PDA

View Full Version : Is Needlepoint same as Tapestry ?

Julie
29-08-2015, 06:44 PM
I have seen some beautiful Needlepoint kits on the web but I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Is Needlepoint the same as Tapestry. Is it all just one stitch and is it suitable for a beginner. Finally does anyone have any experience with Elizabeth Bradley kits ? :mysmilie_501:

Thank you in advance.

Jacksmissis
29-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Best off asking waterlilly or Roz Julie, they both do proper sewing like that I only do ordinary stuff ! Someone will be along before evenings out with an answer for you I'm sure.

janet
29-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Best off asking waterlilly or Roz Julie, they both do proper sewing like that I only do ordinary stuff ! Someone will be along before evenings out with an answer for you I'm sure.

I thought needlepoint left spaces etc and did different stitches whereas tapestry fills in every space? Might be wrong though. Did a huge picture of a dalmatian once which was tapestry and then did a japanese scene which was called a needlepoint kit with only the figures embroidered. But then I'm no expert !!

glynisrose
29-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Technically tapestry is woven not stitched, but the technique of using wool to sew with is known as tapestry. Its just tent stitch as far as I can remember!!

Waterlily
30-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Hi Julie

I've never done needlepoint so can't help I'm afraid. I would like to know what it is too lol.
Don't think I've done any tapestry either.

Waterlily
30-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Don't know if this is any help Julie, looks quite interesting.

http://www.dmc-usa.com/Education/Technique-Overviews/Needlepoint/Tapestry-Stitch-Guide.aspx

Julie
30-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Don't know if this is any help Julie, looks quite interesting.

http://www.dmc-usa.com/Education/Technique-Overviews/Needlepoint/Tapestry-Stitch-Guide.aspx

Thanks Pam, very informative. There is more to it than I thought !

RozMinis
30-08-2015, 06:18 PM
As glynisrose says needlepoint is normally tent stitch, whereas tapestry is woven. Which means that the Bayeux Tapestry isn't a tapestry, but an embroidery which uses several stitches, but mostly split stitch.

Tent stitch looks a lot like half cross stitch, but because it is done somewhat differently, it uses more wool, and is trickier to work. Actually I hate tent stitch, but then I'm not exactly fond of half cross stitch either. Both stitches tend to distort the canvas. I don't like the look of it either, especially in mini work, so I usually end up working my mini rugs in cross stitch instead.

I've see those Elizabeth Bradley kits for sale in The Viking Loom in York. Would love to own a bell-pull, but apart from not having the time, I wouldn't be able to afford to have it finished properly. The bell-pull ends cost nearly £100, so I think we will leave it on the 'when I win a million' list. I reckon I would probably get bored with it anyway, I'm more into doing things with heaps of different stitches, those Jane Greenoff stitched books for instance. :)

Roz

Jacksmissis
30-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Bet you wish you'd never asked Julie LOL !!

I say Roz thats very expensive isnt it? for the bell pull end thingy?

Julie
30-08-2015, 07:44 PM
In some ways I am non the wiser. On some websites the kit I want is called Tapestry on others it's called Needlepoint and on the Liberty site it's called both. Anyway decided to go for one, the Viking Loom is the cheapest I have found with free p and p too. They don't seem to stock the Blooms range but say they can order stuff in, a call will be made Tuesday.

Roz you should be on commission !

Jacksmissis
31-08-2015, 08:05 AM
She's a mind of information bless her!

RozMinis
31-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Bet you wish you'd never asked Julie LOL !!

I say Roz thats very expensive isnt it? for the bell pull end thingy?

They are that chuck, but they are solid metal and beautifully ornate.. :)

Roz

RozMinis
31-08-2015, 07:07 PM
She's a mind of information bless her!

Most of it pretty useless n'all. ;)

Roz

RozMinis
31-08-2015, 07:11 PM
In some ways I am non the wiser. On some websites the kit I want is called Tapestry on others it's called Needlepoint and on the Liberty site it's called both. Anyway decided to go for one, the Viking Loom is the cheapest I have found with free p and p too. They don't seem to stock the Blooms range but say they can order stuff in, a call will be made Tuesday.

Roz you should be on commission !

Ooooo, now that would be a nice idea, would lurve a bit of extra spending money. I reckon Christine ought to be on commission at Dot's shop, she usually manages to sell me somat when Dot isn't there. Perhaps I ought to hide both purse and credit/debit cards tomorrow as Dot has gone to the caravan for a few days. Probably a very soggy caravan after all the rain we have had recently.

Roz

Spendsloads
01-09-2015, 06:54 AM
As far as I am aware, tapestry is supposed to be a type of weaving, but the term is more commonly used for stitching in tent stitch (half cross stitch) on canvas. I have always called that kind of stitching tapestry, though the Royal School of Needlework calls it canvas work, particularly when a wider variety of stitches is used.

My mum had two sisters who moved to New York and Canada and they were both keen on needlepoint, which we would called tapestry. So in answer to Julie's question, I would say they are usually the same thing and yes, it is usually all the same stitch and it is very suitable for a beginner. I think I posted elsewhere that I was given a tapestry/needlepoint kit when I was 5 and I managed to do it. The ones with the pattern printed on the canvas are easier than the ones with a paper pattern to follow, but you don't get quite as much detail. It can get a bit repetitive after a while though, because unlike cross stitch, all the background has to be filled, so it can take a long time to do, but a lot of people enjoy it for that very reason as they find it very relaxing.

The Elizabeth Bradley kits are beautiful. I've never worked one myself, but I've seen them at shows and they look lovely. I hope you enjoy your new hobby Julie.

Spendsloads
01-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Oh, just thought of one more thing. I've found that the kits entirely stitched from tent stitch can get out of shape - something to do with the stitches all going in the same direction, so you should either consider using a frame to keep the shape (but makes it less portable) or you may have to block it (dampening it and gently stretching it back to the right shape by pinning it to a board) when you have finished. There will probably be instruction on this inside the kit.

Julie
13-09-2015, 08:04 PM
And now for my next daft question .......

Have been lucky enough to have been bought one of the Elizabeth Bradley kits for Chrimbo so have bought myself a kit by the Historical Sampler Co to have a go on. It will become a cushion and measures 19 1/4 inches square. What size frame do I need, do I go much smaller or try to find one of similar size ?