PDA

View Full Version : one hour on a colouring book yawn

marc
02-09-2015, 08:49 AM
i know colouring books are big at the mo but a hour show to tell you how to colour its a bit like watching paint dry , they dont even have add on sales like the best pens and pencils ect to use with these books . you can hardly see the drawings in the book as the camera work is so bad yes its very relaxing in fact its so boring to watch it puts you to sleep in the first 5 mins lol but i am hoping to learn how to stay inside the lines and not to scribble in the next show lol big love marc

Deefersmum
02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Come on you party pooper - you know you're dying to get your wax crayons out.....

Little Jan
02-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Not ready to be trusted with felt tips yet though lol

marc
02-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Lol Deefersmum my mum wont let me use crayons anymore not since i stuck one up my nose in 1958 lol but i am allowed plastic scissors if supervised by any one over 5 lol well i am off to do some digi stamping which is not anything like real stamping but pretend its just printing out and colouring in ,so is that like a homemade colouring book lol who can say lol must go i bored myself big love marc

Deefersmum
02-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Lol Deefersmum my mum wont let me use crayons anymore not since i stuck one up my nose in 1958 lol but i am allowed plastic scissors if supervised by any one over 5 lol well i am off to do some digi stamping which is not anything like real stamping but pretend its just printing out and colouring in ,so is that like a homemade colouring book lol who can say lol must go i bored myself big love marc

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:mysmilie_867:

Muffintop
02-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Perhaps it's me, but this doesn't appeal at all. I have set the sky box for the dolls house programme, as I know nothing about these at all. Despite the dodgy sound and light it is nice to see something a little different and different faces. Still not convinced by the channel in terms of longevity but we'll see, for now it's nice to see a change to the hard-sell and bored looking presenters on C&C. Have to say Martyn did look quite animated on Tilly Rose's show the other night, perhaps HE's been reading this forum...

Shepherdess
02-09-2015, 03:06 PM
The thought of another hour of adult colouring books seems to have sent the whole channel to sleep as it's off air with a technical fault, so you're all going to miss this riveting programme.

Mitzi
02-09-2015, 03:27 PM
It was off air this morning as well (8am). I did wonder if it had gone bust already.

Deefersmum
02-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Just had another thought on this (steady!) do you still have the crayon stuck up your nose?

ChelseaGirl
02-09-2015, 04:44 PM
I have to agree, hours throughout the day of colouring in is pointless. We all know how to colour in - learnt before going to nursery :cool:.

I appreciate it has made a big comeback now for adults, with books that have more detailed designs, but really that is about as much as there is to it.

Jacksmissis
02-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Oh Deefy, thats gross!!

Deefersmum
02-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Oh Deefy, thats gross!!

Tee hee :devil::mysmilie_11:

Deefersmum
02-09-2015, 06:51 PM
If you missed the programme this morning, or would like to watch it again, it is on now.

RozMinis
02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Perhaps it's me, but this doesn't appeal at all. I have set the sky box for the dolls house programme, as I know nothing about these at all. Despite the dodgy sound and light it is nice to see something a little different and different faces. Still not convinced by the channel in terms of longevity but we'll see, for now it's nice to see a change to the hard-sell and bored looking presenters on C&C. Have to say Martyn did look quite animated on Tilly Rose's show the other night, perhaps HE's been reading this forum...

Don't get too excited love. During the first ten minutes the sound was abysmal. I had to turn the brightness up so high that when I turned on for the BBC news I was blinded. The second hour lasted for about 30 minutes, and the third hour was a repeat of the first hour because (like the second hour) the gremlins were hard at work.

The goodies themselves were interesting, though quite what one would do with all those pitchers (jugs) boxes and vanity cases I have no idea. The board games during the first half of the second hour were interesting. My only problem is that Victoria dolls houses are no longer quite the 'in thing' anymore. Peeps seem to be going for other era's, anything from Tudor to the present day, and all points in-between.

Link fot the My Tiny World website if anybody is interested in what they sell. http://www.mytinyworld.co.uk/ Not just Victorian either I am pleased to say, though somewhat expensive.

Roz

RozMinis
02-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Totally disinterest at Walters Towers when it comes to colouring in. Having said that I have bought two thingies from Dot's shop for 'himself' for Christmas, but they are for him to copy over so he can paint them in watercolours.

Roz

Dax
02-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Wish I had been able to see the programme on colouring books even if it was dire. I can keep between the lines but would like help on putting colours together. I am not at all arty. Hubby bought two books from The Works today with fairies in. Plan to scan and print images so we can both use them.

auntie
02-09-2015, 09:15 PM
well it says it is the dolls house stuff on , but they are flogging a garment steamer :(

TheGildedStrawb
02-09-2015, 09:33 PM
I caught a little bit of the colouring show, and was quite disappointed by the fact it was just 2 women colouring in an image that wasn't exactly close enough to see. Now I'm no expert, but it would have made more sense to have a range of pens, pencils, accessories like decent putty erasers, that you could buy to go with said book. The techniques that are available- using pencils to blend or using OMS, using wax based or oil based pencils were never touched on in the half hour or so I saw (so if they did do this, then sorry :) ). Surely the point of having a colourist in the studio is to discuss exactly the techniques that people want to learn, in order to get realistic looking images...this was a bit of fail in my opinion.

Debbie x

Just as an aside, I find most miniature shops and websites expensive. Wasn't quite sure what the point of spending nearly £30 for something you could make at a fraction of the price was all about...maybe I am missing the point. I didn't see the board game bit - that sounds quite interesting.

ChelseaGirl
03-09-2015, 07:51 AM
I caught a little bit of the colouring show, and was quite disappointed by the fact it was just 2 women colouring in an image that wasn't exactly close enough to see. Now I'm no expert, but it would have made more sense to have a range of pens, pencils, accessories like decent putty erasers, that you could buy to go with said book. The techniques that are available- using pencils to blend or using OMS, using wax based or oil based pencils were never touched on in the half hour or so I saw (so if they did do this, then sorry :) ). Surely the point of having a colourist in the studio is to discuss exactly the techniques that people want to learn, in order to get realistic looking images...this was a bit of fail in my opinion.......

Yes, I agree, they could have made the show much more interesting. Even the colouring in was done in block colours so not even any shading or depth to it. Oh well, it is early days... perhaps they are waiting for the buyers to get more stuff in to demo with.

marc
03-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Just had another thought on this (steady!) do you still have the crayon stuck up your nose?

i am not sure were it went , but its funny now i come to think about it every now and again i get waxs in my ears ,just maybe it comes from that crayon , who knows ? who can say ? its all a bit strange if you ask me lol big love marc

PinkPig
03-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Just watched the recording of the last show from yesterday- or rather didn't watch. The best bit was when they cut to a video because the sound was down. Didn't bother watching any more of it. Why aren't they even getting the camera angles right? They can look at C&C to see professional studio work from the producing point of view. Really hoping that the Craft Channel will start off at a higher standard.

Jacksmissis
03-09-2015, 11:40 AM
I've deleted every programme I've taped too. If I watch on my lappy live its good pic and sound but the recordings haven't been good at all.

Jacksmissis
03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
And Marc..............the doggies piccies are lovely are they (the doggies) all yours? they look like Bassets

Deefersmum
03-09-2015, 12:17 PM
And Marc..............the doggies piccies are lovely are they (the doggies) all yours? they look like Bassets

If they're all his he either has a very big house, or the dogs live in his house and he lives at the end of the garden in a tent/shed.

I saw a most bizarre dog the other day - a Shar pei crossed with a Bassett.

Jacksmissis
03-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Goodness me!

Deefersmum
03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Goodness me!

I've sent you a pm JM

RozMinis
03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
I caught a little bit of the colouring show, and was quite disappointed by the fact it was just 2 women colouring in an image that wasn't exactly close enough to see. Now I'm no expert, but it would have made more sense to have a range of pens, pencils, accessories like decent putty erasers, that you could buy to go with said book. The techniques that are available- using pencils to blend or using OMS, using wax based or oil based pencils were never touched on in the half hour or so I saw (so if they did do this, then sorry :) ). Surely the point of having a colourist in the studio is to discuss exactly the techniques that people want to learn, in order to get realistic looking images...this was a bit of fail in my opinion.

Debbie x

Just as an aside, I find most miniature shops and websites expensive. Wasn't quite sure what the point of spending nearly £30 for something you could make at a fraction of the price was all about...maybe I am missing the point. I didn't see the board game bit - that sounds quite interesting.

I'm with you there regarding the peripheral stuff required for colouring in.

In days of old, al la Queen Mary's Dolls House, it was the done thing to spend squillions on goodies for them. Items in real silver, gold, paintings, that sort of thing. Then it became a plaything for a child. Once the 1/12th scale movement got going (1/16th for children) the sky once again became the limit, but, and this is the important bit, it also became a way of using ones own skills.

I have seen a 1/12th scale chest freezer on sale for over a £100, I paid that for a real live working one a few years ago. There is a chap in Ireland who makes 1/12th scale roll top desks that sell for over £1000. Now many of these artisans get a tad grumpy when the rest of us buy cheap imported items, or heaven help us when a family member is happy to make bespoke furniture for us. Oh no, that just won't do, we are taking away their livelihood, can't be having that now can we?

Now I do have a couple of pieces of imported furniture, 'himself' is not good in the round. But he has made most of it for me. The houses themselves have been bought as kits, putting those together wasn't always as easy as one might think, though on the whole not as bad as furniture kits from B & Q. Most other goodies I make myself, though I have struggled with the polymer clay 'canes' so usually buy those from Angie Scarr, but we are talking cheap stuff here.

Miniatures can be as cheap or expensive as one wants them to be, or can afford.

Roz

RozMinis
03-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Just watched the recording of the last show from yesterday- or rather didn't watch. The best bit was when they cut to a video because the sound was down. Didn't bother watching any more of it. Why aren't they even getting the camera angles right? They can look at C&C to see professional studio work from the producing point of view. Really hoping that the Craft Channel will start off at a higher standard.

I've told 'em to nip round to my place and I'll let them have a few spare lightbulbs!

Roz

marc
19-09-2015, 01:38 AM

they are basset hounds and i only have 3 of them now i did have 8 and no i dont live in a tent lol i have a place in nottinghill and one in worchester big love marc

marc
19-09-2015, 01:38 AM

they are basset hounds and i only have 3 of them now i did have 8 and no i dont live in a tent lol i have a place in Nottinghill and one in worcester big love marc

Little Jan
19-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Nothing like boasting you have two places that you posted it twice lol

Craftysusan
27-09-2015, 08:50 AM
The colouring book is back on now. It would have been interesting if the guest had showed us how to colour in, shading in or highlighting etc as Leanne or Nicky does on C&C. Big yawn for me I'm afraid.

RozMinis
27-09-2015, 06:26 PM
I would much rather have Terry Harrison showing us how to paint. Colouring in pre printed pictures does nothing for me at all. I know they say it is a great stress buster, but so is cross stitching (proven fact) knitting, crochet, and many other crafts.

Roz

jube
28-09-2015, 08:39 AM
I watched Sara Hurley and enjoyed it. I have just been given a colouring book for my birthday so the programme was a great help.

ChelseaGirl
28-09-2015, 09:51 AM
The colouring book is back on now. It would have been interesting if the guest had showed us how to colour in, shading in or highlighting etc as Leanne or Nicky does on C&C. Big yawn for me I'm afraid.

Yes it would have been nice to have some shading techniques shown but Nicky is really one of a kind when she colours in her stamp designs they do come to life. :)

Julie
28-09-2015, 05:26 PM
I too would love to see some skilled colouring whether it be pens, pencils or paints. Shading, shadowing and highlighting would be great.

Lately all inking, painting etc I have seen defy the Laws of Physics.

RozMinis
28-09-2015, 07:07 PM
I shudder to think what laws my attempts defy! ;) 'Himself' is the colourist, and pretty damn good he is at it too, even if he does use the 'school of Terry Harrison' technique. I'm more into playing with the paints themselves to see what new shades/colours I can come up with. Amazing how many shades of green one can make with red, yellow and blue. Or even using a single shade of green and adding red or brown to it.

Roz

holliecraft
28-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Gosh Roz, different shades of green was the subject of my watercolour painting class today. As you said, adding a touch of red or brown can produce fantastic variations of colour to basic green. I would love to see painting techniques added to the shows.

RozMinis
29-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Meeeee tooooo, we want Terry, well me n 'himsen' do. Two out of however million who watch these craft channels sounds a lot to me, but then I think I may be feeling a lickle tipsy with these pain killers I have had today, so my sums are probably a bit out of sync. ;)

Roz

Mangakitty
25-10-2015, 12:17 PM
I too watched one of the shows with Sarah Hurley and enjoyed it. She did give some tips on blending the pens to get different shades and how to highlight. I found the show both entertaining and relaxing and would welcome more.......Plus, I checked the price of the 2 colouring books they were selling and they were cheaper than on amazon.