PDA

View Full Version : Colouring help please

Craftysusan
26-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone. I am getting on really well with the Groovi system and need some advice please on colouring the parchment. I have watercolour pencils but was wondering whether ordinary waxy colouring pencils would be better. If so, what make do you recommend? I was looking at the Spectrum Noir Colourblend ones but they are over £20 so would like some advice before I plunge in. Many thanks.

pyjama princess
26-03-2017, 11:30 AM
I'm a complete newbie at Groovi/parchment. I'm due to go on a workshop in Port Talbot on 8th April and was told to bring blend-able coloured pencils. When I said I had Derwent watercolour pencils I was told the following - 'Water colour pencils can be used on parchment but they need an oil based pencil for a base'. So I've now bought Faber Castell Polychromos. I've heard a lot of people say they use Spectrum Noirs. Do you do FaceBook? There's a Groovi Worldwide page and the members there are really helpful.

Craftysusan
26-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Thanks Pyjama Princess. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook. Hope you enjoy your workshop. Any tips you get would be gratefully received.

RozMinis
26-03-2017, 06:21 PM
I have Lyra and also some from Ryman's (bought years ago) that are blendable. I use lavender oil or the Pergamano Zest-it as a blending medium. I also have a couple of sets of the Dorso crayons. I have used watercolour paint, also acrylic in the past, both to good effect. I must be perfectly honest though, I much prefer whitework. Mainly because to me that is what parching is all about.

If using watercolour, then I have found the crayons to be the best as not so much in the way of water is required. I also use a proper paint brush as those brushes with the water chamber can get a tad carried away, at least they do in my hands. Watercolour pens, such as the Aquamarker's are also good, but they can be a little on the bright side.

Roz

Craftysusan
26-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Thanks Roz. There are so many choices it can be a bit baffling. Maybe I will concentrate on the white work for the time being until I get used to doing that. So many tools and techniques and not enough money as usual!

Jacksmissis
27-03-2017, 07:47 AM
I treat myself with some of my "non-Harrogate" day out money to the Perga-colours from Barbara, not used them but they seem to be like a posh felt tip? Supposed to be v good. I also have some wax crayons and the oil stuff you use to 'paint' the colour with =- again unused yet LOL !

Craftysusan
27-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Thanks Jacksmissis. I did consider the Perga colours but as I have promarkers I couldn't justify buying them as well. I also thought pencils would give me more control as I am a bit heavy handed. I enjoyed Rosella's show yesterday and am looking forward to watching tomorrow for some more tips. I need to get the cutting scissors as well. That's the trouble with a new hobby, there are so many essentials to buy. I also need the folders to keep everything in (not looking forward to next month's confession thread - I could be in the confessional box for hours at this rate)!

RozMinis
27-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Mwhahahahaha, poor Susan. We'll hold your hand chuck, and we promise not to shout at you when your credit card bill arrives, or bank statement!

I'm lucky in that I bought most of my tools several years ago, one or two I rather wished I hadn't, but was persuaded to buy a lady on QVC. Nope, not Dawn Bibby, but another lady. That was the arrow tool, and a couple of others. I also bought the Pergamano grids that I really couldn't get on with as I couldn't see the holes. Managed to flog the grids on eBay, so although I still lost money, I did get something back. I bought the PCA grids locally, much easier to use, of course now Pergamano use a similar grid, although they are not quite as large.

Bought the first three of Christine Coleman's videos, but had to part with them when we moved. Did try recording them onto DVD's, but with mixed results. :(

I have the Pergamano snips, but don't really like them as the metal bit at the end cuts into my hand. Bought the scissors instead, found I can use those with the first two fingers of my right or left hand. Was a bit nawty, ha understatement there, when Christine and I went to the parchment do at Harrogate last year. I bought a fine four needle tool that will actually cut through the parchment to create a perfect little cross. Well thinks I, if there is a fine, then there must be a bold as well. Took some finding, but found not only the bold, but also a octagon. Can't remember if it is fine or bold, but I need the other, providing there is one of course. I should say these tools are PCA, don't think Pergamano do them.

Roz

Craftysusan
03-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks Roz. Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I've been a bit busy and can't always get on here as often as I would like. I bought the basic parchment scissors from Clarity as Barbara recommended these for beginners. I also bought some of the bird A6 plates and of course I had to get the mini plate mate. I used the corner punch today but noticed that the middle of the parchment was standing proud from the card. Have I been too heavy handed? Luckily it was poppies so I put some Creative Expressions glue behind the black part of the flower. Is the Pergamano glue a necessity or will the CE glue be ok for future projects please?