I would love to make one for her but have not done any
crochet for years due to my fingers playing up
I see they do crochet hooks with a soft handle now
Does any one know of a simple but pretty pattern
And the best wool to use please
Jan

PinkPig
10-11-2018, 03:20 PM
I am afraid I cheated and bought one for our new grandaughter due to her early arrival.

Little Jan
10-11-2018, 05:16 PM
I was going to do one for last grandaughter but someone beat me to it
Daughter has seen on on ebay
Which is half of what it would cost me in just in wool

Waterlily
11-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Hi Jan, had a look through my patterns as I had quite a nice one that was fairly easy to do. Still got the cover somewhere but I can't find the pattern. Couldn't find any cover patterns at all but there must have been about 10 shawl patterns. Sorry.

Little Jan
11-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Thanks for looking Pam

PurplePenny
11-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Have you decided to get the one on eBay? If not, or you want to make one anyway, this site has some nice free patterns: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/crochet-4162930
I think it is a US site though so you would have to check the instructions for single/double/treble stitches as they are different to the UK.

RozMinis
11-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Revelry is a good place to find patterns. Some are UK/ROW, though quite a few are from the USA, which has a different system to the rest of us. Actually I think their system is more logical, bit like their idea of cup cakes, far more sensible than the confusion with buns.

I use the Clover Soft Touch hooks. I wouldn't say they are soft as such, but they are much easier on the hands/fingers than the metal ones. Clover also do sizes that are not readily available here in the UK, which for somebody who used to use a size 0.50mm, is a blessing. I tried to crochet with a size 6.00mm hook a few days ago, big mistake on my part. Check out Amazon or eBay for hooks.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&pc=babyblanket&query=easy%20crochet%20baby%20blankets&page=1&sort=best&availability=free&craft=crochet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=crochet+hooks&sprefix=crochet+hooks%2Caps%2C464&crid=3K9PAX8OP5WAF&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acrochet+hooks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crochet+hooks

I can't believe just how cheap sets of them are on Amazon and eBay. I've coughed up more than what they are charging just for a case for mine. I have also seen hooks that have little lights on them so that one can see what one is doing. I have a feeling they would probably drive me round the twist!

Roz

Lioness
12-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Have you tried searching for baby blankets patterns on Pinterest? It can be quite time-consuming but you may find something you like.
I highly recommend crochet hooks with the fatter silicone type handles. There is no way that I would be able to crochet using a standard metal hook as I would not be able to grip it easily. I treated myself to some clover amour hooks. As they are fairly chunky they are easier to hold. I also crochet by holding the hook like a knife rather than a pencil. Again the grip is not as tight, hence more comfortable for my hand, but that is personal preference. As regards the cost-sadly gone are the days when it was cheaper to make your own.

Little Jan
12-11-2018, 07:43 AM
Thanks ladies
I have ordered a set of the soft grip hooks
And think I have sorted a pattern on a free download site
I agree about the price of making things yourself
Last lot of wool I bought was 3 for a £1 in Wilkinson’s lol
We have a big wool shop in town
Probably over priced as most of the shops are
The town does not have many shops but what it does have charge the earth
Probably as the locals are quite affluent( unlike us )so they can charge what they like lol
Not sure what wool is best though

Lioness
12-11-2018, 08:24 AM
If its likely to need lots of washing then the safest bet would probably be 'baby wool/yarn', which normally comes in acrylic I think. They tend to be softer which hopefully will also mean that it should be easier/less scratchy to crochet with.
To an extent, the pattern may determine what yarn you use.

There is also a chenille type yarn which can be used for baby blankets but you need 7-9mm hooks for the one I have seen.
What is your deadline for this? Aldi and Lidl often have reasonably priced baby yarn but you have to wait for deals to come around. And the choice may be limited

Little Jan
12-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Thanks Lioness
I have untill March so no real hurry just like to make sure I have things in advance
I do set my self a task though, years ago I made a crochet hooded cape for a christening
I liked the pattern but the thing is I had never done crochet before lol
but it turned out ok once I had mastered the pattern I was wizzing along
Same as cross stitch I mastered doing basic birth samplers then decided to do a vase of roses for my mum for Christmas
There were 15 shades of pink and about 15 roses
I stared it in August and ended up just getting it done for Mums Birthday in the January
only as left out a few of the roses from the design lol
I never do take the easy route
at the moment I am making dress up stuff for Grandaughter
found some lovey rainbow voil like fabric
It was a B...er to sew it kept fraying good job its only for playing in
now she wants me to make a dress up wedding dress
can I have it done for Friday when I go
Erm No lol

RozMinis
12-11-2018, 06:57 PM
The easy route is something I seldom go down, no fun in it!

I am very lucky in that we have three stalls in the market that sell knitting yarn. Yup they are still there in the new market. Wilko's, Poundland and Poundstretcher also sell knitting yarn. I usually buy from the shop in the arcade though. That is where the most expensive yarn is, but also where the best offers are. When I say expensive it is because it is the real top drawer stuff, but they also sell the much cheaper brands as well.

I've bought loads of 'on offer' yarn to make scarves/shawls for the woofit/fluffit shop. As soon as there are only a couple of balls of a dye lot left, it goes into the sale bin. So a ball that would normally cost say £4, would be reduced to £2.50 or so. As I spend my life savings in the shop, as does Christine, we get a 10% discount. They are also very obliging in getting a pack of yarn for us that they wouldn't normally sell. They are also one of those lovely shops that will put yarn away if we can't afford it all in one go.

Roz

Princess4Wiz
13-11-2018, 05:50 AM
I recently completed this blanket for a work colleague who is expecting a very precious IVF baby in January. The wool I used is Stylecraft special baby DK (which is 100% acrylic) and it cost £2.19 per 100g ball. I think it took 4 balls to knit. The blanket was quite harsh when first knitted but after a wash and a tumble dry it was beautifully soft. Generally speaking I find cheap wool to be not terribly successful and only use it for toys and suchlike where it doesn't really matter. I don't like to waste money and do pick and choose my materials. I have a lovely local wool shop where I purchase most of my wool as I can really examine it and get a feel for it before parting with my hard earned cash!

Little Jan
13-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info ladies
Daughter has purchased a blanket off ebay it’s a basic design in white but with a few rows of pastel
Lady is doing a white hat with a multi pastel bobble for free
Lady says she makes them all day everyday as a hobby and to make some pocket money she must bulk buy her wool for the price she charges and still makes a profit
Daughter said if I still want to make she would be pleased
So I will try the wool shop in town.

Little Jan
13-11-2018, 08:41 AM
I recently completed this blanket for a work colleague who is expecting a very precious IVF baby in January. The wool I used is Stylecraft special baby DK (which is 100% acrylic) and it cost £2.19 per 100g ball. I think it took 4 balls to knit. The blanket was quite harsh when first knitted but after a wash and a tumble dry it was beautifully soft. Generally speaking I find cheap wool to be not terribly successful and only use it for toys and suchlike where it doesn't really matter. I don't like to waste money and do pick and choose my materials. I have a lovely local wool shop where I purchase most of my wool as I can really examine it and get a feel for it before parting with my hard earned cash!

That is really pretty
I can’t knit many people have tried to teach me but tell me I am too cack
handed

Princess4Wiz
13-11-2018, 05:07 PM
That is really pretty
I can’t knit many people have tried to teach me but tell me I am too cack
handed

Luckily I was taught to knit at an early age by my Mum. My eyesight isn't too great now so I have to have simple patterns and that blanket is simplicity itself. Only four rows to the pattern which I could memorise without any trouble. Are you left handed? If you are then you should find a left handed teacher.

RozMinis
13-11-2018, 06:52 PM
My gran taught me to knit and crochet. Not sure why she didn't throttle me with the knitting needles though as it took me an age to work out how to start and end a row. Can't believe I was such an idiot when I look back on all the stuff I have knitted over the years. I have knitted socks for 'himself' since I don't know when, but only really started knitting them for myself this past year or so. I now have enough sock yarn to start my own shop I reckon. Granted it is a lot dearer than buying ready made, but they do last, and fit perfectly. In himself's case they have to be extra long, which are impossible to buy in any shop.

As for knitting left handed. One of the ladies in our needle/natter group taught herself to crochet right handed. The lady who did the crochet when we were at Dot's shop told her she couldn't teach her because she was a lefty. Not sure if she knits left or right handed though, I will ask her next week.

Roz

Waterlily
14-11-2018, 11:38 AM
The first thing I learnt craftwise was knitting, my Mum was a great knitter and taught me at a very young age. She never crocheted so I taught myself from a book when I was in my teens. I don't know what I think is easiest but love the fact with crochet that you can leave it anywhere and start again without leaving a 'hole' lol. I even taught a couple of girls at junior school how to do purl lol.

Little Jan
14-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Luckily I was taught to knit at an early age by my Mum. My eyesight isn't too great now so I have to have simple patterns and that blanket is simplicity itself. Only four rows to the pattern which I could memorise without any trouble. Are you left handed? If you are then you should find a left handed teacher.

No I am right handed lol

Little Jan
14-11-2018, 12:54 PM
The first thing I learnt craftwise was knitting, my Mum was a great knitter and taught me at a very young age. She never crocheted so I taught myself from a book when I was in my teens. I don't know what I think is easiest but love the fact with crochet that you can leave it anywhere and start again without leaving a 'hole' lol. I even taught a couple of girls at junior school how to do purl lol.

My mum never taught me anything craft wise
She started a slip over for my dad I remember it well (I must have been about 5/6 )it was in blue wool flecked with brown
Every Christmas when I went to the corner cabinet where we kept the few decorations we had
There it was half done
We moved when I was 10 and for many years the unfinished item was in a white paper bag it a new cupboard
I am sure it was still about when I got married in 1983 lol

When mum was ill the lady over the road acted as my foster mum
I was 8 and she taught me how to sew a hem by hand with out the stitches showing though
She never had a sewing machine so she taught me to make clothing by hand
She tried in vain to teach me to knit and although she had the patience of a saint she gave up on me
I still prefer to hand sew although my sewing machine is getting a lot of use

me to sew my clothes by hand

Lioness
14-11-2018, 08:40 PM
I was taught to knit the Continental way, so I suppose it's neither left nor right handed.
LJ, there are so many videos around, maybe it's worth having a look. Sometimes it's the way it's explained rather than the task itself which makes the difference between 'getting it' or not

RozMinis
14-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Must admit I prefer hand sewing. I do like the good firm seam that comes from using a sewing machine, but if I can hand sew it, then I will. I decided long ago that I must be crackers as I much prefer the look of hand stitch buttonholes, they seem to look much neater than machine made ones, especially these days. My old New Home did much better buttonholes than my present Singer, even though they are now totally automatic.

I've had a go at continental knitting, but decided that I could knit just as fast using the conventional method. I found doing the purl stitch the continental way put far more strain on my wrist and fingers than was acceptable. The knit stitch was, well ok, I suppose. I did consider trying it with my socks, apart from the rib, and part of the heel, they are worked in the round, so only the knit stitch is used.

Roz