PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Charge For A Commissioned Album?

Choppysocks
01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Someone saw an album that I completed for my mum last year and has commissioned me to make one for their wedding photos.

They want me to use Anna Griffin papers/album as that is what I did for the album they saw and really liked.

They are more than happy to pay whatever I feel I should charge. They are not short of a bob or two but I would not want to rip them off.

I know this is going to take many hours to complete as I did lots of paper pleating/weaving and decoupage etc... which they want me to replecate.

I have sold many handmade cards and have no trouble pricing those up, but for this I have no idea what to charge. Like many crafters you tend not to charge for your time and only charge to cover costs.

Any thoughts are appretiated. :flower:

Dips
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
How long does it take you to complete a page? You should charge for your time plus the cost of your materials.

CS - I'm going to PM you about what I charge for a Wedding Guest book if that would help.

Rentochops
01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree an hourly rate plus materials, I guess you could discuss the concept first which would minimise the design time, which actually could be more than the actual crafting.

Choppysocks
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks, thats a great idea, but I know that with some pages I have taken a good couple of hours with the paper pleating (all that measuring, scoring and folding and mitering!).

I'm worried if I did that that costs could spiral, if I charged £5 an hour, then a page alone could be £10 and with a couple of pounds of papers/embellies the whole album could be a lot.

I guess its that thing of charging for time again!

Rentochops
01-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks, thats a great idea, but I know that with some pages I have taken a good couple of hours with the paper pleating (all that measuring, scoring and folding and mitering!).

I'm worried if I did that that costs could spiral, if I charged £5 an hour, then a page alone could be £10 and with a couple of pounds of papers/embellies the whole album could be a lot.

I guess its that thing of charging for time again!

I had a quick look at the internet for similar and many charge around £100.

Winspiration
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
It sounds like you have someone who recognises the value of your time, Choppysocks, which is great, and definitely not always the case. As long as you make the likely costs quite clear at the outset then you both know where you stand :)

Also, better perhaps to err on the side of caution when estimating the costs at the outset, with the option to reduce the final bill if you find you are able to get through some of the pages more quickly, than to be in the position of underestimating the true cost, when it may be much more difficult to ask a higher price later.

Choppysocks
01-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I had a quick look at the internet for similar and many charge around £100.

Thanks, I wonder how many they sell for that price. The albums are really worth that much money when you know all the work that goes into them, you just wonder if a non crafter recognises that. I may have a browse around my self on the net.

fabyon
01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Don't sell yourself short beside these are hours in your life you could do something else with. Don't be shy in asking what you think it's fair. They can always say no. People will respect you more if you tell outright what the cost will be...take it or leave it.

Just tell them 100 (15-20 pages up to you to decide) plus material. If they start to bargain with you...leave it ! As they will complain all the way and they will drive you barmy.

Choppysocks
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you for all your advice. It does seem that people charge more than I would have done, but its true, I prob am selling myself short given the time involved. I'm sure she will accept what I decide to charge, she is not a paper crafter (hence asking me to do an album for her! LOL) but she is an embroiderer (is that a word) so does know about the care that goes into the work.

sheilaj
02-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Well if you were doingone page to frame and put onthe wall, how much would you charge?my guess fir an intricate one would be about 20 quid plus materials which is probably about 4 quidan hour which is les than minimumwage...sorry about the typos,imonaniphone and its early!!

sheilaj
02-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Okay I am back on a computer and a bit more awake now. Is this a business proposition or a favour? Will you be bothered if they say no that's too much money? £100 for a 20 page album gives you £5 per hour assuming an hour per page. From what you are saying, some (Most?) pages will take you longer than an hour which means that you would be doing it for under mimimum wage, maybe well under. Its up to you but don't sell yourself short and do make sure before you set the price that its reasonable or that you have decided that its falls into the favour for a friend category and if this is the case make it clear to them that you are doing it on that basis and below an economic cost in case it snowballs!

jcrulesfootball
02-08-2009, 09:19 AM
also depending what you use the costs for embellishments ect for anna griffin would be a fair bit alone (but worth every penny!!)
wow im not surprise they want you to do one if you can do all the pleating and wonderfull things on the design sheets.

jcrulesfootball
02-08-2009, 09:19 AM
ps compare it too what a nice normal wedding album would cost too you know the ones people normally get the photographers to do.

Choppysocks
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Okay I am back on a computer and a bit more awake now. Is this a business proposition or a favour? Will you be bothered if they say no that's too much money? £100 for a 20 page album gives you £5 per hour assuming an hour per page. From what you are saying, some (Most?) pages will take you longer than an hour which means that you would be doing it for under mimimum wage, maybe well under. Its up to you but don't sell yourself short and do make sure before you set the price that its reasonable or that you have decided that its falls into the favour for a friend category and if this is the case make it clear to them that you are doing it on that basis and below an economic cost in case it snowballs!

Its kinda both, I know she would pay the going rate but she is a relative (not one I see very much) so I dont want to rip her off either! She has tons of friends and I can see her telling them all as she thinks I should be making some money from my craft work (but we all know how hard that is!).

also depending what you use the costs for embellishments ect for anna griffin would be a fair bit alone (but worth every penny!!)
wow im not surprise they want you to do one if you can do all the pleating and wonderfull things on the design sheets.

Yes you need the patience of a saint for Annas stuff, but lovely when done! LOL

ps compare it too what a nice normal wedding album would cost too you know the ones people normally get the photographers to do.

They can be really expensive cant they, I remember my wedding album and thinking that it was a lot of money for something that really only has photos stuck in!

sheilaj
02-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Well I don't think that a fair commercial rate would be a rip off but in that case, why don't you work out a fair commercial rate based on the cost of materials (and photo prep if they aren't going to come to you ready to mount) plus what each page would take you in time multiplied by a fair commercial hourly rate then sit down with her and explain to her what the real cost would be. If you want to you could offer her a family discount, making clear that this would only be for her OR making clear that doing the album is a one off thing and you don't want to make a business of it.
I suspect that the people who do make a business of it (and Dips would be able to tell you more) do things in a way that is more mass produced thus saving time and being able to reduce cost to customer.

lolathelamb
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I am going to be offering albums when I finally get it all together to start trading (am on my way) and intend no less than £100 for a 12"x12" album on the grounds that if that is too much (given all the costs involved and my time) then, fine, I don't do it and someone else can!

You have to be tough although, if it is someone you know, there is always the option of teaching them to make their own album and offering the 'lessons' at a certain rate so they can use your tools etc - it would still probably come to a large figure and they would see why!

Edit: I say "am on my way to trading" because I intend to start my business the official way, not "on the side" - just to make sure anyone interested realises the true position! Because I have MS, it is not yet certain I can do this so all your support and advice will be very welcome! I will be availing myself of all that the officials can offer but it won't be as business-specific as hearing from true crafters!

But for now, we're helping Choppysocks!

blarf
02-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow Choppysocks, I've never charged for an album but I'm not sure anyone would be prepared to pay what I would charge. It depends on the number of LOs of course but so much time goes into an album on top of the materials (not just "doing" time but "thinking" time too). I think £100 + materials is the minimum provided there are more than 10 LOs. And don't forget to warn them that the album alone can be £25-30.

fabyon
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Vince made a fabulous wedding album for our friend Vivi but it was our wedding gift to her. She said it was the best gift she's ever had. Had he charged her if she asked it outside that occasion I really cringe at the thought how much it would have cost.

turquoise
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
The trouble with scrapbooking is that the cost involved of papers etc and it doesnt come cheap I have paid over £2 for one paper it was a beautiful velvet brocade and abosolutly stunning but a one off. It is a dilema what to charge to reflect what the time is and what people are willing to pay. If a photographer charges for an album it costs an arm and a leg and people pay up without a backward glance. I would let them know the costs of the items and then discuss a flat rate on what to charge for your time. I think £100 plus materials is a reasonable amount and I am sure they would pay for it no problem after all it is a keepsake that will be handed down and it sentimental value will be priceless

lolathelamb
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
The trouble with scrapbooking is that the cost involved of papers etc and it doesnt come cheap I have paid over £2 for one paper it was a beautiful velvet brocade and abosolutly stunning but a one off. It is a dilema what to charge to reflect what the time is and what people are willing to pay. If a photographer charges for an album it costs an arm and a leg and people pay up without a backward glance. I would let them know the costs of the items and then discuss a flat rate on what to charge for your time. I think £100 plus materials is a reasonable amount and I am sure they would pay for it no problem after all it is a keepsake that will be handed down and it sentimental value will be pricelessThe cost of a photographer's wedding album is exactly what I have in mind as a market comparison - as you say, no one really questions it!