PDA

View Full Version : Dawn's new flower kits

jeanfan
19-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Is it just me who thinks this kit is taking us back years,the die cut flowers and butterflies are awful. Watching Hobby house and flicking on to the Die'sire show,there's no comparison- I did like some of the cards made with Dawn's stamps,they were done in paler colours and looked so much nicer. Just my opinion.

Jean x

Glingle
19-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Nope, it looked terribly dated to me. I did smile to myself when the presenter on the launch show asked Dawn how long it had taken her to come up with the concept and work the construction out, Dawn very carefully avoided that part if the question, presumably meaning that someone else had done all the planning and created the mechanism.

Julie
19-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Apart from the items Dawn has designed, I think there is a big warehouse somewhere that Dawn has the run of to pick products for the shows. To my eye everything is just a bit 'off'. Why hundreds of butterfly's on holographic acetate, the actual images weren't that bad if they were more plain. The stick on gems are on the gaudy side, even the moon rock/dazzlers look a rougher version of the originals and in some questionable colours. Forget about sheets of large foam pads now, it's bicycle wheel size reels of foam tape that we need, I'd get in a right mess with those.

It's as as if someone without much of an eye for design has been let loose with a cheque book, but hey what do I know, someone must be buying it all.

sam
19-03-2017, 04:51 PM
i've not seen the kit, but I do think that everything to do with Dawn is old fashioned.

RozMinis
19-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Didn't care much for the kit myself, though only caught a few minutes of the show as I knew it wasn't my thing. Robert Addams does much better designs on his CD's, and not just flowers either.

As for the huge reels of foam, sheesh, where on earth would I store them? I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that Hochanda have bought up the stock from The Craft Channel warehouse. TCC had those reels of foam on ages ago. I also noticed she was flogging the rolls of double sided sticky that C & C are flogging.

What annoys me though is that she has her name attached to everything, Dawn Bibby this that, and t'other. The most annoying though is the Dawn Bibby superior water colour pencils and water brushes. That is as bad as Anna Griffin with her exclusive range of water colour pencils. What a load of old tripe, best to check out a proper artists shop for watercolour paints/pencils, or any other artist goodies. Just because it has the name Dawn Bibby/Anna Griffin or any other celeb from the craft channels, does not mean it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Roz - who is still fuming over that dratted American on the Crewel Work show yesterday :(

Sue
19-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Well I have found Dawn's show on Hochanda quite edumacational. They just showed one of her stamp sets, which included the word "overjoying". I did a double take and thought "is that even a word?", so Googled and it turns out it is! Well I'll go to the foot of our loft ladder*! Mind you, I can't think of a sentence in which I would use "overjoying" can you?

*Can't go to the foot of our stairs, I live in a bungalow.

PinkPig
19-03-2017, 06:54 PM
I had a look at the Robert Addams video and two templates - one for a pomander and one for a bouquet on the Silhouette US site and the instructions for the Dawn one were definitely easier for me to follow if I was thinking of buying although the 3D pomander template was only £1.30. I think you could use chicks or rabbits or eggs to make an Easter themed version, daffodils and shamrock for St Patrick and St David.I liked the quick wreath too. Might wait and see if the die goes onto the Craft Buddy website.

PurplePenny
20-03-2017, 08:23 AM
I couldn't see the point of the little tab that slots into the other half. It keeps the circle from opening too far, but if you stick them together and put them inside a card, as she was doing, they can only open as far as the card opens anyway. For a card centre pop-up I think the kind with seven flowers (which might be the type Robert Addams does) looks a lot nicer, more like a bouquet.

Jacksmissis
20-03-2017, 02:16 PM
I wondered if some of the stuff was from TCC as well, especially the blessed Chai Buddy Tea Infuser Bottles - as Peter Kay would say, "what's that all about" ??they had them on TCC for months but no-one seemed to know why.

RozMinis
20-03-2017, 07:32 PM
I live in a bungalow too Sue, but we have a loft, which 'himself' goes into a few times a year. Soooo we can go to the foot of his stepladder. Our much missed Hazey could not believe we didn't have stairs for her to charge up and down when we moved here. Of course she had forgotten that for the first eight years or so of her life she wasn't allowed to go upstairs. It was the here and now she was interested in.

Rob's cards are lovely, and quite easy to do, though with some of them I decided that he did make life more difficult that it need be.

Give Hochy time, they are bound to come up with that tea infuser thingie. They do cookery shows every so often, usually with curry and such like.

Roz

Julie
20-03-2017, 07:50 PM
The Chai Buddy has already reared its ugly head, they were sipping from them in one show.

PinkPig
20-03-2017, 08:27 PM
The bracelets too.

PinkPig
21-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Also just realised Dawn is still on QVC - but QVC Germany.

Julie
21-03-2017, 02:12 PM
I didn't realise that either but it explains why she said she was off to Germany on Monday.

RozMinis
21-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Wonder if she moans about the weather there. From my memories of Germany in November, it was even colder than it was here in the UK. What I did notice was that it was a dry, rather than a damp cold. Could be something to do with the altitude I suppose. The area around Dortmund is not as high as Bavaria, but still higher than some bits of the UK.

Roz