PDA

View Full Version : Lizzy Curtis and Crafters Companion

Deefersmum
01-02-2017, 03:41 PM
So she is going to be a sewing ambassador for Crafters Companion on Hochanda.

If this has been posted before - sorry.

Jacksmissis
01-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Oh my - here we go again lass!! I thought that was Debbie Shore's slot Deefy? I have decided they must have a little bus to come down from Jordie land, all of their programmes seem to be consecutive I suppose it would be more cost effective than loads of cars. Didn't Lizzie make Princess Di's or Sarah Ferguson's wedding dress? Bet she's a belting seamstress if she can tackle that.

Deefersmum
01-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Oh my - here we go again lass!! I thought that was Debbie Shore's slot Deefy? I have decided they must have a little bus to come down from Jordie land, all of their programmes seem to be consecutive I suppose it would be more cost effective than loads of cars. Didn't Lizzie make Princess Di's or Sarah Ferguson's wedding dress? Bet she's a belting seamstress if she can tackle that.

I think she had something to do with with Princess Diana's dress but I'm not sure. I wonder if she will be as well as or instead of the lady who's been doing it (sorry I don't know her name).

RozMinis
01-02-2017, 07:48 PM
I think I would much rather have Lizzie than Debbie Shore. The latter is very slipshod when it comes to using a sewing machine. I wonder why we didn't see Lizzie stitching on either C & C or TCC?

Rossella and Tina (Cox) are going to be on the Clarity shows with either the Pergamano or Groovi products. Tina has been working for Clarity for several months, she was at the parchment exhibition at Harrogate last October. Rossella has only just joined the team.

Roz

Jacksmissis
02-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Roz, do you know I've always thought that Debbie's sewing was 'rough' looking and thought it must be because she was rushing but I've never heard her say she thinks its not very good - as though she can't see it. The other ladies all sew neatly AND finish correctly. I remember Lizzie saying at the beginning of her work with TL that she'd gone into card making from sewing as a change of hobby as against work. Looking forward to seeing the parchment shows I like Tina haven't seen her for a long time. Rosella does nice things too and at least she won't be constantly interrupted like she was on C&C.

Julie
02-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Well I am no expert but agree about Debbie. Have noticed recently all appliqué being done with free motion stitching so it doesn't matter if it goes all over the place !

RozMinis
02-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Well I am no expert but agree about Debbie. Have noticed recently all appliqué being done with free motion stitching so it doesn't matter if it goes all over the place !

It looks horrid though. I've never been a fan of free motion stitching. I did an owl once on my old New Home machine, didn't know what to do with the finished product. Dunno what happened to the machine after I gave it to Kate, but I bet my owl is still in the thingie at the side where the screwdrivers, seam ripper, etc were kept.

Roz

Little Jan
02-02-2017, 08:19 PM
It was David Emanuel that designed and made Diana's dress
He now designs for Bonmarche
How the great have fallen lol
Fergie's dress was by Lindka Cierach

PurplePenny
02-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Perhaps she worked for the Emanuels at the time. Once famous, designers don't do the actual making, though I suppose they might have done on that occasion. Mum used to work for a company that made dresses for all the big couturier houses and she worked on clothes for royals, including Lady Di. Mum felt most insulted when she was told to do her best work for those clothes and she replied that she always did her best work! She also resented the implication that some people were more worthy than others when they were all paying the same price.

PurplePenny
02-02-2017, 09:18 PM
It looks horrid though. I've never been a fan of free motion stitching.

Oh I so agree - it does look horrid. Makes any piece look amateur to me.

dizzycrafter
03-02-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm quite looking forward to see what Lizzy comes up with.... all of the sewing shows seem to be bit samey at the moment I would like to see more dressmaking. I've not had time to check out the sewing quarter yet.
Babs

NeroWolfe
03-02-2017, 02:52 PM
He now designs for Bonmarche
How the great have fallen lol

David Emanuel severed ties with BonMarche last Autumn after nine years. I liked his designs for a High Street price. Mark Heyes is now their Stylist (apparently he's famous in the fashion world!) but to be honest I've never seen their shops so empty. Not sure if they have a 'named' Designer now but they may have lost their way......

Jacksmissis
03-02-2017, 05:20 PM
It looks horrid though. I've never been a fan of free motion stitching. I did an owl once on my old New Home machine, didn't know what to do with the finished product. Dunno what happened to the machine after I gave it to Kate, but I bet my owl is still in the thingie at the side where the screwdrivers, seam ripper, etc were kept.

Roz

Don't tell me it's supposed to look like that? surely not - all over the place? goodness, I would be ashamed if my sewing was like that.

RozMinis
03-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Your mum is a star PP. I always do my best regardless of who I am making what, and in what medium. Must admit I buy most of my togs from Bonmarche. They are always a good fit, though I really ought to go back to making my own stuff, just need to sort my craft room out a bit more so that I can actually find my poor wee sewing machine again!

Roz

bdreish
03-02-2017, 09:53 PM
I have a confession to make :redface3: . My late Mum was an excellent seamstress - self-taught - and made everything from baby clothes to gents suits amd everything in between. Unfortunately I did not take after her and found it hard to even wind a bobbin or thread the needle (my first hubby bought me a sewing machine and he ended up making all our curtains on it!). My current hubby bought me a lovely machine 3 years ago for C*******s and the poor thing is still in its box - unopened :whistle:. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get started as I would really love to make something on it, but I am afraid that I will break it :scared: .

A very ashamed Chris :help:

Lioness
03-02-2017, 10:42 PM
I have a confession to make :redface3: . My late Mum was an excellent seamstress - self-taught - and made everything from baby clothes to gents suits amd everything in between. Unfortunately I did not take after her and found it hard to even wind a bobbin or thread the needle (my first hubby bought me a sewing machine and he ended up making all our curtains on it!). My current hubby bought me a lovely machine 3 years ago for C*******s and the poor thing is still in its box - unopened :whistle:. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get started as I would really love to make something on it, but I am afraid that I will break it :scared: .

My tip: open the box ;)

No seriously, have a look around for any material you may have around the house (old shirts, pyjamas, pillowcases, jeans) and once you have set up the machine just play. Woven cotton is best as it does not slip or stretch. Aim for something small to start with, eg placemats, a draw string bag or a cotton shopping bag.
The most daunting thing is probably setting the machine up - as in threading it. maybe there is a you tube video to help you with this?
g

Jacksmissis
04-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Aww bless!! Don't be frightened of it chuck and please, do take it out of the box and make a brew and a choccy biccy then you'll find a very nice lickle book that gives you the basic do's and don'ts for your machine, sit down and enjoy reading/eating/drinking...then show us what you've done please!

EssexAnne
04-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Try The Sewing Quarter. They are doing some really simple projects at the moment. Mostly straight stitch only. Easy bags. Cushion covers etc. Nice and slow demonstrations. Over the shoulder camera shots etc.

bdreish
04-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Thank you all ladies for the excellent advice :smile3: . I am going to take your advice, make myself a lovely cuppa :tea: with a chocky bicky or three and finally open the box! I will do this on Monday morning when I have the house to myself - be prepared for lots of questions. Thats the great thing about this forum, there are lots of really helpful people on here :grouphug: .

Chris

Jacksmissis
04-02-2017, 04:14 PM
You're very welcome Chris, and if its not perfect who cares you've had the pleasure (and it is a pleasure creating something) don't forget to wash the choccy off yiour fingers before you start lol !!

EssexAnne
04-02-2017, 04:14 PM
With all that talk about chocci biccies , you'll be most welcome onto our nawty step!!

Jacksmissis
04-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Ha!Ha!Ha! that's true EA, not much a cuddle, brew & choccy biccie can't fix lol !!

RozMinis
04-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Aw bless, definitely have a go love. I couldn't wait until I was tall enough to use my grans treadle sewing machine. I must admit though that my favourite was the New Home, which was my first brand new leccy machine. It had 20 cams that did fancy stitches, got bored with those after the first week or so. It did do button holes, but not automatic like they do now. I still prefer working them by hand.

The book of destructions included with the machine are usually pretty good, not only explaining how to make the thing go, but what to do about it when it refuses to co-operate. That doesn't happen very often, but useful on the odd occasion it does.

Don't try anything complicated to begin with. Just playing about with it on a piece of fabric is ideal. That way you find out just what your machine does. I reckon 99.9% of all new sewing machines have to be 'played' with. No matter how many we have used over the years, they are all different. A bit like cars I s'pose. Cars have wheels and windows in the same places, but that is about all.

Roz