PDA

View Full Version : Impulse buys?

Deefersmum
04-04-2017, 07:54 AM
I mentioned before that I was interested in Chapter 1 of the Sizzix dies, but couldn't get them from my fav outlet. Now I find I don't want them anymore!

Makes you wonder how many things we buy on impulse? Come to think of it - quite a lot and I have boxes full to prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lioness
04-04-2017, 08:03 AM
I have too many of these too. I find I buy less if I dont watch demos, so tend to record more rather than watch shows live. By the time I watch the recordings the 'deals' have gone so no pressure to buy. Works for me.

jube
04-04-2017, 10:15 AM
I have a confession. I am waiting for a reconditioned scan n cut at arrive. I love my silhouette but I bought the portrait so it's just too small. After playing with a scan n cut I decided that why not I'm worth it. I went for a reconditioned 900 the price was too good to miss.

tricia
04-04-2017, 11:14 AM
I have an original craft robot and kept thinking about purchasing a better one. Started looking at the cougar and then the silver bullet as they certainly do so much more. But then thought hang on how many times nowadays do I use my craft robot and can I really say that spending £700+ would be a good investment, so far my answer is no. I might have used my craft robots numerous times in the past but it hasn't been out of its bag for at least two years, so even though it would be nice to cut metal and other items and get intricate cuts from the silver bullet the answer is still no. Unless I happen to win pots of money then I might reconsider.

Deefersmum
04-04-2017, 11:36 AM
I have a confession. I am waiting for a reconditioned scan n cut at arrive. I love my silhouette but I bought the portrait so it's just too small. After playing with a scan n cut I decided that why not I'm worth it. I went for a reconditioned 900 the price was too good to miss.

Nawty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy :whoo:

Mitzi
04-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Going through some of my old stuff in the craft storeroom, and I have been struck by how most of the things I bought in shops or at craft fairs years ago have stood the test of time - like some Stampers Anonymous stamps, which have been reissued in recent years, but I have the originals going back almost 20 years. I had quite decent taste even then.

On the other hand, many of the things I bought from (mainly) QVC, look dated and tasteless. Not all, but many. Most were impulse buys due to succumbing to pressure sales "buy now or you miss your chance / the price will double..."

Let that be a lesson to me!

Jacksmissis
04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
My Gracie (Cameo) hasn't seen the light of day for 3 years now - I'm so ashamed and I look at the 900 when Mels had it on and think ooh, arrh and fancy. Then I feel so bad. Anyway, in the next few weeks (about 4) the existing little bedroom will become my craft bolt hole. I'm away Easter w/e and only back 10 days then 2 wks away. So fed up of just assembling (pick & stick) so I've already bought some shelving.....................!

notmorecraft
04-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm a lot better now as I tend to go to craft shows and shops with a list of specifics, last impulse buy was the Accuquilt Go Big from C&C last August, I then sold my Accuquilt Go. I know it was a 'big purchase' but my existing Go dies could still be used. I've cut two quilts out over the last two weekends and each quilt took about an hour an hour and a half, instead of all afternoon. Before when I made more cards and things I used to be terrible and bought dies I probably only used once. Still got a green cuttlebug in the box, I stopped using it when I bought a GC.

RozMinis
04-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Still got a green cuttlebug in the box, I stopped using it when I bought a GC.

You bad, bad girl. My wee bug is very upset that you have shoved him in a box. Granted until I cleared my craft room out that is exactly where my GC was kept. It is now on a shelf where I can at least see it, but it will only be used on dies that may hurt my wee chap. That Tonic cracker die is one of them. Although it goes through ok, it is obviously just a little on the wide side, so has cracked one of his original plates. Soooo, in future I will be using the GC for that particular die.

Roz

RozMinis
04-04-2017, 08:08 PM
I've bought stuff in the past that I have later regretted, especially that butterfly/dragonfly Dawn Bibby kit on QVC. Gawd knows why I fell for the hype, especially as it was coming up to five o'clock, and down to the last 20%, or something of that ilk. I ended up giving most of it away, but I kept the box for a long time as a reminder not to be so ****** stupid in the future. It worked too, I never did fall for QVC's buy, buy, buy, policy.

I have had several HD kits that remain unused, especially a pack of four C******** kits, but as I no longer have Dot to sell me 'stuff', then they, along with the other part kits, will get used - eventually! Going by how many times my shopping trolley went down to the charity shop filled to overflowing with craft stuff, I can only assume I have fallen too often for 'stuff' I either didn't really want, or isn't the sort of thing I now like. My one consolation is that the charity has benefited, so I don't feel quite so bad.

Roz

Julie
04-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Virtually everything I buy is on impulse because let's face it I can live without it all really. I see something and it sparks my imagination and off I go on a product hunt, then one thing leads to another. I would say 95% of everything I buy is from small independent retailers, better service and better prices. Having said that, I won't spend ages looking for things a pound or so cheaper as everyone deserves to make a decent living and my time is worth more to me than a few quid.

I have to buy when the inspiration strikes as otherwise I have forgotten all about it the next day !

Chalet School Fan
05-04-2017, 07:38 AM
I was given a Hobbycraft voucher for my last birthday and put it towards a Cricut Air. It wasn't really an impulse buy as my birthday was in July and I placed my order when it was in the Black Friday sale. I do like it, but I have barely used it as I simply don't have time to get to grips with what it can do.
Buying packs of fat quarters is my worst impulse habit. If they are pretty they end up in my basket, although I have no more time for sewing than I have for papercrafting!

Deefersmum
05-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Virtually everything I buy is on impulse because let's face it I can live without it all really. I see something and it sparks my imagination and off I go on a product hunt, then one thing leads to another. I would say 95% of everything I buy is from small independent retailers, better service and better prices. Having said that, I won't spend ages looking for things a pound or so cheaper as everyone deserves to make a decent living and my time is worth more to me than a few quid.

I have to buy when the inspiration strikes as otherwise I have forgotten all about it the next day !

I've found quite a good remedy for impulse buying - watch one of the craft channels and at the same time get one of your boxes of 'stuff' out. You'll soon realise you don't want anything else as you look through and find things you bought years ago, still haven't used and are wondering 'why did I buy that?'.

wonky doodle
05-04-2017, 12:31 PM
My impulse buys have been about the Dies from China lately, like everyone else, it seems, I am really not watching much on the craft channels, although taping the scan n Cut ones in case I miss something, nosey as I am. My buying and doing got out of hand so difficult as it is to sit on my hands have really had to do it. Now my next resolution is to stop going on the buying sites looking at all the Dies, wish me luck!!

Mitzi
06-04-2017, 06:00 PM
I haven't got into the dies from China habit yet, although they don't break the bank, do they? I've recently booked several (very) expensive holidays for this year, though, so I really can't afford to spend anything at all on craft supplies. It's not as if I'm short of stuff! Although every time I resolve not to buy any more craft items, I see something I absolutely must have, and my willpower disappears in a puff of smoke. So I'm not watching craft telly (not that I ever get chance to watch much of it, now that I'm back at work full time) and avoiding shops that tempt me, like The Range. The main problem is when I go to classes at Art From The Heart because I always want everything in their shop! Must not give in to impulse. Will not buy anything at the time of first seeing it. Honest.

Jacksmissis
06-04-2017, 06:47 PM
You'll have to get a suitcase out and leave it in view - that will remind you why you HAVE to be good !

ps where you going Mitzi?

Mitzi
08-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Germany & Austria, Malta, Ukraine and Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast.)

Jacksmissis
09-04-2017, 07:32 AM
oooh , you're gonna be exhausted but that sounds lovely Mitzi.

Mitzi
21-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Well since I wrote the above I had an email from Sizzix about their sale... might have bought one or two things. Then I did a class at Art from the Heart. Might have bought one or two things. Then I got an email from Craft Stash or whatever it's called, saying something I'd wanted previously was now back in stock. Might have bought it. Oops.

So, reset: Not buying any craft stuff from now on! Oh except the Tim Holtz mini crazy cats & dogs stamps, which I have to buy, to go with the matching dies I bought in the Sizzix sale. Now, where can I get those cheap???

Jacksmissis
21-04-2017, 03:46 PM
"Now, where can I get those cheap??? "

Germany & Austria, Malta, Ukraine and Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast.)

Maybe LOL !!

Glingle
21-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Well since I wrote the above I had an email from Sizzix about their sale... might have bought one or two things. Then I did a class at Art from the Heart. Might have bought one or two things. Then I got an email from Craft Stash or whatever it's called, saying something I'd wanted previously was now back in stock. Might have bought it. Oops.

So, reset: Not buying any craft stuff from now on! Oh except the Tim Holtz mini crazy cats & dogs stamps, which I have to buy, to go with the matching dies I bought in the Sizzix sale. Now, where can I get those cheap???
I saw the sissix sale on Facebook and ended up buying the mini crazy bird dies, so I need to buy the stamps for them now! A few *coughtencough* other items might have fallen into my basket whilst I was there. Had an email from DPD saying it's all being delivered on Monday.