PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to CD's

sheilaj
30-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Has anyone who buys the paper and topper type CD's thought about spending their dosh on an image manipulation software program and downloads instead?
I guess if you want the specific images, there is no way around it, but there are LOADS of free and cheap downloads out there. Once you have got cropping, resizing and recolouring nailed (really easy honest) then you can do what you like. Another good cheapo program for its images is print artist...thousands of them all copyright free.

I just wondered why the CD's are so popular when IMHO, they are a bit limited?? Or am i missing something?

budgie
30-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I like the cds. Some of them you can't do much to change them within the program it comes with, but a lot of them you can take into your own graphics package and change them, or even easier, take them into my craft studio, which i find really easy to use. I have taken images into MCS from other cds, as I find the quality of the printout is better when i have done that rather than printing direct from some cds. Other cds print out in excellent quality. I like to be able to change things, to create my own backgrounds etc.

I do occassionally look for specific images on the internet if i haven't got just what I want, but I find it very time consuming, and I would rather be crafting than searching for images. A lot of times when I find images that I would like to use, they have warnings about copyright, so I don't bother. I know a lot of people would probably not mind searching for their images, but I am lazy and I prefer someone else to do it for me!

fabyon
30-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I have my own image manipulation software: Vince 1.0 apparently it's still in beta but the new version 1.1 should be out soon ! LOL

sheilaj
30-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I have my own image manipulation software: Vince 1.0 apparently it's still in beta but the new version 1.1 should be out soon ! LOL

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Phree
30-08-2009, 02:38 PM
LOL @ Vince v1.0! Fab how come you are the only person working as a de-bugger on that programme.... tis taking far to long for the beta testing to complete:p

fabyon
30-08-2009, 02:41 PM
LOL @ Vince v1.0! Fab how come you are the only person working as a de-bugger on that programme.... tis taking far to long for the beta testing to complete:p

I won't rest until all the bugs are out in the open ! :grin:

Phree
30-08-2009, 02:42 PM
.... and now for the serious reply ...... CD's are a fast click n print fix. Most folks don't have the desire and often don't have the time to put themselves through the steep learning curve for programmes such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc.

sheilaj
30-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I know about the steep curve, but its like any other crafting activity IMO, mastering the technique is worth it!

Alice3_2009
07-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I vote you PSP Queen Sheila!

Pls give us tips on how to use it!

I check out the tuts on the web, bought PSP for dummies but they never seem to tell you how to finish it off.

It all melds into Charlie Brown's teacher...Blah,blah,blah

LoobyLou
07-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I use PhotoImpact and love it. Took me a while to work it out, but it's great. There is still so much more to the program that I have yet to discover.

Lin

sheilaj
07-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I vote you PSP Queen Sheila!

Pls give us tips on how to use it!

I check out the tuts on the web, bought PSP for dummies but they never seem to tell you how to finish it off.

It all melds into Charlie Brown's teacher...Blah,blah,blah

well I am not all knowing but happy to help if I can, just post what you want to know. I bought a video e book from Scrapgirls which was great for the basics, also a book called Paintshop pro photo XI for photographers by a guy called McMahon which is really good for an overview.

Alice3_2009
07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
You may be sorry!:cheeky:

I've got PSPX2. Have tried out all the tanning, white teeth, thinify stuff (can only look thin with a peanut head). Have made patterns for background papers, but even with background remover I can't do it... or I learn something, then next time forget what I did.

I did use some alphabet templates and colour them in with the paint fill, so hope I can use this with "Snowflakes" as I'm rubbish at colouring.

Perhaps Graham might let us have a section for this?

sheilaj
07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
that would be good!