PDA

View Full Version : An oldie from days gone by!

Craftyktee
06-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Not been on in ages! Had to wrack my brain to remember my log in details!
A lot has happened I see. Dawn Bibby with C & C, (no longer now), less craft on QVC :sorrow Leoni jumped ship, perhaps jumped again? A new Craft Channel.
So why? Well; being a gran is hard work! Ha ha!!! Plus a few pains n aches to spoil my enjoyment of craft work :fatigue::sorrow:
But I have been keeping my hand in. Fewer cards made, but more (very) amateur knitting/crochet!
I still love craft; @ present I'm sewing.
I have a question: perhaps someone can point me in the direction of the baby type Velcro?
My granddaughters want me to make dresses for their Barbie doll. I also have sewing patterns for their bigger dolls. Also enough fabric to stock John Lewis :rapture:
Any help & tips on dolls clothes would be great!
Take care...

pyjama princess
06-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Not been on in ages! Had to wrack my brain to remember my log in details!
A lot has happened I see. Dawn Bibby with C & C, (no longer now), less craft on QVC :sorrow Leoni jumped ship, perhaps jumped again? A new Craft Channel.
So why? Well; being a gran is hard work! Ha ha!!! Plus a few pains n aches to spoil my enjoyment of craft work :fatigue::sorrow:
But I have been keeping my hand in. Fewer cards made, but more (very) amateur knitting/crochet!
I still love craft; @ present I'm sewing.
I have a question: perhaps someone can point me in the direction of the baby type Velcro?
My granddaughters want me to make dresses for their Barbie doll. I also have sewing patterns for their bigger dolls. Also enough fabric to stock John Lewis :rapture:
Any help & tips on dolls clothes would be great!
Take care...

Great to have an 'oldie' returning to our lovely forum. Can't answer the question regarding tiny sized Velcro but I'm sure one of our sewist will know the answer. The 'less craft on QVC' should be NO craft on QVC now as Anna griffin has also jumped ship to one of the new craft channels (The Craft Channel I think?). Leonie has certainly jumped ship from QVC to C&C and soon to be on Hochanda. Sorry to hear about the aches and pains, unfortunately it comes with getting older :sour:.

Jacksmissis
06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Hi there & welcome back! I've been onto fleabay for you but cant find anying suitable. Think the answer would be to pop into a sewing shop and explain what you need I'm sure they'll have an answer for you. I did find some black 1/4" but when I read it properly, it was for securing cables so would have a blank bit in the middle (no good LOL !)

Lioness
06-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Welcome back!
Not sure what you meant by baby type Velcro, but if you are after small bits, then I would just cut it down to the size you want.

Little Jan
06-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Welcome back
I know how busy grand children can be as I now have a granddaughter
And as PJP said aches and pains seem to get us all in the end and have the nerve to interrupt ore pleasures
Hopefully things are not too bad for you

My daughter uses Velcro in school but the self adhesive type for putting up displays
Also got the sew in type for dress up cloths
She buys what ever size is cheapest and cuts on to width
Hope this helps

RozMinis
06-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Hiya flower

I've just had a look see on Amazon. Not having heard of such a thing, I have to satisfy my curiosity don't you know! ;) Turns out there is something called Soft Velcro http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=velcro+soft&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3171162126&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_53lcr3beii_e OMG, what a long link that is. Anywhooo if for some reason it doesn't work, then go to Amazon and type in soft velcro, and it will come up with the goodies. Not being a Prime member anymore, I decided I wasn't going to pay postage, so I have ordered some from BIC International via Amazon as I know I will find a use for it. :) £2.89 or so for 30" of the stuff. :)

Cheers

Roz

Jacksmissis
06-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Worked for me Roz!

RozMinis
08-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Good show, it looks interesting stuff. I want to see if I can make a cover for my poor lickle fumble using fabric and wadding (or should that be batting?) as it is really suffering from the cold. I've made knitted ones, but they keep getting tangled up in my stitching. I leave the tip free of course, but it is the bit in the middle that suffers mostly. Stoopid really as that bit didn't get smashed, though it would appear one bone has slid under the other, which is why I can't bend the thing.

It will probably be another month before it arrives, BIC are no where near as speedy as Supermart. I've had goodies from Supermart arrive before stuff from BIC has been posted. Funny thing is when I bought from BIC via eBay they were mega quick. No idea why they are soooo sloooow when they sell via Amazon. No matter, at least we can get stuff cheaper from them and Supermart than buying directly from suppliers here in the UK, always assuming we can find a supplier that is. I have learned the art of patience, especially as the world seems to be turning at a more rapid rate than it did when I was a child. Can't believe we are already into the second week on February. What the flip happened to January?

Roz

Jacksmissis
09-02-2016, 08:13 AM
"What the flip happened to January?"

I think we all blinked twice and missed it Roz! would a neoprene sleeve help do you think (as in just for your thumb, not a full sleeve) I was thinking it will give you the support and warmth but I dont know how you'd make it but your a genius!

RozMinis
09-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Just had a look see on Amazon and eBay, found what I think might work on eBay. For £4.48 it is worth trying anyway. I nearly got sidetracked by a neoprene sleeve for my Kindle, well both of them actually, although the ereader has a crochet case as I got fed up of the boring blue one I had bought for it. Been thinking about making one for my Kindle fire, but the ones on eBay have piccies on them, and one is for a ginger fluffit. Less than a tenner, so I think I might have to invest in the not too distant future. :)

Roz

Craftyktee
11-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for your help! I will order the Hook & Loop fastening from Amazon. States Baby & Child Friendly, Super Soft. That will do me :glee:
To those that were a bit confused; I was looking for the type of soft Velcro that is used on children's clothing.
Yes the old aches n pains more frequent now. determined not to let them beat me :courage:
Watching C & C - Storage Solutions - I think a bit pricey. I don't need any storage @ present, but if I did need some I would shop around first...

Craftyktee
11-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for your help! I will order the Hook & Loop fastening from Amazon. States Baby & Child Friendly, Super Soft. That will do me :glee:
To those that were a bit confused; I was looking for the type of soft Velcro that is used on children's clothing.
Yes the old aches n pains more frequent now. determined not to let them beat me :courage:
Watching C & C - Storage Solutions - I think a bit pricey. I don't need any storage @ present, but if I did need some I would shop around first...

Craftyktee
11-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Ooops! Posted twice in Error! :bigg2rin: