PDA

View Full Version : Watercolouring

Lioness
19-02-2016, 08:15 AM
I am enjoying the water colouring with Matthew Palmer - has anyone tried his using his techniques/dvds?

RozMinis
19-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Not tried his techniques, much prefer Terry Harrison, Frank Clark and Keith Fenwick. However, Matthew is at least an artist who knows what he is talking about, which is more than that Dawn Mcfiew, or some such name, did last week. Have to say though that if one is using a larger sheet of watercolour paper, then one needs a larger brush for the sky etc.

The book that sold out can be found a couple of pounds cheaper on Amazon, free postage too.

Haven't tried his DVD's either, but have a couple by Keith Fenwick. When Terry was on the Painting Channel 'himself' recorded all the shows with Terry, Geoff Kersey as well. I think he recorded a couple of Matthew's, but deleted them. Frank Clark is on Irish Television (Freesat) every so often, worth watching just for the views of Ireland, and his tall stories!!! ;)

Terry has loads of brushes on his website, plus his own paint mixes. I think most artists have their own styles of brushes, Frank for instance normally only uses three; the large goat-hair, the baby goat-hair, and the rigger. Personally I prefer the half rigger, as does 'himself.

Roz

Lioness
20-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Thanks Roz.
I decided to go for this set just before the end as I have a little one (who is not so little any more) who is doing Art as one of their exams. They seemed interested so maybe this will help them. I might give it a go too as I have never done watercolour landscapes before.
Checked out Matthews website and he also does an annual or monthly membership which gives you access to over 200 videos for the period of the membership (abt £38pa or £7? per month at the moment)

I managed to get a copy of the book from the Wordery for just under £9 inc P&P

As you say all artists have their own style and preferences to what equipment and tools they use and endorse (just like crafters) I have only used sable round brushes before for water colouring but that was decades ago in my teens and 20s - there is so much more available now and I am sure that the quality is much better.
I only have freeview so don't watch the painting channel - may have to spend a bit of time perusing through the internet as I don't know the other artists but will look them up.
Thanks again

RozMinis
20-02-2016, 07:46 PM
You can view some videos via the Painting & Drawing Channel on your computer http://www.thepaintinganddrawingchannel.co.uk/schedule.html

There are also some archived ones here: http://www.thepaintinganddrawingchannel.co.uk/tv-anytime.html

Do also check out YouTube, there are some fantastic video clips on there. Many are just tasters of what is on a video that can be bought from either the SAA or from the artists own website. Terry Harrison paint his trees is brilliant. One comment though is that the paints he mentions are his own blend, but never to worry, just use a dark and light green, maybe mixing another colour to give a different hue. I don't think that wasn't something Matthew mentioned on Hochanda, but it is something all artists do.

Most professionals tend to use a pallet that is limited to about ten colours, although they don't usually use more than six at a time. Many do not use either black or white, although several use a thing called gouache, which white and similar to watercolour paint, but has had gum arabic added to it to give it a matt opaque finish.

Roz