PDA

View Full Version : Fingerless crafting

Deefersmum
04-11-2015, 08:42 AM
I flicked Hochanda on this morning and there was the V cutter thingy whatsit (Craft?????????????????????).

Go to any car boot or secondhand shop and you can buy them by the dozen. Ours (secondhand) went in the dustbin.

Add on: The only reason I have started this thread as 'Fingerless' is because these cutters give me the shivers as far as the blades are concerned - wimp? Yes!

Lioness
04-11-2015, 09:17 AM
I had one and threw it away as I found it scary. So why am I watching the programme and thinking about buying something similar?

I could actually do with a decent slicer and dicer with adjustable settings as I do prep salad stuff/veggies etc for occasional functions
I did buy a dicer from QVC several years ago but the dicing blades bent - probably on some carrots I was trying to chop at the time.

Little Jan
04-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Yes I had one yeas ago took half my knuckles off
And again unless shreading veg fruit and fingers is a hobby for some
It is certainlly not craft unless you like real blood red colouring
I suppose Ideal world could not shift them so dumped them on hocblunder

Deefersmum
04-11-2015, 10:05 AM
I had one and threw it away as I found it scary. So why am I watching the programme and thinking about buying something similar?

Because you like living dangerously?

Just the thought makes me break out in a sweat - me and blades don't mix! When I was making Spendsloads card a couple of weeks ago I went to put the top back on my scalpel, missed completely and sliced open the palm of my hand (I said "ouch that hurt" - not). I still have no feeling in the top of one of my fingers where I attacked myself with a bread knife.

Little Jan
04-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Just the thought makes me break out in a sweat - me and blades don't mix! When I was making Spendsloads card a couple of weeks ago I went to put the top back on my scalpel, missed completely and sliced open the palm of my hand (I said "ouch that hurt" - not). I still have no feeling in the top of one of my fingers where I attacked myself with a bread knife.
Oh my I better keep out of your way then

Deefersmum
04-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Oh my I better keep out of your way then

Edward Scissorhands has got nothing on me!

RozMinis
04-11-2015, 06:41 PM
I had one that was with a grater thingie bought from Betterware or somat of that ilk. Used it once, but it appeared to like my fingers rather than what I was s'posed to be slicing, chucked it out, though I did keep the plastic base as it was useful, still got it too as my cake decorating stuff is kept in it.

I had one of those food processor thingies as well, but was terrified of the thing. I mean I am not stupid, I know not to touch the blade, or put my hand inside the machine, but I was still frightened of the thing. Gave that away to Kate, she took it to a car boot and made a bit of money from it. I have a liquidiser, hardly used, and a hand mixer, which is more than enough for me. Not that the mixer gets used very often as I no longer do any baking.

Roz

Jacksmissis
05-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Jeez girls, just think of all the must have gadgets we've sent to car-boots and charity shops! They seem to be such good ideas at the time but even if you keep your fingers intact, it takes more time in general to wash the blessed things up. I have a Bamix, the (expensive) whole shebang which I hardly use and I often wonder if I should let it go. I had a Kenwood many years ago and sold it (I have rued the day ever since) to buy a food processor - the type as described by Roz, that give me the heeby jeebies too so soon baled it out!!

Lioness
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Living dangerously - no. Just plain daft!

TBH I dont even know why I considered giving this a second look. I wasnt comfortable watching Lee waving his hands around close to the blades as he was describing what was included.
Thanks ladies for saving me some money and my fingers :)

Dax
05-11-2015, 03:36 PM
I still have an orange V slicer hidden somewhere in a cupboard. Hubby bought it in the 80's I think. We watched it demoed in Howells in Cardiff, a posh department store. When I did use it never had a problem as I always stuck the veg on the 'cup/guard'. Fingers never got close.

RozMinis
05-11-2015, 07:05 PM
I was watching the cake making thingie on TCC the other day, Somat or other Loulou I think. Anyroadup I couldn't help feeling that it was a lot of faffing about using the mixer. I wash the beaters at the same time as I wash my one and only mixing bowl, can't be bothered with that huge thing, especially as the stuff on the beater seemed to run all over the place when she took the bowl away. I bash my beaters against the side of the bowl to get most of the stuff off, then scrape each one down. I won't say what I do with the beaters then, but it wouldn't have got me any brownie points at school. ;)

Roz