PDA

View Full Version : Colouring

PinkPig
06-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Read an article in the Guardian about Colouring Books for adults topping the the Amazon bestseller list.It is supposed to be good for stress. Johanna Basford ( Scottish) has two books , 'The Secret Garden' and ' The Enchanted Forest' which are mentioned as are Millie Marotta and Richard Merritt. Have any of you tried these books and if so which pens would you recommend?

lizcake
06-04-2015, 10:04 AM
I've got both and both are fabulous. I use Prismacolor pencils, very soft and waxy, so any similar brand would do, also you can use gel pens, staedtler triplus fineliners, Marvy le plume, tombo or Whispers felt pens (probably cheap felt pens aimed at the childrens market would suit), just a case of doing a sample test on the paper to ensure that whatever you use does not bleed through. My copy of the Secret Garden is an early edition, and the type of paper they used for printing will only really take pencil, however I've read that since the books have sold out worldwide and are being reprinted the are printing on the same paper as is used for Enchanted Forest which will take inks. You cannot use alcohol based pens on the paper, or watercolour (although dry Inktense pencils are fine), but if you really wanted to you could photocopy the image onto something suitable. Check out Johanna's facebook page or her blog for more ideas and discussions about what mediums people are using and join the millions of us who are loosing ourselves in these beautiful books.

lizcake
06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Sorry, just read your post again, I've only got Johanna's books, I've not tried the other two authors, but I've had a look at them and their artwork did not appeal as much to me.

sam
06-04-2015, 10:39 AM
The Secret Garden is sold in Waterstones. There are some nice images that you can buy to download off Etsy. You can then print them off onto any sort of card/paper to suit your chosen colouring method. If you type in printable colouring pages or adult colouring pages there are quite a few to chose from.

lizcake
06-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Just looked at Waterstones online Sam and The Secret Garden is showing as "May be available in some of our shops", supplies are scarce at the moment everywhere, even amazon uk is quoting 2 to 3 weeks!

sam
06-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Just looked at Waterstones online Sam and The Secret Garden is showing as "May be available in some of our shops", supplies are scarce at the moment everywhere, even amazon uk is quoting 2 to 3 weeks!

Crikey, I've looked at it loads of times in my local Waterstones, just shows what recommendation can do for sales. I've always been put off by the paper that it's printed on, so it's interesting to hear that reprints are being done on another paper type.

RozMinis
06-04-2015, 07:12 PM
The Works had some nice colouring books in last year. I bought one of them, can't remember what it was though, probably way down at the bottom of the bookcase for me to hunt out at the moment. Perhaps when my two new embroidery books come I will have a sort out (another!) and see if I can find it. I think it was probably flowers.

Roz

Roothy
20-06-2015, 07:45 AM
May I come in and say that the Works have quite a few of these books in again this month, I'm thinking of getting one of them, I have tried watercolour pencils on the book I have but when it dries it leaves the paper crinkled, shame really because some of the pictures are really good
roo

PinkPig
23-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Just read some more about this in today's Mail so I went on to Johanna's blog to see what pencils she recommends and have ordered some and her 'Secret Garden'. Looking forward to de- stressing.

Deefersmum
23-06-2015, 02:04 PM
May I come in and say that the Works have quite a few of these books in again this month, I'm thinking of getting one of them, I have tried watercolour pencils on the book I have but when it dries it leaves the paper crinkled, shame really because some of the pictures are really good
roo

I noticed the books too when I made my weekly visit last Friday. I don't know the authors though.

Chalet School Fan
23-06-2015, 05:14 PM
I got some nice ones from the Book People. Not sure that I will use them, but will come in handy as presents for friends who do de-stress that way.

RozMinis
23-06-2015, 06:29 PM
'Himself' was quite keen on some that were on the telly a day or so ago for his watercolouring. Oh hang on, they were embroidery, not colouring in. No matter, it would be possible to photocopy them, then use the graphite paper to transfer the design onto water colour paper.

There were loads of them in The Works today, £5 each, though I noticed a couple of them in a different part of the shop were £2. Those at £5 had the design on both sides, difficult to use with Promarker pens, and others of their ilk, ditto watercolour.

Roz

PinkPig
24-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Book and pencils arrived so had a very pleasant half an hour colouring in flowers and leaves. Think I am going to enjoy this.

Spendsloads
24-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Mr Spendsloads bought me one of the books (I think it was Animal Kingdom) as one of my Christmas presents. The idea really appeals to me (as an 8 or 9 year old, I loved Berol DoodleArt and Altair Design, if anyone else remembers those - wonder if they are still available?), but I must confess that any creative time I have (which is usually only a few hours a week) is spent on my crafty hobbies like cardmaking, crochet and embroidery, so the colouring book is sadly still sitting on the coffee table unused, but I'm sure it will get used one day.....

RozMinis
24-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Story of my life that Spendloads. I have so many 'things to make' that I am having to spread myself even more thinly than ever. How on earth I found time to go to work, even if it was only three days a week I will never know. When I think of how many hours I spent designing and making up all those items for the magazines I shudder. hardly have time to turn around now, much less do stuff for the magazine. Five years ago I thinking I might do another book, maybe on CD, but that isn't going to happen, partly due to the car accident, but mostly because I have little desire anymore, way too many other things I want to do instead.

Roz

Waterlily
24-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Just wondered if anyone subscribed to the Art Therapy publication?

Julie
24-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Last time I looked in Sainsburys there were 5 colouring in mags but I questioned the quality of the paper and they seemed very expensive to me. Think they were around the £6.99 mark.

sam
25-06-2015, 06:48 AM
I've looked at them but the paper is too thin for felt tips.

Jacksmissis
25-06-2015, 12:14 PM
I've just been up to Tesco this morning and they have an adult colouring in book (I don't mean a rude one LOL !!) on the Newspaper stand (its in one of those perspex box affairs they have above the actual newspapers) and its £2.99 and called Creative Colour. I didnt go through it but it has a pretty floral front cover which says 20 pages to colour in.

Spendsloads
25-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I had 5 minutes to spare before my train the other day and popped into Smiths to treat myself to a Knitting/Crochet magazine, only to find that there was only one available (there was previously half a dozen) - but there were at least four or five colouring publications. I guess it has a more mainstream audience than knitting or crochet and it would be something quite good to buy to while away a long journey (not on my commuter train though, where most people have to stand!).

Chalet School Fan
25-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I tried colouring in on the communal sheets in the staff room at school today. I found it very stressful as my colouring wasn't as good as other people and I had as much difficulty staying inside the lines as I did when I was a child. I'm just off for a de-stressing aromatherapy massage - my treat for finishing my reports, which is a lot of time hunched up over a computer. :)

RozMinis
25-06-2015, 06:12 PM
My colouring in was rubbish too. I used to like to paint, received a huge box every C********. What I didn't realise at the time was that watercolour paint isn't supposed to cover the black lines as it isn't thick enough. I used to get really frustrated about it, as in chucking the book across the floor in a temper. I was getting over a nasty illness at the time, so maybe that was the reason I was crosser than normal.

Of course I now know what watercolour and other paints can and can't do. I also appreciate colour mixing and stuff like that. I can spend an age mixing a particular green with other colours, especially brown or red, to see what other shades of green I can come up with. Johnny Cash and his 40 shades of green, more like 400.

Colour pencils were a dead loss when I was a child, but I suspect that could have had something to do with the sharpener as much as the pencils themselves. A dull blade is as much use as no blade at all as all it does is break the wood, which in turns breaks the colour bit in the middle. :(

Roz

PinkPig
26-06-2015, 07:47 PM
It will be a secret vice for me as I am not good at colouring in either. Here is another article about how it can help de-stress you.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jun/26/adult-colouring-in-books-anxiety-stress-mindfulness

Lioness
26-06-2015, 09:29 PM
I was in WHS today and there were about 6 different colouring in books on the shelf. I looked through them but sadly the images did not appeal to me

RozMinis
27-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I was in WHS today and there were about 6 different colouring in books on the shelf. I looked through them but sadly the images did not appeal to me

Must be honest most of them aren't my cup of tea either. I find cross stitching, knitting, etc helps me to relax. All are proven to help reduce blood pressure, well so the 'experts' say anyway. :)

Roz

Chalet School Fan
27-06-2015, 07:35 PM
When my children were small and I was working full-time I used to refer to my cross stitch as my "Valium" as it provided me with therapeutic "me time" and meant I could make a lot of presents for Christmas and birthdays in the days when money was very tight. Like you Roz I think I'll stick with that rather than colouring in. I'm working on a new quilt using a Dutch Dick Bruna alphabet I bought on ebug and knew I'd never make as a sampler as the basis for my squares. Having to juggle the pictures round a bit and add some extras, copied from the knitted Dick Bruna blankets I made years ago from a pattern in Family Circle. But it's an easy sew with lots of big colour blocks so VERY relaxing. :)

Chalet School Fan
28-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Thinking about it while cross stitching in bed this morning, ..... I suppose cross stitch is colouring in with threads, rather than with pencils. And I am known to go outside the lines with those as well. But in Islam you are supposed to make a mistake in your work because perfection only belongs to God. I see it as doing my bit for Muslim-Christian relations!

RozMinis
28-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Good one CSF, I like it. I have heard the saying before, but didn't realise it was Islamic. One lives and learns, thank goodness. A day without learning something is a wasted day. No idea where I heard or read that, but tiz definitely true. Granted I probably forget most new things, but at least I have found out something new which has been filed somewhere in my brains fining cabinet. :)

Yup, needle painting is one term one can use for stitching. I've taken to other forms of counted work in recent years, mostly Hardanger, but I have added pulled thread and drawn thread to my list of achievements. I've also books on other forms of stitching, crochet too.

I hadn't done any patchwork in years as I prefer paper piecing to using the sewing machine. Found it difficult to manipulate a needle since the accident. Anywhooo, things must be looking up, or I am becoming more stubborn, not sure which, but I have found it isn't as painful to sew the pieces together these days.

I bought a nine patch sampler thingie on eBay a few weeks ago, made up one of the blocks, so pleased with it I decided to order the other set before it vanished. Soooo now I have 18 x 12" blocks to keep me busy for yonks. No fabric is included, just the paper pieces (can be reused) and the destructions. I have also invested in some hexagon and 60 degree diamonds. Working on a C********* bag using hexagons for my Bucilla Advent calendar, which will definitely be started on Wednesday the wonth of July. Not sure how I can stitch for C******** on such a stinking hot day, but me and the elves will be very busy. :147:

Roz

Roothy
15-07-2015, 05:45 AM
If anyone is interested in the colouring books, Sainsburys have two of them in the shop, prices are
Animal Kingdom was£3.99
Tropical Wonderland was £4.99
i have bought both, they are by Millie Marotta, and they are no 3 and 4 in the book list,
Christmas presents maybe

PurplePenny
15-07-2015, 08:18 PM
There were loads in The Works (did someone already mention that? apols if I'm late with the news).

A friend has just had one published. It's on Amazon, but you can only see the cover which probably doesn't help anyone know whether they will like the images or not! Her name is Lucinda Hare if anyone is interested and any money she makes from her writing and artwork is used to help animal rescuers in countries that don't have organisations like the RSPCA and Blue Cross.

Chalet School Fan
16-07-2015, 05:27 AM
Went into Smith's yesterday and there was a whole shelf full of colouring books. Obviously the new big thing in craft. Wonder when the first colouring book programme will appear on C&C. Perhaps Tattered Lace will bring one out, with lots of holes in the designs!

PinkPig
16-07-2015, 07:40 AM
I'll be good at colouring the holes!

Jacksmissis
16-07-2015, 03:27 PM
That would be my talent too!

RozMinis
16-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Me too. Dot sold me two packs of floral thingies made by Craft Creations on Tuesday. http://www.craftcreations.com/Leaf/2685/1/New-Products/ Probably wouldn't have bought them, but they are individual sheets of really good quality card that will take watercolour paints. Soooo that is another small C******** prezzie for 'himself. We don't go in for one large prezzie, or even just one prezzie, but lots of lickle ones.

Roz

PinkPig
01-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Well I was tempted by the half price weekender deal and have bought the spectrum aqua pens, also a lovely cat themed colouring in book as I have enjoyed having a go. The results are not for sharing mind!

RozMinis
01-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Must admit if I wasn't already somewhat snowed under by watercolour paints of various types, pens and pencils I would have gone for them too as they seemed pretty good value. Though until I find out what the council and British gas are doing I am going to have to be a bit careful with my pennies. :mysmilie_503:

Roz

PinkPig
21-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Just seen this article in the Independent . I have a cat one, but it was cheaper than that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/arts-books/colouring-books-colouring-books-for-adults-johanna-basford-millie-morotta-10464381.html