PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Curio

PinkPig
30-10-2015, 06:30 AM
Some shows on Hochanda today featuring the Curio.Times are 11, 3 and 6.

Jacksmissis
30-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Thanks PP, I'll try and fit one in LOL !! Should be very interesting (even though I dont need one).

PinkPig
30-10-2015, 07:41 AM
I think there will be demos showing the things it can do which the cameo/ portrait can't. Fingers crossed!

PinkPig
30-10-2015, 01:47 PM
I caught out by Hochanda changing the names of the shows. I set to record before they put the name of Silhouette in - it was just something like ' Craft Hour' .When I went to play the first show after getting back from shopping it hadn't recorded. I checked the recorder and the other two shows had disappeared. I am hoping that the repeat at 4am tomorrow morning will be the show I missed.

Jacksmissis
30-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Oh no, I havent checked mine yet - I set the record for the 11am show but when I came in from town it was well into the 3pm one and a lovely young woman was doing the dem, she seemed VERY informative and she did say she is at NEC next week too - my tummy flipped at first, she's so like my daughter in Oz! Hope you've picked it up to record later PP

RozMinis
30-10-2015, 07:44 PM
I caught out by Hochanda changing the names of the shows. I set to record before they put the name of Silhouette in - it was just something like ' Craft Hour' .When I went to play the first show after getting back from shopping it hadn't recorded. I checked the recorder and the other two shows had disappeared. I am hoping that the repeat at 4am tomorrow morning will be the show I missed.

There are a lot of complaints on their Facebook page about them faffing about with the titles of the shows. I've been caught out a couple of times when C & C have done the same thing. :(

There are also squillions of complaints on their forum about the cost of postage. Barbara Gray has weighed in, getting quite bolshie too.

Don't really want the machine myself, I have a hardly used thingummybob, can't remember what they call the blessed thing. CraftRobo, that's the bunny I was trying to think of. :) The only machine I really want, is a laser colour printer. Sadly I haven't got room for one. :(

Roz

Dax
30-10-2015, 10:00 PM

PP our Sky had it as Silhouette in the title last night when I set it to record and I got all three shows.

Hochanda's high p&p made me buy elsewhere. Craft's U Love have a free p&p weekend so I bought a few extras for my Curio. They had the stock yesterday and put them on their web page late this afternoon.

Jacksmissis
31-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Have you bought one then Dax? I know you said you may, I think they were going to do the bigger platform thingy as an add-on weren't they - the girl yesterday did mention that there was a bigger one.

Very underneath the way Hochy has increased the P&P (IMO) it should have been stated at the begginning that the £2.95 plus £1 per every extra item was only introductory, reckon they will have lost alot of customers with that - its even worse than some of the Q prices! Crafts-u-love are lovely peeps, I've met 'em a few times at shows and they're always nice.

PinkPig
31-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Tarnation! The 4am repeat was not the first show ! I have two of the 3 o'clock and one of the 6 o'clock.

Jacksmissis
31-10-2015, 06:36 PM
oohhh nooooooooooooo! I watched the 11am this afternoon but good that it was it didnt make me want one PP, I think I would though if I was in the market for a machine - if that makes sense. Called the las Lisa, like I said before she was lovely. said she worked with Hayley with Silhouettes. Sorry I deleted my recording, but mind you I wouldn't have been able to send it (wasn't thinking LOL)

PurplePenny
03-11-2015, 09:56 PM
I missed all teh shows as my Mum was taken to hospital. I've been waiting for the Curio to be on :( Also. I've been hoping that a company might be on doing Metal Clay some time, and they were... on the same day so I missed those as well. Set the recorder to get a couple of night time repeats but they didn't record :(

EssexAnne
03-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I hope all is ok with your Mum PP?
X EA

Dax
04-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Have you bought one then Dax? I know you said you may, I think they were going to do the bigger platform thingy as an add-on weren't they - the girl yesterday did mention that there was a bigger one.

Very underneath the way Hochy has increased the P&P (IMO) it should have been stated at the begginning that the £2.95 plus £1 per every extra item was only introductory, reckon they will have lost alot of customers with that - its even worse than some of the Q prices! Crafts-u-love are lovely peeps, I've met 'em a few times at shows and they're always nice.

Yes JM bought my Curio back in August, just before we went away from Crafts U Love as they had a 10% off weekend. Not done much at all with it yet. Getting the cut/emboss settings I find hard. Took me a couple of tries to make Brian's bookmark as it emossed but did not cut. There is extra to learn with the software to use the Curio as there are two blade holders and somewhat of a learning curve for me at my age.

My accessories came this morning, the large base set, a deep cut blade and the stipple blade. Now I need to make time to learn how to use it all. I fancied having a go at the metal etching but CUL did not have the tool and no way was I going to pay Hochanda's p&p. Silhouette's price on the metal sheets I thought expensive. Hubby has bits of aluminium sheeting and am going to see if he has some thin enough to paint over then use when I get the etching tool.

Jacksmissis
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM
oh my word, if you find it hard to "get around" then I would have no chance LOL !! Hope you get sorted soon - perhaps you will be home more now the weather is turning? I've seen some A6 sz thin metal somewhere (for crafts) I'll try and remember where for you! I agree it very impressive but will be more than happy to stick with what I have - just re-learn it all after C******** when I get my craftroom sorted.

Lioness
04-11-2015, 07:09 PM
I missed all teh shows as my Mum was taken to hospital. I've been waiting for the Curio to be on :( Also. I've been hoping that a company might be on doing Metal Clay some time, and they were... on the same day so I missed those as well. Set the recorder to get a couple of night time repeats but they didn't record :(

PurplePenny, the metal clay show will be shown at 9pm tonight and again/another one at 6am on Friday morning according to my epg.

PurplePenny
04-11-2015, 10:01 PM
I hope all is ok with your Mum PP?

Thanks EA, she's getting better. A cold very quickly turned into a nasty chest infection and it is proving a stubborn one - she'd been on antibiotics for nearly a week and still coughing. She's 101 so I suppose it isn't surprising! Unfortunately, she was away from home when she got ill, so she was in the catchment area for a different hospital and we've had a one hour journey each way to visit her each day.

PurplePenny
04-11-2015, 10:04 PM
PurplePenny, the metal clay show will be shown at 9pm tonight and again/another one at 6am on Friday morning according to my epg.

Thanks Lioness. I spotted earlier on that it was on tonight, but it was quite late when we got back from the hospital and I completely forgot :(

Lioness
05-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks Lioness. I spotted earlier on that it was on tonight, but it was quite late when we got back from the hospital and I completely forgot :(

Set your recorder for Friday 6am ;)

Dax
05-11-2015, 03:29 PM
oh my word, if you find it hard to "get around" then I would have no chance LOL !! Hope you get sorted soon - perhaps you will be home more now the weather is turning? I've seen some A6 sz thin metal somewhere (for crafts) I'll try and remember where for you! I agree it very impressive but will be more than happy to stick with what I have - just re-learn it all after C******** when I get my craftroom sorted.

JM yes you would. I am not quick at learning at all. I had a Craft Robo for nearly 18 months before I could not do much with it. It was only when Quickcutz stopped selling their Silhouette (a re-badged Robo) and Graphtec US took over the brand name Silhouette and we could all use Studio I started to learn how to use the software. That was over 4 years ago and it was and still is a learning curve. There is lots I still can't do in Studio like layers and cutting by colour. Unless I have to use the new features I leave them alone.

Thanks EA, she's getting better. A cold very quickly turned into a nasty chest infection and it is proving a stubborn one - she'd been on antibiotics for nearly a week and still coughing. She's 101 so I suppose it isn't surprising! Unfortunately, she was away from home when she got ill, so she was in the catchment area for a different hospital and we've had a one hour journey each way to visit her each day.

Wow Purple Penny that's a great age. I hope she is not in hospital too long and recovers well. My mother-in-law is a few years younger at 95.

jube
06-11-2015, 08:49 AM
I love my silhouette but it has been a slow journey. My biggest problem has been figuring out what depth and pressure to cut on. What I could do with is a book, as by the time I come to actually cut I have forgotten what was on the screen I was watching.

Lioness
06-11-2015, 08:57 AM

Next Wednesday there is a one day special with Metal Clay, so they should be on at 8pm ( plus repeats through the night) then about 4 shows the next day - probably worth checking times closer to the day. :)

PurplePenny
07-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Next Wednesday there is a one day special with Metal Clay, so they should be on at 8pm ( plus repeats through the night) then about 4 shows the next day - probably worth checking times closer to the day. :)

I managed to see soem of the 6am show and was happy to see that it is the Metal Clay people that I buy a lot of my Efco stuff from. They occasionally have special deals on Art Clay. I'd love to give it a go.... but should I really take up a new craft when I don't get time to do all those I've already bought?

PurplePenny
07-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Wow Purple Penny that's a great age. I hope she is not in hospital too long and recovers well. My mother-in-law is a few years younger at 95.

They discharged her after a week, though I didn't really think she was well enough. She was so ill that I told my brother (her carer) to call her doctor, who referred her back to hospital!

At least this time it was our local hospital, only 15 minutes away instead of an hour. The first doctor said that she shouldn't really have been discharged, but then another couple of doctors came and examined her and said that at her age they really wanted her to be at home. They gave my brother strict instructions to keep her upstairs so she doesn't tire herself out going up and down stairs, and they have put her on a much stronger antibiotic.

Dax
08-11-2015, 03:08 PM
They discharged her after a week, though I didn't really think she was well enough. She was so ill that I told my brother (her carer) to call her doctor, who referred her back to hospital!

At least this time it was our local hospital, only 15 minutes away instead of an hour. The first doctor said that she shouldn't really have been discharged, but then another couple of doctors came and examined her and said that at her age they really wanted her to be at home. They gave my brother strict instructions to keep her upstairs so she doesn't tire herself out going up and down stairs, and they have put her on a much stronger antibiotic.

Hope the stronger anitbiotics do the trick then PurplePenny and she does as she is told. Must be worrying for you. ((((hugs))))

PinkPig
08-11-2015, 07:12 PM
By good luck managed to catch the Curio show I missed the other week as it was repeated at 3 today. I have all 3 now and am making sure that they don't get mysteriously deleted.

PurplePenny
09-11-2015, 03:41 PM
I finally caught one of the Curio shows on repeat and I'm very tempted. Kev said to go ahead and buy it.... then added "though I don't know where you'll put it...." He's right :(

PinkPig
09-11-2015, 06:13 PM
It can sit on top of another machine as it's very light!