PDA

View Full Version : lPricking/stitching ??

Jacksmissis
03-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Roz, or anyone !! I picked up on this Company yesterday (Wednesday) 'twas a nice man showing some cd's for pricking/stitching, so I've done a bit of investigating and found it was called "Add some Sparkle". They're based in Devon and I've had a look at their site and there's some lovely things. This link is for the cd's themselves but you can easily click onto the home page etc. http://www.addsomesparkle.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=7

Deefersmum
03-12-2015, 12:39 PM
I've had more than enough of pricking thanks. My friend's cat has been diagnosed with diabetes and the two of us have been doing his jabs for the last few days. I don't know who felt sicker, me, her or the cat.

Jacksmissis
03-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Aww bless will it be long term Deefy or just till its under control and then tablets? Seems to be alot of dogs and cats with Diabetes these days. In humans, Doctors usually say its because we are 5st overweight and smoke...............wonder what the vets say about our pets? I shall ask mine when Milly goes for her booster next week just to see!

Deefersmum
03-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Aww bless will it be long term Deefy or just till its under control and then tablets? Seems to be alot of dogs and cats with Diabetes these days. In humans, Doctors usually say its because we are 5st overweight and smoke...............wonder what the vets say about our pets? I shall ask mine when Milly goes for her booster next week just to see!

They don't know yet - they are monitoring him to see what happens now he's on the insulin. She has bought one of the pens which arrived yesterday so let's hope that makes it easier. She has had a terrible year this year (her dog was killed by another dog just before Christmas and her dad recently passed) and she loves her cats so I hope everything works out ok.

I have been reading up on diabetes on the internet and about 1 in 200 cats suffer with it. Apparently you need to feed them low carbs, low fat, cut out dried food and if they are overweight, slim them down. Some cats come out of it and just need monitoring, but not all. He seems really bad at the moment - eating like a horse and drinking loads.

Jacksmissis
03-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Oh dear, hope it soon stabilizes for him and your friend will be able to relax abit. Horrible when we have 'runs' of bad luck, that light at the end of the tunnel seems miles away.

RozMinis
03-12-2015, 06:32 PM
The poor liddle puddy. I hope it isn't something Oscar ever suffers from as apart from a teeny bity of fresh beef, it has to be fresh not frozen, he will only eat dried food. Even then he is a tad fussy about that, he hates tinned food, though Inky likes it. He also hates cooked chicken, which Inky loves.

Saw the show JM, the lighting could have been better, and stitching, even without the pricking, is a sitting down craft, not a standing up one. The prices for downloading the patterns are slightly dearer than Stitching Cards at five for £5, or Form-a-lines at £2.50 for three. Mind you with all the designs I have, three folders of mixed designs, and one Christmas, I ought to have enough to last me a lifetime. Must get around to ordering the sympathy ones from Stitching Cards as theya re gorgeous.

Roz

pyjama princess
03-12-2015, 07:41 PM
A friend of mine does prick and stitch cards and she buys from stitching cards too Roz. I'm going to have a go at it after Christmas as hers always look lovely.

Jilly
03-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Roz, or anyone !! I picked up on this Company yesterday (Wednesday) 'twas a nice man showing some cd's for pricking/stitching, so I've done a bit of investigating and found it was called "Add some Sparkle". They're based in Devon and I've had a look at their site and there's some lovely things. This link is for the cd's themselves but you can easily click onto the home page etc. http://www.addsomesparkle.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=7

Try your local library - there is a particular author Erica Fortgens - she does 'Basics of Embroidery on Paper' and there are loads of patterns in it to copy and its free. Also authors Cynthia Rapson and Joke De Vette do similar books.Hope that might help someone.

Jilly
03-12-2015, 09:32 PM

Try your local library - there is a particular author Erica Fortgens - she does 'Basics of Embroidery on Paper' and there are loads of patterns in it to copy and its free. Also authors Cynthia Rapson and Joke De Vette do similar books.Hope that might help someone.

PurplePenny
03-12-2015, 09:50 PM
I've had more than enough of pricking thanks. My friend's cat has been diagnosed with diabetes and the two of us have been doing his jabs for the last few days. I don't know who felt sicker, me, her or the cat.

My sympathies! We have a diabetic cat and I tried to give her injections at first, but I'm needle phobic and though I could do it OK, I was reliving it for a hour afterwards and it was as though I was sticking the needle into my own neck! Now Kev does it and he is so good at it that Maisy doesn't even notice. My top tip is to give him his favourite food, lift up a tent of skin and stick the needle in while he is bent over eating the food.

Send me a PM if you'd like to talk about it. Don't bother with the Facebook groups - they are all aimed at Tight Regulation which means testing the cat's blood glucose many times a day.

PurplePenny
03-12-2015, 09:58 PM
I have been reading up on diabetes on the internet and about 1 in 200 cats suffer with it. Apparently you need to feed them low carbs, low fat, cut out dried food and if they are overweight, slim them down. Some cats come out of it and just need monitoring, but not all. He seems really bad at the moment - eating like a horse and drinking loads.

That diet is actually what all cats should be on. Most commercial cat food is too high in carbs (IIRC from the talk I gave on cat nutrition, the average mouse only has 4% carbs). You can get an app for your phone called Carb Calculator, then you can stand in the supermarket typing in the figures of protein, fat, ash, fibre from the packaging and it will calculate how much is carb. You'll be shocked!

Oh, and don't let the vet talk your friend into buying expensive Diabetic formula food - I did the carb calculation on it and it was (much) higher in carbs than the plain old Classic cat food I usually give them!!

Waterlily
04-12-2015, 11:06 AM

I get very upset when people say that and don't qualify it ie type 2 diabetes. I've been diabetic since the age of 11 and I was one of the skinniest in the class, my dad used to call me matchstick legs lol. I hear it a lot especially on TV. Not having a go at you by the way I know you are only quoting what's said and I've heard it many times myself. lol

I would hate to have to give someone else injections be it human or animal.

Waterlily
04-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I love doing the stitch cards, I can't think of the name of the ones I usually buy at the moment, I've also got a few books.

Poor little cat, I hope he and your friend can cope OK.

Deefersmum
04-12-2015, 11:20 AM
I get very upset when people say that and don't qualify it ie type 2 diabetes. I've been diabetic since the age of 11 and I was one of the skinniest in the class, my dad used to call me matchstick legs lol. I hear it a lot especially on TV. Not having a go at you by the way I know you are only quoting what's said and I've heard it many times myself. lol

I would hate to have to give someone else injections be it human or animal.

I know what you mean about the skinny bit. A friend of mine was a diabetic from the age of about 12 and he looked like a racing greyhound!

I don't know what it is about needles but I find the whole thing daunting. I recently found out that miniature poodles are at high risk of diabetes and am now worried that Deefy might land up with it - God only knows what I would do then, but perhaps if you have to you get on with it.............

Jacksmissis
04-12-2015, 04:52 PM
No offence taken Pam, thats what's ramned down our throats all the time, for any illness if we don't fit the latest medical reccommended thoughts. Our neighbours daughter is only 12 and she is type one from being a toddler, she does so well bless her - knows exactly what she can and can't have when she's out.

We've had type 2 now for twenty yrs with Jack, complete with insulin 4x daily. He went on a course once (not the DAFNE) and one week, were invited to take their partners on a group shopping trip so we could be pointed in the right direction for what to and not to purchase. Sorry, but it was the biggest load of tripe. Two of the ladies (also type 2) were newly diagnosed and so very thin and they listened avidly to every word the lady running the course was telling them, she (the lady running the course) was very nice but much of the stuff wasn't right but was obviously what the current at the time thoughts were.

Deefy, I understand exactly what you mean but we'd all do whatever we have to when they're poorly - even when it makes us 'gip', same as we would for our loved ones. Wonder why some breeds of dogs or cats seem susceptible to a particular illness? Strange!

Deefersmum
04-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Deefy, I understand exactly what you mean but we'd all do whatever we have to when they're poorly - even when it makes us 'gip', same as we would for our loved ones. Wonder why some breeds of dogs or cats seem susceptible to a particular illness? Strange!

I have been looking at different breeds because we are still thinking about getting another dog, but after losing two dogs this year I'm trying to do some background checks on problems within different breeds. I am not saying I don't want certain dogs because of their problems, it is just the fact that we are getting on a bit and I don't want to leave behind a dog with problems that would be hard to rehome. I think it hit home when Sully lost her sight.

RozMinis
04-12-2015, 07:32 PM
I live in hope that my present two are the usual tough as old boots moggies. There is a difference between them and the previous thirteen though. The others were all indoor/outdoor cats, they didn't even have their injections, nor were they insured. These two have the lot, and have been bugged as well, though why as they don't go out I am not sure. They also cost a lot of money, well twenty five squid each is a lot compared to free from the farm!

Not that all of the previous thirteen were healthy little beings, we lost several up to the age of a year old, another two at three, and a third vanished at 10. The rest lived to be 12, 13 and 15 and a half. Oz and Inks are three and a half, so I hope because they are indoor only they will last a good few years yet. Can't change what they eat though, especially Oscar, he would starve himself to death rather than eat anything he doesn't like, which is most stuff offered him.

Along with the downloaded goodies from Form-a-lines and Stitching Cards, I have one book, though can't remember what it is called. I've downloaded freebies from other websites as well. Watched the show again today, put the bliddy lights on please, could hardly see what was going on, and it ain't my telly as I don't have a problem with any other channel, in fact TCC and C & C are often a bit too bright. Wasn't keen on all the 'bling' that the chap was puttin on the cards. The baby rattle for instance would have been better with stitched stars instead of pearls or whatever it was.

Going back to the lighting. What on earth had those candles and Chrissy tree lights to do with crafting, hobbies or art? Now I know Christmas is practically a hobby of mine, but not when it comes to buying lights. Then when Matt spread the 300 set across the floor, they turned out the lights completely, so all we could see was the candles flickering. If that was supposed to show how good the tree lights were, then it failed spectacularly.

Roz

Waterlily
05-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Form-a-lines are the ones I like Roz. Thanks for reminding me.

Waterlily
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM
No offence taken Pam, thats what's ramned down our throats all the time, for any illness if we don't fit the latest medical reccommended thoughts. Our neighbours daughter is only 12 and she is type one from being a toddler, she does so well bless her - knows exactly what she can and can't have when she's out.

We've had type 2 now for twenty yrs with Jack, complete with insulin 4x daily. He went on a course once (not the DAFNE) and one week, were invited to take their partners on a group shopping trip so we could be pointed in the right direction for what to and not to purchase. Sorry, but it was the biggest load of tripe. Two of the ladies (also type 2) were newly diagnosed and so very thin and they listened avidly to every word the lady running the course was telling them, she (the lady running the course) was very nice but much of the stuff wasn't right but was obviously what the current at the time thoughts were.

Hi JM

I hope you don't mind me asking but does your Jack ever have hypos? I was told once by my diabetic nurse that type 2 diabetics don't have them even if they are on insulin injections.

I'm having real trole ping today, wonder if it's because of the wind here!! That should say trouble typing.

RozMinis
05-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Hi JM
I'm having real trole ping today, wonder if it's because of the wind here!! That should say trouble typing.

Hahaha, love it. :eek55: Made my day there chuck. :playful:

Roz

RozMinis
05-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Form-a-lines are the ones I like Roz. Thanks for reminding me.

Stitching Cards is the same company, or at least the same peeps run it, they just have different designs. The newest ones are In Sympathy, which includes one with paw prints. They also include the pricking and stitching for Happy birthday to use with the same designs.

Their original company which sold the designs in booklet form have closed down, but thankfully there doesn't appear to be any signs of their online businesses going the same way. I would hate that to happen as I do so love pricking and stitching. I made up the bi-plane earlier this year. I had a 'bit of a to do' with it. It was obviously my fault for not following the destructions properly. I did get it in the end, but I doubt Biggles would have been keen to fly the thing. Wonder if they would like to design a Fokker tri-plane sometime! :surprise:

Roz

Jacksmissis
05-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Hi JM

I hope you don't mind me asking but does your Jack ever have hypos? I was told once by my diabetic nurse that type 2 diabetics don't have them even if they are on insulin injections.

Course I don't mind and yes he does! Not often and he's lucky in that he gets 'warnings' and if its during the night for instance they wake him up. It all started in '96 and at the beginning he was so careful - every label was read and not a grain of sugar passed his lips but as time has gone on he's quite careless. We have so many "heated discussions" and I've tried soooooooooo hard, to understand and help but it doesnt work. When he goes for his check-ups he tells them what they want to hear and they cajole him by asking him to try this/that and he says 'oh yes', he will. Comes home tells me whats gone on then, in the following few days all hell breaks loose when I remind him of whatever it was they told him to do.

Waterlily
05-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Roz, I've got the old booklets, I photocopy them to use again, perhaps I shouldn't say that but I don't sell them.

Sorry to hear that JM, I asked because my diabetic nurse told me that type 2 didn't have hypos!!!!!!!! I actually asked 'even if they are on injections' and she still said they didn't. Must admit I couldn't see how it was true lol. I'm having quite a hard time at the moment because I can't feel the hypos coming on, yet my hubby and son can look at me and know lol (I think it's that my eyes dilate). I've had some horrible ones at night, I woke up the other morning and could taste sugar all round my mouth and all round my face too, I don't remember anything about it, that's happened several times lately even though my blood sugars are a bit higher than normal when I go to bed. The nurse (a different one) told me to vary the injection sites which I've always done anyway so that didn't help lol. Apparently when the sites are used a lot the insulin sometimes stores itself in pockets and instead of releasing gradually it releases lots at once so that is why I have these bad hypos. I cannot persuade myself to inject in my arms, I'm frightened in case I need two hands. That sound daft but I know what I mean.

I think it's very hard to stay on track all the time, my treat is when I start a hypo I have chocolate if I'm at home rather than the glucose sachets I get on prescription (that tastes revolting lol).

Anyway, I hope Jack is OK and doesn't wander off his diet too much.

Little Jan
06-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Hi JM

My bil has been on insulin since he was 11 he has always been slim still is at 52
But he is very active he is naughty he eats anything just adjusts his insulin doctors have told him this does not help
He does have hypos if he waits too long for food after an injection or has over done things
Not sure if he is type one or two
But he was told if he keeps weight off he will stay healthy

Have you taken something for the wind lol

Waterlily
06-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Hi Jan

I would imagine he's type 1 getting it so young.

I think it's the site as the others I use seem to be OK.

It's not quite as windy today but still quite bad, poor people in Scotland and up north they seem to have had it bad.

Little Jan
06-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Not so windy today
Weather is still mild for the time of year
I feel for those in Cumbria some are still
Stuffing from the results of the 2009 floods
Hoping every one stays safe
Especially a few forum members who come from there
Who no longer post but maybe reading the forum
You are in my thoughts

RozMinis
06-12-2015, 06:59 PM
I posted on the Lets Chat section about Carlisle. I just couldn't believe that the place is one giant river. I mean I know there are three of them, but from the pictures I have seen' it is more like 33, all converging on each other. I think the Catholic Church on Warwick Road may have escaped the floods, though I wouldn't like to place my shilling on it, but Warwick Lodge where we stay is definitely under water. I just hope everybody is safe. My birthplace, Corbridge, is also flooded, but it looks as though Northumberland isn't anywhere near as bad as Cumbria.

Roz