PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts please

Granny Penny
05-04-2016, 10:34 AM
I wanted to learn some techniques so I decided to make this http://www.crackerboxkits.com/ViewItem.aspx?ID=90 - If you click on the video I have made it up to the 1minute 20 seconds point and am quite pleased with it so far.

However, all though my daughter obviously likes it she "can't see people hanging it on their Christmas tree" i.e., - don't make me one mum! I make most of the family quilted or folded star Christmas decorations every Christmas and they are much requested (there's a whole board of them on my Pinterest site if you don't know what I mean) but this seems to be too ... I have no idea but definitely not what they want. I, on the other hand am enjoying making it and was going to do some designs of my own - rather less regal than this and perhaps more Victorian but now do not know where I can take this.

Do you think there is something I could do that would appeal to the younger more, perhaps, country, rustic, shabby chic generation. All comments gratefully received!

Glingle
05-04-2016, 11:22 AM
I think they're beautiful. I bought some plain baubles in the sales and was thinking about doing some beading to decorate them. Yes, some look quite dated, but that one is stunning. Love it and can't wait to see your finished version.

Glingle
05-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Forgot to add, I'm 42 if that makes any difference!

clumsycrafter
05-04-2016, 11:45 AM
I think it is beautiful - I would hang it on my tree!

Waterlily
05-04-2016, 11:51 AM
I love it as well but I am old.

Years ago I decorated some polystyrene eggs but I don't think they were quite as complicated.

Granny Penny
05-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. Glingle - my daughter is in her early 40s too but does like a very simplistic look. Clumsycrafter (I'm sure your not :sm2ile: ) I may just put this on a hanger on it's own for the time being and see if it inspires. I am sure there is a way forward with this kind of beading. It really isn't very difficult; fiddly and lots of measuring at the beginning though and getting hold of the silk covered polystyrene shapes is very difficult although I have found a source now. Waterlily, I wonder if eggs are a better way forward?

What started me down this route was seeing beautiful hat pins (and not many people wanting hat pins :sm2ile: ) used in cards and altered arts.

Thank you all for your thoughts - more cogitating to be done I feel :sm2ile:

PurplePenny
05-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Not sure that it's an age thing - I'm 62 and it's bit OTT for my tastes. I wondered whether it was just the colours, so I had a look at some of the other styles. Many were even less to my taste!

clumsycrafter
05-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. Glingle - my daughter is in her early 40s too but does like a very simplistic look. Clumsycrafter (I'm sure your not :sm2ile: ) :sm2ile:
Oh I am. Just crafting yesterday - I have a bruised bum, pulled muscles in my abdomen and arm - why? Cos I fell off my bliddy chair!! Stop laughing - now!

Granny Penny
05-04-2016, 04:12 PM
It was as if you could see me reading that Clumsycrafter :-)

I don't think it is and age thing either PurplePenny. They would not normally be my "thing" although I liked this one and I wanted to learn the techniques. More than anything I am left feeling "what would I do with it". I do think Christmas is the one time you can be OTT though. You have sparked a germ of an idea - which is what I really wanted - though. I shall do some more thinking.

Granny Penny
05-04-2016, 04:14 PM
It was as if you could see me reading that Clumsycrafter :sm2ile:

I don't think it is and age thing either PurplePenny. They would not normally be my "thing" although I liked this one and I wanted to learn the techniques. More than anything I am left feeling "what would I do with it". I do think Christmas is the one time you can be OTT though. You have sparked a germ of an idea - which is what I really wanted - though. I shall do some more thinking.

jube
05-04-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm 56 and although it is very beautiful it's too ornate for my decorations, and very big for my tree. I can see them selling at a Christmas fair and I expect you will get some orders for various colour schemes. If you enjoy making them then go for it.

Granny Penny
05-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Don't you think it strange that I like making something which, while I see it as beautiful in itself is not my "thing" really Jube? It's actually not that big - no bigger than a standard bauble on a tree. This kit came from an American company (expensive!) - perhaps it is more of an American "thing":sm2ile: It is really clever how a few beads on a pin come together to make the shapes they do. Thank you and everyone for allowing me to bat the thoughts backwards and forwards.

notmorecraft
05-04-2016, 07:29 PM
I like bling n glitz, but these don't really appeal to me, I appreciate the hard work and overall beauty like a Faberge egg, but not my cup of tea xx ( I hate saying it but I'm 54) lol

Shepherdess
05-04-2016, 08:03 PM
I think it's lovely, yes it's a bit ott but if there's one time you can be ott it's C*******s, you wouldn't want loads of them on a tree but the odd one or two would look really good I think and I'm sure they'd sell well especially if you put them in a nice presentation box. I'm 57 by the way.

RozMinis
05-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Oh I am. Just crafting yesterday - I have a bruised bum, pulled muscles in my abdomen and arm - why? Cos I fell off my bliddy chair!! Stop laughing - now!

:welcoming: :bull_head: :drunk:

Sorry love, just couldn't help myself as I have been there, done it, should be wearing the ruddy tee-shirt n'all. ;)

Roz

RozMinis
05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Love a blingy C********* tree, totally vulgar I love, and the more the merrier. I have several of the Pinflair kits, some I have actually got around to making, some are still waiting to see the light of day.

There is a company called Spellbound Beads http://www.spellboundbead.co.uk/c/1579/Bauble-Kits sell kits for similar decorations. Not sure if they have ever brought them to C & C, but I have seen them at Harrogate in November. I have one of their kits to make up too, plus a pair of Christmas pudding earrings that I want to use on my 18" tree. It is too small for the average decorations, the tree that is, so I buy it at least one pair of earrings each year. In the early days I bought it four glass baubles from a garden centre, very delicate they are, but lovely. I also bought a set of pearlised ones in Germany, though they are a tad boring, so don't use them now.

Roz

Little Jan
05-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Although beautiful it's a bit ott for me but everyone likes different things we would be a boring lot if we all liked the same
My daughter always tells me my cards are over the top when I think they are plain and thinks Sue Wilsons cards
Are for old grannies she is nearly 30 I am 60
I am sure if you look around craft fairs you will find a market for them
Good luck

Victoria
06-04-2016, 12:19 AM
My tree decorations are all different so I would gladly hang your ornament on my tree! I've got some that I bought for my Christmas tree after we got married, and then there are decorations that the girls made when they were younger - they all come out every year. I also like to buy single decorations on holiday, the ones you get in Europe are very decorative. In fact, I fancied one in Amsterdam last week in the Royal Delft shop just off Dam Square. I nearly fainted when I saw the price - 40 Euros! I couldn't risk buying it in case it shattered in my case but it was lovely.

Jacksmissis
06-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I think they are stunning GP, don't know if an ordinary size tree would take many but just a few would be nice. Don't favour the dangly bit but then its all part of the design.

Granny Penny
06-04-2016, 10:05 AM
I have done a bit of research and these decorations were popular in the 70s apparently! Not really surprising. The kit was in my stash and I am determined to reduce it hence me making it up now. I am a bit sad that there seems to be no way of using the techniques in a more modern piece - but you never know, I may have a flash of inspiration one day!

Waterlily
06-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Love a blingy C********* tree, totally vulgar I love, and the more the merrier. I have several of the Pinflair kits, some I have actually got around to making, some are still waiting to see the light of day.

There is a company called Spellbound Beads http://www.spellboundbead.co.uk/c/1579/Bauble-Kits sell kits for similar decorations. Not sure if they have ever brought them to C & C, but I have seen them at Harrogate in November. I have one of their kits to make up too, plus a pair of Christmas pudding earrings that I want to use on my 18" tree. It is too small for the average decorations, the tree that is, so I buy it at least one pair of earrings each year. In the early days I bought it four glass baubles from a garden centre, very delicate they are, but lovely. I also bought a set of pearlised ones in Germany, though they are a tad boring, so don't use them now.

Roz

Thanks Roz, Pinflair are the ones that I did (couldn't remember lol). A few are here.

http://www.pinflair.co.uk/sequin-and-bead-craft/ornamental-sequin-kits?page=2

I tried to put a pic up but still can't!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTC
27-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I wanted to learn some techniques so I decided to make this http://www.crackerboxkits.com/ViewItem.aspx?ID=90 - If you click on the video I have made it up to the 1minute 20 seconds point and am quite pleased with it so far.

However, all though my daughter obviously likes it she "can't see people hanging it on their Christmas tree" i.e., - don't make me one mum! I make most of the family quilted or folded star Christmas decorations every Christmas and they are much requested (there's a whole board of them on my Pinterest site if you don't know what I mean) but this seems to be too ... I have no idea but definitely not what they want. I, on the other hand am enjoying making it and was going to do some designs of my own - rather less regal than this and perhaps more Victorian but now do not know where I can take this.

Do you think there is something I could do that would appeal to the younger more, perhaps, country, rustic, shabby chic generation. All comments gratefully received!

The only reason I wouldn't hang it on my tree is that we have all felt ornaments. I would totally use it, though, as a decoration on a mantel, in a window, etc.!