PDA

View Full Version : Rowandean

RozMinis
27-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Love the embroidery kits, shame they were 'giving' the same size embroidery hoop with each kit. I have been using those things since the early 1980's, have them in several different sizes, so really do not want anymore. In fact I have recently ordered three wooden ones to try out Phillipa (Crewel Work Co) idea of using cling film on the hoop. I have a seat frame, but can't use my sping frames with it. I don't want to cough up nearly £50 for the set C & C sell, especially as I wouldn't be able to use the very large 24" hoop I have. Not that I have anything that large to use it with at the moment, but there was a time when I did use it quite a lot. Wish I had known about the cling film idea in those days.

I have a Rowandean kit lurking somewhere in a drawer, along with one on stumpwork. Bought both on my first visit to the NEC. Haven't had the chance to try either out yet though as 'stuff' will insist on getting in the way. :)

Roz

Jacksmissis
28-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Sorry Roz, its just too early for me, but, how can you use cling film on a hoop and embroider too? or embroider a seat frame as well?

RozMinis
28-01-2016, 07:24 PM
You need to watch the crewel embroidery shows with Phillipa. She was on last Saturday afternoon, usually is, invariably during the horse racing, so I have to record it.

This is the frame http://www.amazon.co.uk/Embroidery-Seat-Frame-15cm-hoops/dp/B003SCQ1PA one covers the embroidery in cling film, then cuts slits through the film to work the embroidery. S'posed to stop the hoop from marking the fabric, or somat of that ilk. Apparently it is better than trying to bind the hoops with cotton. I have never tried it myself as I use the plastic/metal spring hoops, but when these new ones arrive I will give it a try.

I am having problems with my left thumb these days, probably something to do with having to use it to massage my right, so it too is now suffering, probably from repetitive strain, or somat of that ilk. Anyway I thought using a seat frame thingie might help relieve it a bit. It also means I can stitch with both hands, and can try out the double pointed gold plated needle I received from Jane Greenoff. :)

Roz