PDA

View Full Version : Printers cartridges

viv
04-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know if this has come up on the Forum before but I bought yesterday aTesco's Photo Pack compatible with Epson PictureMate 500. It said on the pack "for printers using Epson T5570" picture pack. The box contained the inks cartridge and 100 sheets of 250gsm photo paper-cost £13.99! I thought too good to be true but bought it anyway. The photos I printed today are perfect-vibrant colours and crisp I could'nt believe my eyes, I am over the moon as the price is so attractive and what's more, it delivered excellent results.:happy:

Rentochops
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I wish we had a Tesco in Jersey, but then all the other shops would close I guess:cheeky:

Ink is apparently more expensive than champagne - I get through an awful lot being a CD-ROM addict! (Ink that is, sadly not champagne).

Jeanette
05-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Yes, Tesco cartridges are very good value and excellent quality ink. I would like a new printer soon though which has individual cartidges instead of the tri-colour one. My son has a CISS on his epsom printer and you get sooooooooo much ink for your money

LoobyLou
05-07-2009, 06:13 AM
I stick to the genuine cartridges myself. I honestly find that there is more ink in them and they seem to go further than compatibles. Plus some compatibles are so badly made and have such poor quality ink that you can use up half a cartridge trying to get it to print clean.

I have an Epson and their ink is called durabrite and doesnt bleed if it gets wet, a must have for being able to digitally print and then colour in!

Looby

Mothership
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I have an Epson and their ink is called durabrite and doesnt bleed if it gets wet, a must have for being able to digitally print and then colour in!

Looby

I use Ghiant Ink-Jet fixative spray to seal my prints for colouring.

Best price I've found is http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_2&products_id=61025

I use the Matt finish :hi:

A bit off topic I know but...

Mothership
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Looby

Meant to ask...

Do Epson have different formulations of ink? Perhaps for different models.
I use Epson multipack O556 and cannot watercolour without using a fixative as per my previous post.

LoobyLou
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Not as far as I am aware MS. I have no problems with mine bleeding though. Are you giving it sufficient time to dry before starting?

Looby

Mothership
05-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Not as far as I am aware MS. I have no problems with mine bleeding though. Are you giving it sufficient time to dry before starting?

Looby

I've left things to one side for months before painting, I thought that might cure the problem. It didn't matter what paper or card I used the ink would always bleed.
I dunno, it does seem to be a common problem which is how I picked up on using a fixative. Using that I don't have a problem with bleeding any more and I was just curious as to how you weren't getting the same effect.

Phree
05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
On the topic of compatible ink cartridges - you need to be aware of the difference between "remanufactured" and "refilled". Those names are pretty self explanatory if you think about it. A remanufactured cartridge has been reconditioned in every aspect - a refilled one has simply been filled again with ink.

Make and model of printer is also relevant. To give you an example of what I mean - I have an Hewlett Packard inkjet and the cartridges for that are more than just ink tanks - the actual printhead is a part of the cartridge - that coppery strip on the underside full of small holes. On the other hand hubby's Canon simply has ink cartridges that are no more than a tank in which to contain the ink - the print head is an entirely seperate component. Where you printhead is an integral part of the ink cartridge then it's important to realise that this is one of the components that is refurbished during the remanufacturing process with the remanufactured cartridges vs refilled ones.

LoobyLou
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I've left things to one side for months before painting, I thought that might cure the problem. It didn't matter what paper or card I used the ink would always bleed.
I dunno, it does seem to be a common problem which is how I picked up on using a fixative. Using that I don't have a problem with bleeding any more and I was just curious as to how you weren't getting the same effect.

Weird....... the fixative information was helpful in case I get any probs in the future. Thank you

Looby

LoobyLou
06-07-2009, 12:39 PM
On the topic of compatible ink cartridges - you need to be aware of the difference between "remanufactured" and "refilled". Those names are pretty self explanatory if you think about it. A remanufactured cartridge has been reconditioned in every aspect - a refilled one has simply been filled again with ink.

Make and model of printer is also relevant. To give you an example of what I mean - I have an Hewlett Packard inkjet and the cartridges for that are more than just ink tanks - the actual printhead is a part of the cartridge - that coppery strip on the underside full of small holes. On the other hand hubby's Canon simply has ink cartridges that are no more than a tank in which to contain the ink - the print head is an entirely seperate component. Where you printhead is an integral part of the ink cartridge then it's important to realise that this is one of the components that is refurbished during the remanufacturing process with the remanufactured cartridges vs refilled ones.

And then of course there are the brands of ink cartridge which are compatible, but neither remanufactured or refilled but simply a cheap version rip off filled with inferior cloggy ink and not much of it, but supporting the chip which they have ripped off from the original manufacturer. Don't get me wrong I completely understand why they do this as ink is so expensive from the original manufacturer, but whilst some stand up to the job well there are lots that are complete rubbish. After using up all the remaining genuine inks I had left one day trying to get a really bad compat cart to work I gave up and now stick to Epson's own ink.

Looby

Rentochops
06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Do you think that Cartridge World refills are ok?:hi:

angela
10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I have just got an order from INKcredible and they are brilliant, compatables yes, but excellent quality, price and service, mines an epson btw.

Rentochops
10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Tesco do genuine cartidges as well. My real Canon ones are £6 cheaper at Ts than in Cartridge World (and they always have them in stock which CW don't).

Sadly no Tesco in Jersey so have no choice:angry:

fabyon
10-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Do you have a Waitrose ?:hi:

In the past I used www.tonik.co.uk and they were good. I don't know about the price.

Rentochops
11-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Really? I thought Tescos was everywhere. Does this mean you actually have REAL shops?

I might emmigrate

real - but expensive shops!:blush:

budgie
11-07-2009, 08:56 AM

How strange, I am sure when I ordered cds from Tesco they came from Jersey!

Mothership
11-07-2009, 10:02 AM
How strange, I am sure when I ordered cds from Tesco they came from Jersey!

Don't most of the mail order CDs and DVDs come from the Channel Islands cos of the tax situation? This is what can make them so cheap. :movie:

Rentochops
11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't most of the mail order CDs and DVDs come from the Channel Islands cos of the tax situation? This is what can make them so cheap. :movie:

Yes there is a loop hole in the law which means items under £20 are VAT exempt if sent to the UK from Jersey - Marie can probably explain, I think it is called the 'fulfillment industry' and Play and Amazon have made use of if and Jersey mail have made a mint from it. Tesco online won't deliver to Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The loophole is now closed for new business as UK government basically threatened Jersey States to stop or else!

Sadly, some of the UK stores that we do have don't have to take the VAT off and instead charge us extra for shipping, eg M&S food has an extra 5% added!

I buy most stuff on-line as QVC for example take the VAT off! I know it is probably killing the Jersey shops, but to be honest, some have a monopoly and they won't even let Tesco in..now Woolies has gone (it was the most profitable one of all) - I have to order from Lakeland etc.. or else I get ripped off in local shops, if I can actually get what I want! Also local customer service is appalling.

Milk is nearly twice as expensive as in the UK and we have our own cows!

We do pay income tax and national insurance - it's not as high as in the UK - but the cost of living here is phenomenal.

Sorry don't wish to be an ungrate cos I choose to live and work in this beautiful island - but I get fed up of say BHS not taking off the VAT and not being able to afford to buy property. Rant over:blush: