PDA

View Full Version : Textere Yarns

Muffintop
14-10-2015, 05:01 PM
I received an email from the company this week to say they had gone in liquidation. A sad sign of the times. I have bought bits and pieces from them over the years but not a lot.

RozMinis
14-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Oh what a shame. Can't remember if I have bought from them or not, dim and distant past if I have. Dot has decided she is no longer going to stock knitting yarns. I didn't really think they would sell all that well to be honest, not with one good yarn shop and two stalls in the covered market, plus another in the semi covered, might even be more in the uncovered market for all I know. Mind you she did have a good day yesterday as I bought enough yarn to make a pair of those bootee slippers, Christine bought the same for a pair for herself, and Paula bought another two balls. She has other chunky yarns that would work up nice too, so I might invest in more eventually.

Roz

Jacksmissis
14-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Oh thats a shame Muffintop, I hate to hear of anyone getting into a mess - its very sad, you just want to hug them.

Roz, I have that pattern for the bootee/slippers and I'd love to have a go - is it suitable for newbies do you think? Seems like an awful lot of wool for 2 slippers!!

Jacksmissis
14-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Oh thats a shame Muffintop, I hate to hear of anyone getting into a mess - its very sad, you just want to hug them.

Roz, I have that pattern for the bootee/slippers and I'd love to have a go - is it suitable for newbies do you think? Seems like an awful lot of wool for 2 slippers!!

RozMinis
15-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Well chuck, you need to know how to do double crochet, half treble and treble, plus treble 2/treble 3 together, and slip stitching the pieces together. I've used the treble around the post forward/back thingie in 1/12th scale in the past. Lots of nawty words said a the time, but it should (in theory) be easier in thick yarn.

I bought three red and five white on Tuesday. I know there are 10 metres more in the James C Brett yarn than the Deramores, but even so it shouldn't have made as much difference as it has. I have worked the foot for both boots, but haven't finished the first ball yet. So even allowing for the extra yarn, there is no way I will be using all three of the red. There is still quite a lot left on the first ball of white, so watch this space. The yarn from Deramores arrived this afternoon, considering it is s'posed to be 50% Merino, compared to 10% in the James C Brett, I don't think it is as soft, well not in MHO anyroadup.

I've managed to reach row 12 today, and am beginning to wish I hadn't as my poor lickle fumble hurts. Would have helped if I'd been able to buy a Clover Soft Touch hook, or something of that ilk. No matter I will continue with the pair I am doing, then invest in the hook at Harrogate in six weeks. :) Just taken two Codeine, so hopefully they will help a bit.

Roz

Jacksmissis
16-10-2015, 08:08 AM
ooh Roz, I can do the first 3 (I've been on a course don't 'ya know ha ha ha) but not sure about the rest! Perhaps on one cold snowy night over winter I might have a go. Tell you what I do like, on my course, the lady showed us a little cushion type square which is called "Waffle" but she thought it may be to confusing for us newbies to do, but I found the destructions on YouTube and I did manage it - its ever so pretty (to me) so maybe I could have a go at the slippers. One thing for sure, they won't be fit enough to be a gift for anyone LOL !!

Go easy with them codeine's flower - play havock with your tummy, but I know how you feel.

Jacksmissis
16-10-2015, 08:09 AM
ooh Roz, I can do the first 3 (I've been on a course don't 'ya know ha ha ha) but not sure about the rest! Perhaps on one cold snowy night over winter I might have a go. Tell you what I do like, on my course, the lady showed us a little cushion type square which is called "Waffle" but she thought it may be to confusing for us newbies to do, but I found the destructions on YouTube and I did manage it - its ever so pretty (to me) so maybe I could have a go at the slippers. One thing for sure, they won't be fit enough to be a gift for anyone LOL !!

Go easy with them codeine's flower - play havock with your tummy, but I know how you feel.

RozMinis
16-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Fed up, managed to do a couple of rows, then me fumble decided it hated me and the hook. Soooo I bit the bullet and checked on eBay for a clover Soft Touch hook, got both for less than £8, free postage n'all, so that made me feel a tad better.

That drop dead gorgeous doctor said that I shouldn't have a problem with codeine, but to go easy with Ibuprofen. Neither have worked today, or the paracetamol I take with the codeine. Think I need to quite the knitting and crochet for a few days, must have over done it. :( Maybe I ought to say suds to it and get on with my cross stitching for a few days instead. Working on the theory that for every tree ornament I stitch, there will be at least one unwanted one (as in bought years ago) for me to donate to charity, so it isn't all bad news. :)

Roz

Spendsloads
19-10-2015, 07:10 AM
I only use the soft handled crochet hooks and the Clover Amour ones are my favourites, though I also have Tulip Etimo and Knit Pros. I don't particularly have any joint problems, but I was finding my hand getting sore when using traditional hooks and having something chunkier to hold on to makes it much more comfortable to crochet. I've seen on various Facebook groups that a lot of people use polymer clay to make their own handles, so I might give that a go at some point.

Shame about Texere Yarns by the way. I knew that they closed their mill shop in Bradford earlier this year, not long after refurbishing it, which wasn't a great sign, but I had hoped that the range of speciality yarns they stock would give them a good niche market.

RozMinis
19-10-2015, 06:23 PM
I tried the polymer clay idea, but wasn't happy with it, especially as at the time I needed the clay for other 'stuff'. I had a bit of a dither about which hooks to invest in, but as I knew I was ok with the Clover Soft Touch I thought I would stick with what I know. I am also impressed in that they do sizes that are not normally available here in the UK 0.90mm for instance. I seem to remember a couple of the others are no longer available either, 3.25 is one that I couldn't find in any of the shops.

Clover do eight different sizes in the steel hooks, and all the something 00, .25, .50, and .75 up to 4.00mm, + 4.50 and 5.00, not sure what happens after that as I don't think I want to know. This is the first time I have ever gone for anything thicker than 4.00, and haven't used that one since I bought it as a Clover Soft Touch.

I have a few sizes of Knit Pro, but they are those that I can attach a cable to to turn them into Tunisian hooks. Haven't done any Tunisian crochet for years, as in 20+.

Roz

Jacksmissis
19-10-2015, 07:24 PM
I bought a set of soft touch off ebay, they were about £7 and they seem ok but for quality work (which I dont do LOL !!) like yourselves I would invest in some good makes. The lady who ran our crocheting course (clever woman) made polymer handles on hers and they were ever so pretty. She crocheted fabulous shopping bags out of cut up carriers too. We weren't allowed to use the K word (knitting) either, only crochet speak allowed !

RozMinis
20-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Seven squid? My that was expensive, mine were less than £8 for both of them. Must admit I have been well pleased with all the Soft Touch ones from Clover, I have all the steel ones, plus the first 11 sizes in aluminium.

Knit, crochet, cross stitch, patchwork, all the same to me n Christine chuck, we do the lot. :) I do find counted stitching, as in cross stitch, Hardanger, etc to be the easiest of all of them, though if I use proper cotton instead of polyester thread for patchwork of the English Paper Piecing (EPP) type, then I find that isn't too much of a problem.

Roz

Jacksmissis
20-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Think there's 7 in the set Roz ya puddin not one!!