PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please explain why.............

Deefersmum
28-10-2016, 09:19 AM
some peeps have minimal crafting goodies and make gorgeous cards and I have a ton of stuff and can't make one card?

Victoria
28-10-2016, 09:40 AM
I think it's possible to have too much which then makes it difficult to find stuff or decide what to do. I try to have a clearance every 6 months or so and take stuff I know I won't use to school - the children like to make cards during wet playtimes. It's also a great opportunity to find long forgotten things which I then try to use. I'm actually quite ruthless! I've bought very little new stuff in the last 2-3 years apart from the basics which has also helped a lot.

Mitzi
28-10-2016, 10:14 AM
I sometimes think having too much choice (if you're an indecisive person like me) can lead to crafting paralysis. A teacher at one of the classes I’ve attended says if you only have limited time for crafting, you can waste most of it getting stuff out and putting it away again. (Or, if you’re like me, not putting it away again, then you can’t find it next time you want it because it’s in the huge heap of stuff at the back of the desk!) She recommends that once a month or so you get out a selection of materials, which might include stamps, dies, punches, stencils, paints, ink pads, card, decorative papers, ribbon and embellishments. Put them all out on the desk, and for the rest of that month, that’s all you can use. They’re all out and to hand, (obviously you try to choose things that will work well together) and you can experiment with different ways of using them, without ever having to worry about what to use.

Deefersmum
28-10-2016, 10:28 AM
One of the things that really 'gets' me is that you always need something more i.e. you start making a card with paper, embellishments etc., and no matter how much 'stuff' you have, you never have the right weight, colour etc., card. It drives me crazy. I have all these ideas and they just crash dive making the whole thing really annoying. I have even thought about just giving up recently, but then look at the ton of stuff I haven't even used and feel really guilty over the money spent.

Victoria
28-10-2016, 11:02 AM
One of the things that really 'gets' me is that you always need something more i.e. you start making a card with paper, embellishments etc., and no matter how much 'stuff' you have, you never have the right weight, colour etc., card. It drives me crazy. I have all these ideas and they just crash dive making the whole thing really annoying. I have even thought about just giving up recently, but then look at the ton of stuff I haven't even used and feel really guilty over the money spent.

Oh don't give up. I think Mitzi's teacher's suggestion is a good one. I also find that doing the monthly swap and ATC swap is really good for making me use stuff which I might not have used for a while.

Why not have sessions of doing different things such as a background making session. Then some die cutting sessions. Make up boxes of flowers, swirls, flourishes, animals etc. Then how about stamping sessions. Topper making sessions. Then just try to put things together with your scrap pieces of paper as mats, layers, etc.

Mitzi
28-10-2016, 03:10 PM
I also find that doing the monthly swap and ATC swap is really good for making me use stuff which I might not have used for a while.

Yes, it often does. Very true. So Deefie, why not join in?

Little Jan
28-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Yes join the swap it's only a one off obligation
You can dip in and out when you feel like it

Deefersmum
28-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Yes, it often does. Very true. So Deefie, why not join in?

I'll think about it. At the moment I'm trying to cover some chairs and make some 'stuff' for the local church to sell to raise funds for their boilers. I also bought some rather expensive material to make some curtains for the bathroom, but we're not talking about that - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JSC
28-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Swaps are a great idea .

Jacksmissis
28-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Deefy, thats me entirely too. I oohh and arrhh over the stunning samples made in minutes with bits of not much by people and then look at all the stuff in/on cupboards/drawers/under beds (what I can see of it !!) and I know I've said it in jest before but really, and then, because I've no room to do it or find it to make it I go down the card factory shop and flipping buy one - it makes me quite ashamed. I felt like jacking it in many times Deefy but think the tips from Mitzi and Victoria need acting on, see if we can manage better like that?!.

RozMinis
28-10-2016, 07:04 PM
I must admit I do like Victoria's idea. My problem is that I have bought loads of 'stuff' over the years, but now find myself attracted to making items that take much longer than the ten minutes or so can spend making items for the fluffits/woofits. Prick & Stitch, parchment, even rubber stamping and die cutting all take time. Which is one reason why I find Victoria's idea appealing.

When I do my prick & stitch cards for instance I cut my card the correct size, sometimes using the large label dies, other times round and oval, or rectangles and squares, rounding the edges with corner punches. Maybe it is time I did the same for my rubber stamps, stamping the image first of course as I am rubbish at getting the stamp exactly in the middle.

I also need to use up these Hunkydory kits that I have had since Adam was in short trousers. I am using up one of the C & C freebie HD kits at the moment for some quick birthday cards. I realised in a moment of panic after I had finished a load of decoupage cards, that I have loads of birthdays coming up between next week and the end of January. Sooooo I decided that I really do need to get some done.

I am tempted to buy a few cheap ones out of the market, ditto C******** cards, to send to those people, mainly members of my family, who just do not appreciate what I make. I know that because they send me the cheapest old rubbish they can find. I wouldn't mind if they were the cheap ones from Poundland, at least they use decent quality card. The ones they send me are so flimsy that they don't stand up, or have to be stuffed into the card holder four at a time. Oh dear, I do sound like a grumpy old woman this evening. Perhaps I need to get on with making my cards. :)

Roz

Deefersmum
29-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Your comment about making quick cards is so true. I think we all get a bit fooled by the demos on the telly in that everything is prepared before hand and it's just bish, bash bosh and you've got a card. With die cutting etc., it just takes so long if you are trying to make a load of cards - that's why I bought the Big Blue.

jube
29-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I love looking at the birthday cards etc. and they look amazing. Do as I do and just keep trying. I'm going to start my advent calendars this week. I love Christmas.

Chalet School Fan
29-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all these helpful tips. I also get out a few bits and limit myself to those when I am trying to make a stack of cards to sell. My favourite therapeutic make are colour washed backgrounds with a black silhouette die cut. They all come out slightly different, giving an individual look, but are simple to make and effective. All I have out are a selection of 4 Distress inks, inky dusters, pre cut shapes and mounting card.

RozMinis
29-10-2016, 06:22 PM
I adore my inky dusters. Bought 'em a few years ago at a craft fair in Leeds. One of the ladies from Dot's organised the tickets as it was cheaper in bulk. In those days we could get to Leeds on the train for free, so although I spent money, not as much as I did at the NEC and the Knitting & Stitching at Harrogate, it wasn't too costly. Bought some nice goodies that I haven't seen elsewhere, and for some reason my inky dusters were even cheaper than those from Joanna Sheen. Now that is a first!

Managed 7 cards, with one still to finish off, using the Hunkydory kit. Still a few bits left, plus several backing papers that can be used for other cards. Soooo well pleased with myself. Maybe I ought to try the present freebie bird kit next, maybe even the one with the seaside theme while I am at it. Um, well maybe after I have made a few more Christmas cards!

Roz

Chalet School Fan
29-10-2016, 09:20 PM
:plane:I'm sitting in the airport near Washington waiting for the flight home. Not a sniff of crafting stuff anywhere we went, but can't wait to get back to my stash and being creative next week.

Victoria
29-10-2016, 11:30 PM
Gosh that week went quickly didn't it! Hope you had a good time over the pond.

tricia
03-11-2016, 07:32 PM
I was asked last week if I was still going to gave a crafting stand at our county conference. After gulping I said yes then came away and thought oh my goodness I have nothing to sell. So the past few days I have been cutting and die cutting and generally getting everything ready to spend a few days making cards. Now with everything in piles it's a case of putting it all together. I have never been so organised and reasonably tidy so I can see what I have done. It's also made me use papers that I have and been staring at and putting away rather as I like them and didn't want to use them. Next years resolution to myself, stop keep buying crafting goodies as I have far too much already.

Victoria
03-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Good show Tricia! That's how I make my Christmas cards. I love putting everything together and making small changes or using some glitter/wax in different ways. Good luck with your stall.

Deefersmum
04-11-2016, 05:39 AM
I was asked last week if I was still going to gave a crafting stand at our county conference. After gulping I said yes then came away and thought oh my goodness I have nothing to sell. So the past few days I have been cutting and die cutting and generally getting everything ready to spend a few days making cards. Now with everything in piles it's a case of putting it all together. I have never been so organised and reasonably tidy so I can see what I have done. It's also made me use papers that I have and been staring at and putting away rather as I like them and didn't want to use them. Next years resolution to myself, stop keep buying crafting goodies as I have far too much already.

Well done! Let us know how you get on.

Jacksmissis
04-11-2016, 07:50 AM
My life, I hope no-one ever does that to me Tricia, I'd die, hats off to you flower, I hope it all goes well.

Little Jan
04-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Good on you Tricia
I could never take on something like that now ,I get too distracted
I used to take orders for cards from friends and family but it turned a hobby
into a chore in the end.
Now I have a granddaughter I want to spend as much of my time
With her while she thinks nanny is fun.

RozMinis
04-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Good luck to you chuck, fingers crossed that all goes well. It will certainly be one way of using up some of your stash. :)

I used to sell cross stitched cards at various craft fairs in Yorkshire. Like Jan my hobby turned into a chore, as did the crochet for Dolls House & Miniature Scene. As it is 'himself' reckons I am on an unsteady wheel in trying to make so much 'stuff' for the fluffit/woofit Christmas fair. I wonder if he is feeling a little put out as I am supposed to be knitting him a sleeveless top, and also have an order for yet more socks.

Roz