PDA

View Full Version : MISTI stamping tool

Deefersmum
02-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Has anyone got one of these? They seem to be around $50 (around £32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcceRmrg2LU

RozMinis
02-06-2015, 07:28 PM
It looks interesting, but a bit pricey for me to want to buy.

Roz

Jacksmissis
02-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Nifty gadget Deefy, bet it makes batch making very fast - you could try Amazon for better price?

playingwithpaper
03-06-2015, 12:07 AM
A few of my friends have them, with shipping & customs they work out around £70 to get them in the uk, more if you don't buy direct from the designer (she allegedly wont drop prices for wholesale). My friends are very happy with their decision to buy but I wasn't hugely impressed with it (for the money) in use. Great for clear stamps and those that are problematic to get good impressions from, great if you're making invites and have to stamp 100 identical card fronts but I wasn't impressed with the flaffing about with red rubber stamps to get perfect position. I'm also not impressed with the sheer amount of complaints going round forums & facebook groups about the plastic cracking and it only having a 90 day warranty.

If I had problems getting a clean stamped image on a regular basis or I made invites for a living I'd think about it but I'd still struggle to justify that sort of cost for what is essentially a stamping block. I rarely do get issues with stamping tho, maybe if I struggled with it I'd think differently.

The misti isnt the only book style stamping gadget around, dimension stamps launched a version a couple of years ago although that relies on taping the paper in place rather than magnets and some people are having success using cd cases as a block.

Deefersmum
03-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Jennifer McGuire has a vid showing how it can be used for repetitive stamping. I agree that it would be great if you were doing that for a living, but I would worry about the strength of the plastic hinges if it was used that much.

http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2015/02/video-mass-producing-cards-with-misti-tool-giveaway.html

I have just bought the Crafts Too Stampeazee but I haven't had a chance to use it yet (been laying more paving slabs and another ton of chippings and feel about 150.......)

Lioness
03-06-2015, 08:29 AM
I haven't watched the video yet but read a lot of reviews. It would seem that the main concern is that the grid has been printed onto the block, and could fade or be rubbed off through repetitive cleaning. There are specific instructions on what you can or cannot use. If the plastic cracks, then that is not good. Neither is a 90 day warranty.
It could be useful if you were making lots of multiples of cards for sale or charity. I tend only to make the cards I need so would not "need" one.

Jacksmissis
03-06-2015, 09:16 AM
On Deefy's link the lady cracked the plastic and I just thought it was a one off, but it would seem to be a problem, and as you say, its not peanuts to buy - thats probably why its so expensive if wholesalers cant get it.

A couple of years ago. one of our members on here (so sorry cant remember who it was) was crafting at a friends (waiting for a parcel, I think) and she forgot to take a stamping block and improvised with a lid off a tub or butter or ice cream and that worked but obviously not for lining up. I'm not into stamping on that level, so it wouldnt get used really. Most of our stamping blocks are of clear acrylic these days, maybe you could laminate a lined grid onto something like that?

clumsycrafter
03-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Totally different I know - but I've just had a coffee so anything can happen - I've ordered the Fiskars thingymajig from amazon weeks ago - but it's coming from the US. If it ever arrives I will let you know what I think : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NUZB8S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I am hoping it will help with my arthritic thumb!!!

playingwithpaper
03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
The fiskars stamp press and the crafts too stampeaze are basically a thin sheet of gridded perspex balanced on 4 sponge feet. They are fantastic tools for those who can't stamp down in a straight motion or for those who have issues holding a block. Must admit I thought they were going to be a waste of time for those who can stamp reasonably well but they're actually great if you have huge stamps that can be problematic and brilliant if you want to stamp on slick surfaces like acetate, glossy card or shrink plastic because you can't skid the stamp as you try to press down.

On the down side they can't be used with placement tools like stampamajigs so unlike the misti if you only get a partial impression you're not going to be able to restamp and if you have the larger fiskars one you do also need to have a fairly large clear area on the desk, not the 2" square area I usually work in ;)

If money isnt an issue please don't let me put anyone off of buying the misti, it really does make it easier to get a good result, I just don't think it's worth the cost for me. If it were £20 I'd probably get one.

Deefersmum
03-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Totally different I know - but I've just had a coffee so anything can happen - I've ordered the Fiskars thingymajig from amazon weeks ago - but it's coming from the US. If it ever arrives I will let you know what I think : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NUZB8S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I am hoping it will help with my arthritic thumb!!!

How many weeks ago CC? I have ordered loads of stuff from Supermart and it usually arrives within 2 - 2.5 weeks.

clumsycrafter
03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Deefy, I have responded but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. It is just 2 weeks so I am not worried. I have ordered from them before without problems apart from 1 which got delayed in the UK.

Jacksmissis
03-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Yep, mine was about 10 days from USA - came via Belgium. That seems a long time CC - unless they told you perhaps? And our Roz gets loads of stuff fro USA dont think she has probelms, well except once and it was quickly sorted.

Didnt realise there was so much available for stampers - some brainy folk out there aren't there!

RozMinis
03-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Wot? Somebody mentioned my name.................... Yup, love Supermart to bits. If stuff doesn't arrive, it did happen once, they will either refund or post a replacement without a quibble.

I've put one of those Fiskars thingies in my Wish List as they definitely look interesting. I have more arguments with my thumb than I have hot dinners. There are a couple of other goodies I want from Supermart, forgotten what, but I am sure I will remember eventually. I know it was sumfink to do with patchwork, but what I dunno. Bound to remember while I am on my hols when I don't have Internet access. ;)

Roz

pyjama princess
03-06-2015, 07:59 PM
I have the Fiskars stamping 'thingy' - I've had it ages as it was a free gift for subscribing to a craft magazine. I think Welly had one too.
It's now in residence at the care home I work at so that some of the residents can do stamping. Some of them are able to use wooden stamps or acrylic blocks. It's really easy for them to push down and the surface is large enough for me to put my hand on as well to keep it steady.
The spongy bits are glued on and one keeps falling off but can be pushed back on again.

Deefersmum
03-06-2015, 08:24 PM
I have the Fiskars stamping 'thingy' - I've had it ages as it was a free gift for subscribing to a craft magazine. I think Welly had one too.
It's now in residence at the care home I work at so that some of the residents can do stamping. Some of them are able to use wooden stamps or acrylic blocks. It's really easy for them to push down and the surface is large enough for me to put my hand on as well to keep it steady.
The spongy bits are glued on and one keeps falling off but can be pushed back on again.

I'm cheating slightly in that I can stamp OK, but thought I would buy the Stampeazee so that I could set up the stamps for a card on the surface and just keep stamping without having to keep lining everything up.

dyzni
07-06-2015, 07:00 PM
I've got the fiskers stamp thingy. It's great. Had mine years.