PDA

View Full Version : New Addiction!

RozMinis
16-06-2015, 07:30 PM
I blame Christine at Dot's shop, she has now got me into patchwork. Haven't done any in years, so if nowt else gets done, and I end up skint (again) then I will know who to blame. :mysmilie_466:

Roz

Jacksmissis
16-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Aww Roz, what we gonna do with ya?? Theres only 24 hrs in a day and you use up 36 - not gettin any younger tha knows!!

notmorecraft
17-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Patchwork will definitely make you skint, I can't walk past a fabric shop, tell myself, I'll just have a wee feel at the fabrics, who am I kidding? Two minutes in and I've spent loads of dosh. Brought some kits back from Alaska excuse-can't get them here! Could have just bought the patterns but the kits were soooo nice I couldn't resist and him indoors encouraged me, happy sewing x

Muffintop
17-06-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm not quite sure whether my fabric stash is actually SABLE (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy) but I do have a nice stash of yummy fabrics which have been gathered over the years. I also got given a lot of fabric by a friend who inherited it and didn't want it (I know I couldn't believe it either!). I tried to be strong and refuse it but the addiction proved too strong and it found a new home in my crafty space. :blush:

Welcome to our world Roz, we would hold an intervention for you but we know what's like to stand up and confess to being a Stash Addict. :mysmilie_507:

Jilly
17-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Love the term 'SABLE' - haven't heard that one before!

notmorecraft
17-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Haha Muffintop, I don't have a stash I have PIGS ( American acronym) projects in grocery sacks, lol sounds better than saying a stash of unused fabric, especially when you see more you can't resist ����

RozMinis
17-06-2015, 06:58 PM
I've heard SABLE before, Jane Greenoff mentions it quite often, but not heard of PIGS. I think I have both, well perhaps not grocery sacks, but plastic bags from Tesco, other stores are available! ;)

Christine emailed me on Sunday to tell me about the chap in the market who sells fabric. £7.50 a metre 100% cotton patchwork fabric, plus fat quarters for £1.50, charm packs and jelly rolls. Soooo there was me mooching through the fat quarters, before I knew it I had picked nine. Had to make it up to a nice round number, so found another I liked. The smile he gave me when I gave him the correct money was priceless.

Better make sure I keep well away from the market for a while, or I will be spending even more. As it was I bought two pairs of fat quarters in Carlisle and Cockermouth, could have spent squillions in that shop. Then to make matters worse I found packs of five fat quarters in Carlisle market at £7.99 a pack. Would have been churlish not to have bought one or two, ended up with three. Drat, should have bought some Christmas ones as well.

My fetish is English paper piecing, you wouldn't believe how difficult I find that to say, piecing always comes out as piercing. Can't be bothered to cut the papers myself, so Christine (her again) told me to try eBay. Found loads, and also a couple of paper templates for nine patch blocks. No fabric, just the papers. Can't find my rotary cutter, so have had to invest in a new one, plus a spare blade. I have looked in the only place it should be, it isn't, so I give up. Also bought a ruler, ruler handle, and some flower head pins. I am ok for a cutting mat as I keep a self healing one stored under my glass cutting thingie. Never used it as I hardly ever use a knife these days, so I know it is in perfect condition, not covered in glue like the glass one. :)

Roz

Jacksmissis
17-06-2015, 07:15 PM
If you borrow a razor blade (permanently of course !) from 'himself' you should be able to get your glue off that glass Roz - if he uses the old fashioned blades that is, if not, see if he has a stanley knife, and nick one of the blades from that. That's what I used actually, then I went over the whole glass with glue remover on a make-up remover pad and it was just like new.

Roz whats paper piecing please? I've often wondered but thought peeps had just missed the 'r' out and they meant making a decorative design by piercing - I've led a very sheltered life LOL !!

RozMinis
17-06-2015, 07:28 PM
I've got a Stanley knife of my own, what is more I even know where it is, on my craft table. How good is that! ;)

Paper piecing is what us lot over this side of the pond have always called patchwork, but the Americans had to give it a proper title since they were the ones who were keenest on using a sewing machine. Now much as I love 'herself' I prefer doing stuff by hand, it takes longer, but makes less noise.

Anyroadup, it is done using paper patches: hexagons or squares, diamonds, triangles, that sort of thing The papers are cut first, then pinned to the fabric, which is cut around the paper leaving a quarter inch or so to turn over. The turned over bit is tacked, then the pieces are oversewn together with the right sides facing. This website probably explains it far better than me. Pictures are better than a thousand words http://www.paperpieces.com/english-paper-piecing-the-basics.htm

Roz

Jacksmissis
18-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and there's you saying you know nowt ! I've had a look at your link (lovely explanations of terms too, thanks!) but I'm NOT going to do it............. I'm not, really I'm not - I have enough 'roundtuit's' so........................................

RozMinis
18-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Sigh, I've just signed up for another 'round tuit'. A C******** in July cross stitch ornament. This is after signing up to a C******** in July miniaturist exchange. Still two more minis to make for the C******** Advent, four to make for the C******** raffle, then who knows what. I intend making a start on my Bucilla Advent calendar on the wonth of July no matter what. Even if all I achieve that day is taking it out of the packet and sorting out the beads, sequins and stuff.

Wonder if I can get all those projects done before the wonth of July. At least the C******** Advent doesn't need to be posted until mid November, and the raffle will be mid December at the latest, so I don't actually need to panic over those yet. :)

Dunno about a 36 hour day, I reckon I need a 56 hour one, and no sleeping either! One thing is for sure, I am not going to die of boredom. ;)

Roz

EssexAnne
18-06-2015, 10:09 PM
You must be running on Duracell batteries!

Jacksmissis
19-06-2015, 08:41 AM
No she 's plugged into the 'mains' EssexAnne!!

EssexAnne
19-06-2015, 10:53 AM
:mysmilie_859:

Muffintop
19-06-2015, 01:11 PM
I started off paper piecing and it's still my favourite way especially as I'm not too confident on my lovely sewing machine. There is a blog called Flossie Teacakes and she makes the most beautiful quilts but they are a bit complicated for me. I like the PIGS term. I turned on QVC this morning and they were flogging storage sacks at £20 plus postage! LAst week I found some cut price Curver boxes on Hobbycraft at £5 which are studier and patchwork printed, just need to fill them now. So Roz this what you need, new lovely shiny storage for your stash. Plus, Kaffe Fassett has an exhibition of some of his quilts at the Quilt Museum in York at the moment for inspiration.

I'm a bit mad on crochet at the moment and also, have a found a local knitting group who want teeny-tiny knitted and crochet things, and I'm also making two baby quilts for expectant colleagues. So, it's either hit the Sanotagen or get plugged into the mains with Roz!!!!!

RozMinis
19-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Now that is a good idea, plug me in Scotty! ;)

Now it is all very well buying storage stuff Muffin, but where do I store it? The top of the wardrobe is already up to the ceiling with 'stuff'. The drawers in the bed are also full of 'stuff', clothes and bedding actually. My office is overflowing, ditto the two floor to ceiling cupboards in the lounge. I need a bigger bungalow, and I need it now.............. so if t'Thunderball would like to come up with the correct numbers tonight.................. :)

Roz

Jacksmissis
19-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm a bit mad on crochet at the moment and also, have a found a local knitting group who want teeny-tiny knitted and crochet things, and I'm also making two baby quilts for expectant colleagues. So, it's either hit the Sanotagen or get plugged into the mains with Roz!!!!!

or do they still make Phyllosan I wonder (spel?) you know girls, the stuff that fortifies the over forties ????!!!!

RozMinis
20-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Hahahaha, could have done with it this afternoon. I actually fell asleep while the racing was on. Just shows how bliddy useless my horses were.

Nearly finished my first 12" block, but may have to put it to onside when I have finished it and concentrate on some C******** cards of the prick and stitch variety. Just hope I don't get carried away as I did last year and end up pricking 40+ of 'em. Must remember there are other card making 'stuff' in my stash, and some of it needs to be used up. Have to make some time for some parchment cards n'all. :)

Roz