PDA

View Full Version : Clarity Stencil Club

Jilly
05-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but as Clarity are on Hochanda - can I ask the question is anyone on the forum a member of the Clarity Stencil Club please? And are the monthly stencils useful ones and is it worth joining? I feel - for me - that the stamps are lets say a bit unusual now and wondered if the stencils are along the same lines or more classic and enduring over time rather than funky.
Hope some peeps can answer - thanks

Jacksmissis
05-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Our Roz is a member of all the groups Jilly, she'll probably be along later. I think she likes all of them - and they have special sales where only members of the clubs can buy 'stuff' too.

RozMinis
05-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Hi fans............ you are my fans I hope. ;) The jury is still out with the stencils, some months they are good, other months, well.......... let us put it this way, I wouldn't rush out and buy 'em. Having said that, the stamps and Groovi plates are a bit like that, but that is part and parcel of joining these things.

For the fiver a month it costs for each group, I am quit satisfied with my goodies, especially with the free postage and all those lovely sales. Not that I could afford to part with all that money for an entire year, hence why I left the stamp group in the past, but at fourteen squids whatever it is per month, I am quite happy.

What I can't understand is why £180 a year seems a lot of money, yet divide it by twelve, and it doesn't. I s'pose there is some fuzzy logic there somewhere that I just can't grasp. No matter.

Roz

sharica
06-03-2017, 01:19 AM
I am a member of all 3 and it really benefits when the member sales are on :)
Agree sometimes they aren't to my taste but its fun receiving goodies every month through the post :)

Chalet School Fan
06-03-2017, 05:50 PM
I agree with what has been said. The project sheets that come with each mailing has interesting techniques for using the stencils, stamps or Groovi plates.

RozMinis
06-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I agree with what has been said. The project sheets that come with each mailing has interesting techniques for using the stencils, stamps or Groovi plates.

I like the one with the last stencil about using it on shrink plastic. Having founds loads of the stuff, including some for printing on, during my sorting out, I think I ought to have a go.

At least it will be something different, and believe me, I need/want/must have someat different at the moment. Dunno why, but I am finding all the craft programs boring at the moment, so maybe I ought to not only not watch 'em, but use what I have in my own way.

I finished off quite a few cards Christine gave me last night. Most just needed a few peel-offs, so not exactly rocket science. Some needed slightly more, and another I did from scratch. With those I had already done, buried under other stuff, there must have been about 20 to take down this morning. I made several up into Mother's Day, or just Mum, bet they went within the hour.

Anywhoo, that is the lot from my craft room for the fluffits/woofits, apart from finished goodies of course. Need to attack the bedroom next. Not so much in there, but it still needs doing.

Roz

Craftysusan
07-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Interesting thread as I didn't realise there was a Groovi club or a stencil club. I have taken the plunge and ordered the Groovi starter kit and a couple of extra plates and am waiting for them to come. Looking forward to giving it a go as I have been itching to get it for some time. The shows on Hochanda this week and the fact that it is my birthday soon finally pushed me over the edge. If I get on with it I think I will join the Groovi club. I am going to be very selective about the plates I buy though as it will become very expensive if I am not strict with myself. Pity there isn't a lending library of craft stuff, it would be very handy.

Jacksmissis
07-03-2017, 04:48 PM
I've been watching some of them CS and they fascinate me! The new configuration of the starter kit is better than the original one that I got IMO, it should give you a good idea of if its for you - and I don't know anyone who says they don't like it LOL, never seen any pre-loved on ebay and that's the first place to look for white elephants - to me anyway! Also, the peeps who dem on Hochy are really good, Barbara herself was a newbie not so long ago and Paul & Maria are brilliant too (IMO).

RozMinis
07-03-2017, 08:13 PM
There is not only the Groovi and stencil clubs, but also the original stamp club. I belonged to that a few years ago, loved the stamps I received, but found having to cough up for an entire year a tad expensive. Which is why I want to know how £180 a year can sound a small fortune, or even a large one, yet less than £15 a month is but chicken feed? I am sure there is some fuzzy logic in my thinking, but then I reckon I am fuzzy anyway. ;)

Paul is my favourite, and was very patient when I was looking for one of the poppy plates. Didn't actually realise it was poppies, but bless him, he didn't laugh at me or bite my head off, even when I hadn't written down the number of the one I already had - daft me. When I looked on their website a few weeks later they didn't have it individually, so I ended up buying it on eBay. Not a white elephant either, but brand new.

I must admit Susan it is very easy to get carried away, even worse when I went with Christine to the parchment exhibition in Harrogate last October. I spent ever so much on the Wightcat stand, then went back for more. I bought several of the PCA plates, they started the idea of these groove thingies several years before Clarity came up with the idea. Two really grabbed my interest, C******** trees with either cats or dogs. Needless to say I bought both as the cats/dogs can be used on their own. By the time I had finished I was amazed I still had money left for the Knitting & Stitching show the following month. There is a lot to be said for saving a bit for these events each week, even if only a few pounds.

Roz

Craftysusan
07-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Thanks Jacksmissis and Roz. I was thankful I waited a bit for the starter kit when Barbara said they had improved it as a result of feedback. I have been checking back in my DVD recorder and I have quite a few shows saved from way back Not long after it was launched and luckily the two extra plates I have ordered were featured (the poppies and a winter scene with a motor car). I find Maria a very calm and clear demonstrator for the Groovi and I love her samples. Doubt I will ever be that good but I can dream. Wish crafting was cheaper but luckily I live in South Wales so Harrogate is a no no for me. We have a craft show in Cardiff but don't remember seeing any parchment craft there.

Jacksmissis
08-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Your welcome chuck, the starter kit is about a fiver dearer but as I said a better buy (IMO) We have got Welsh members on here, Scottish and Irish too but I know most of the craft shows are UK based. I wonder if we could have a section started - a calendar type of thing - which would let our members put on the venue and date of any shows they hear of? What do you think peeps? (should say I'm not bright enough to work out how it could be done, but I know what I mean LOL !!)

pyjama princess
08-03-2017, 10:38 AM
....... Wish crafting was cheaper but luckily I live in South Wales so Harrogate is a no no for me. We have a craft show in Cardiff but don't remember seeing any parchment craft there.

I've just booked a Groovi workshop in Port Talbot library on 8th April. There's no places left on this one but they're hoping to make it a regular thing.
JM there is a section called 'Craft Fairs, Shows and Events'. I don't think your calendar idea is doable (although I think it's a great idea).

Jacksmissis
08-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks PP, I hadn't realised that. Seems such a shame that avid crafters can't get to some of the shows because of distance. Hope you get to go to some CS!!

RozMinis
08-03-2017, 07:37 PM
It is a fair way from Walters towers to Harrogate, a bus ride, two trains and another bus to get us to the parchment do. Skip the second bus when going to the Knitting/Stitching show, although there is that mountain to climb to get us back to the train station. I would have killed for a taxi up that hill last year. I was starting with tonsillitis at the time, so perhaps that was the problem.

I'm a self taught, with the help of books, when it comes to parching. I'm not exactly brilliant at it, but I lurve a challenge. It is the same with counted thread embroidery, although at least these days we do have access to t'Internet. Bit miffed that I had just cracked how to do shuttle tatting properly when that accident happened. I can still needle tat, also self taught, but it isn't as fine as delicate as shuttle tatting.

Roz

Lioness
08-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Your welcome chuck, the starter kit is about a fiver dearer but as I said a better buy (IMO) We have got Welsh members on here, Scottish and Irish too but I know most of the craft shows are UK based. I wonder if we could have a section started - a calendar type of thing - which would let our members put on the venue and date of any shows they hear of? What do you think peeps? (should say I'm not bright enough to work out how it could be done, but I know what I mean LOL !!)

JM. There is a calendar on this site which stops at 2011. at the moment it seems to be populated with members birthdays, but there is an add event option. What I don't know is whether all entries would be shared or not.
See top of this page next to FAQ on the menu.
Might have to check with Graham to see if you can add current years - just a thought ..

Craftysusan
08-03-2017, 10:11 PM
I've just booked a Groovi workshop in Port Talbot library on 8th April. There's no places left on this one but they're hoping to make it a regular thing.
JM there is a section called 'Craft Fairs, Shows and Events'. I don't think your calendar idea is doable (although I think it's a great idea).
That's interesting Pyjama Princess, Port Talbot is not a million miles away.
The only show I can realistically get to is Cardiff, but would love to go to AllyPally or Birmingham. Harrogate is really too far unfortunately although I do have relatives in Yorkshire so who knows. Maybe one day. The Cardiff craft show is in the Cardiff City Football Stadium on 16 and 17 June. Entry is £5 with a free tea and coffee. We don't get the big names though sadly.

Jacksmissis
09-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Thanks Lioness, I'll check it out along with PJP's msg later, Ireally should have a good look around - see what else we have!