PDA

View Full Version : Sewing needles

Waterlily
30-05-2020, 01:27 PM
I'm having trouble trying to sew some beads on my cross stitch, some of beads will let the needle I'm using through but others won't. I'm using the thinest needles I can find but can't remember what I've used before. Think I asked on here before and milliners needles comes to mind but not sure what 'size' I need. I didn't like the last ones too much because they were too long but worked well.

If I look hard enough I might be able to find them but can't be bothered. lol

Any help appreciated.

Jacksmissis
30-05-2020, 02:31 PM
I've a big selection of needles but none that are as fine as it sounds like you need, I reckon Roz might be your best bet - she usually pops in after tea.

Waterlily
30-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Thanks JM I've found some called beading needles. I'm not sure if the higher or lower nos are the thinest. I've ordered size 12 because I think they looked thinner than 10s but I'm probably wrong. They were still very long, much prefer shorter ones as I only need to put one bead on at a time. Long ones seem to get in the way for me lol.

Little Jan
30-05-2020, 03:12 PM
I always buy multi sized packs of needles Think last lot I got were a few pounds for 25 and use the smallest for beading
They are normal sized length needles
As they were cheap there is no sizes marked on the packet

Waterlily
30-05-2020, 03:31 PM
That's what I usually do Jan but none of them were thin enough. They go right up to the eye and that's it. Saying that I would say about half of the beads have gone over OK. You would think they'd all be the same wouldn't you!!!!!

RozMinis
30-05-2020, 07:14 PM
I tend to use the needles that come in the Mill Hill kits as they are especially thin, and made here in the UK by John James https://www.jjneedles.com/buy-needles/beading

Jane Greenoff uses their needles, but has them gold plated. I have tried what she calls beading needles, but have found they are too thick for most of the Mill Hill beads. I also find her needle more difficult to thread than the ones in the Mill Hill kits.

Mill Hill seed beads come in two sizes,the smallest size are petite beads, and believe me they are teeny, more hole than bead I reckon. It is rare that the needle supplied doesn't go through the hole. There is always one of course, but hey ho, as they give oodles in each kit I am not going to complain. Sometimes there is more than enough to do the design twice, though they have never included more than the required number of treasures! :(

Roz

RozMinis
30-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Forgot to say that size 12 is finer than the 10's. They also come in two different lengths.

Roz

Waterlily
30-05-2020, 08:08 PM
Thanks Roz.

Chalet School Fan
30-05-2020, 09:43 PM
I use the same needles as Roz when I am using seed beads - but the size of the hole in each bead does vary and they don't all slide down the needle. I find I prefer long needles because they make it easier to pick up individual beads.

Jacksmissis
31-05-2020, 01:34 PM
I got stocked up last time I went to Donny show with John James needles - hence why I have a boxful lol ! The lady was lovely and so helpful too.

RozMinis
31-05-2020, 07:14 PM
I use the same needles as Roz when I am using seed beads - but the size of the hole in each bead does vary and they don't all slide down the needle. I find I prefer long needles because they make it easier to pick up individual beads.

Somat to do with 'em being glass beads apparently. Don't have too much trouble with the Mill Hill beads. When I do it tends to be when I have had to pick up several different ones for a hanger, there is always one little horror, usually the second or third bead, that decided it will not go over the eye. I wonder why that happens???

Roz

Jacksmissis
01-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Tell you what ladies, I wouldn't want to be at the end of a production line for QC on the needles or the beads, bet they're a nightmare.

Waterlily
01-06-2020, 10:25 AM
Don't know what 'make' the beads are, they came with a Janlynn kit.

RozMinis
01-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Don't know what 'make' the beads are, they came with a Janlynn kit.

Probably not Mill Hill beads. The tiny ones really are tiny. and come in a mixed bag, so sorting is needed as some can look very much like another. Occasionally they come in two, or even three bags, but still need sorting before I use them. I do the same with threads as sometimes they can look similar.

I once bought a bookmark kit in Fun2Do in Carlisle. There were three shades of green for the shamrocks. Now I know the lighting wasn't really 'up to snuff' in that particular hotel (dump) but I will swear there were five shades of green. I gave up with it in the end, brought it home, and yes, there were only three shades. I keep meaning to work it again as I sent the original to a friend in Australia. It isn't as though I don't have enough threads and Aida band, I could start my own shop with the 'stuff' I have. ;)

Page five of the Country Sampler stitched book is now on my blog. Just page six to go, which is the one I have been dreading as it has a hemstitched square. After what happened last time I am going to do a practice piece (or three) before going live. :)

Roz

RozMinis
01-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Tell you what ladies, I wouldn't want to be at the end of a production line for QC on the needles or the beads, bet they're a nightmare.

Same with the threads. There is only so much that can be done by machine. I dare say the packs of beads wouldn't be too much of a problem, but when it comes to the kits, that is a whole different ball game. So many different coloured beads, several types, a positive nightmare I reckon.

Roz