PDA

View Full Version : anyone got an epson px700w?

sugarplum
27-08-2009, 05:16 PM
OH is looking to buy a new printer and is looking at this one as it will print cd.dvds which is what he wants but I want to know if its good for my crafty needs. Our current Epson is rubbish at accepting anything other than paper you really have to coax it the take card so dont want another epson if I am going to have the same problem

Phree
27-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi Sugarplum - some discussion on another group has centred around printers for the last day or two - and someone who uses printers for her business has been posting on Epsons - here is some of what she says :

"Epsons top loading means I can even bang 350gsm through - which I have done
frequently !!"

In that bit she is referring to the paper path - the route that the paper or card takes through your printer. Input from the back/top output from the front means a straighter paper path - no need to bend thick card through a complete U-turn if see what I mean. Printers that pull paper in from a tray on the front and output it to the front also have to bend the paper right back on itself as it follows the path through the printer.

Another quote from the same person :

"Epsons love them - used them for at least 12 years, currently I have R300, R320,
RX680-all in one and my old SC880"

Hope this helps - Epson do tend to be thought of very highly as good printers - just make sure the model your hubby is looking at has a straight thru paper path.

Additonally look at running cost for inks - you save money if you can buy a printer that takes seperate colour ink cartridges rather than the tri-colour ink carts - with those you often end up tossing out a fair bit of ink because only 1 colour has run out but without that colour you can't print the colours properly.

Edit - an after thought on paper paths - my new Canon has capability to load paper both in a cassette at the the front and also on tray at the back - so do check - it may initially look like the printer loads only on one side as a secondary tray may be folded down inside the display model and not apparent at first glance, but it could have a dual paper path.

LoobyLou
27-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I am another Epson fan. I have had one since my first ever printer which was a Lexmark, and my word was it ever sh..... well you get my meaning. Chewed up paper in huge chunks and jammed almost every time I used it. I was terrified to move away from it or I would hear it's machinations as it ground up yet another printed page. I then got an Epson and would not move from the brand now.

I think you might just be unlucky with the one you have. My Neighbour has used an Epson that prints cds for ages, sorry don't recall the model which would no doubt be discontinued now anyway, and he is more than happy with it.

Looby

Looby

Alice3_2009
27-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I've got an all in one which I've had for two years plus and the only thing it does to irritate is print half a picture, lengthways!

I can use 240gsm card and it prints on acetate but then I have to stand it on the floor and drop the acetate in... but the prints look great!

tru-ella
27-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I have an epson, wish I could get it to feed the paper in straight, all my printed papers come out wonky

don't let me put you off though, probably something stupid that I am doing

LoobyLou
28-08-2009, 07:10 AM
I have an epson, wish I could get it to feed the paper in straight, all my printed papers come out wonky

don't let me put you off though, probably something stupid that I am doing

There is a little tab type button thingy (sorry ME moment cant thing of the correct flippin word) on the back where the paper sits. You need to push it in or down and then slide it along to the edge of the paper, that way the paper will be in straight and will go through straight............. Oh yeah that word is it slider?

Gawd I hate ME.

Looby

sugarplum
28-08-2009, 07:19 AM
We already have an Epson (different model) but it will not take card stock and is very tempermental about special papers you really have to hand feed it to get it to go through

dantes dawn
29-08-2009, 06:02 PM
We already have an Epson (different model) but it will not take card stock and is very tempermental about special papers you really have to hand feed it to get it to go through

Me too. I had the Epson s200, I think that's right, and it would even jam up on 80gsm!!! It bit the dust the other day and I got a HP all in one. Seems to handle all that I've given it. It will print up to 300gsm.

sugarplum
29-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Just to update OH bought today He went for a different epson in the end (typical) but thanks for the advise all the same