PDA

View Full Version : Help with ink pads

iggy
23-09-2009, 11:30 AM
please please can anyone point me in the direction of some RAINBOW Ranger Adirondack DYE Ink Pad ......
there are loads of single colours on a certain auction site......hoping all you talented stampers out there know of anyone /some......
many thanks if you can

just an add on.......HSN there are loads of demos on you tube [ i should say here that i look at donna dewberry & tole type painting BUT there are loads on other subjects ]...this is cos i read the post with a newbie LL though not loobie.....& there was talk of QVC.com dropping out the craft market...it was whilst watching the donna demos on YT that i wondered how on earth was qvc usa going to compete with that.......

Phree
23-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Ranger no longer do the Adirondack Dye Ink pads - or at least they have discontinued the majority of the colourways. There used to be about 9 in the range and now it's pretty much impossible to find any except 3 or 4 of them. The ones you may be able to buy still are Woodland, Cabin Fever, Wild Flower and Stained Glass. However I have been told Ranger totally discontinued the whole line - so it may be that the remaining stocks of even those 4 are gone now.

As an alternative you could try the Big N Juicy pads. These are also made by Ranger and I understand that the colours in them do include colours from the Adirondack Dye Ink Range.

Hmm ok I paused while typing this - I own all but 1 of the 9 colourways of Adirondack Rainbow Pad - and I had given up on ever finding Winter Sky - but i just did and have ordered it from here :

http://craftunlimited.co.uk/

That company also has LIMITED stock of Stained Glass and Noel. The web site stock info may be out of date cuz I got that info on the phone today, I have learned in the past with these ink pads that it pays to phone and check if the stock is REALLY there before you order!

I can recommend all 3 of those colourways- Stained Glass is devine and possibly my favorite of the Rainbow Pads.

Also try CuddlyBuddly - http://cuddlybuddly.com/

Other than that it's kinda looking like stock in the UK has pretty much disappeared now.

An alternate are the Kaliedacolor ink pads by Tsukineko - I notice Clarity stamp are stocking these now as well as the Ranger Big N Juicy pads.

http://shop.claritystamp.co.uk/inkpads-rainbow-pads-c-127_132_133.html

iggy
23-09-2009, 01:14 PM
ive just found a USED one of stained glass' from the states & as she had 2 more single coloured ones i bought those' as well as she wasnt expensive on the shipping...will have a look at the ones youve told me about.......MANY THANKS YET AGAIN
ive seen the tsukineko ones & ummed & arrhhed about them...they read OK BUT i do tend to want all the colours..i could set up a craft shop all on my own..
i have a big n jiucy & made a right pills of using it.......i had lines across [ also so does barbara on dvd 3.....]....need a calm hour or two to play

Phree
23-09-2009, 01:23 PM
A word of warning about the Ranger pads - especially with regard to buying used ones.

Storage matters - the pads MUST be stored flat and the right way up. If they are stored upside down, or tucked tucked down the side of a box or draw on their edge (like standing a book on a shelf) the colours will bleed together and you loose the integrity of the colour bands. Another thing which will cause the colours to bleed together into one murky colour is misusing the pad - never roll a brayer from one colour band into the next - alwasy go across the pad keeping the integrity of the colour bands, likewise with a stamp - be careful how you ink the stamp so as to cause as little cross contamination of the colour bands as you can.

The reason I say this is because I once bought a couple of used Big N Juicy pads on e-bay - they turned up with pleny if ink still in them - very juicy indeed - but the colours had bled together badly - my guess the seller had stored them wrongly as she had claimed to have not used them much. In fairness she was willing to agree that the pads were not fit for use and refund so I have no complaint unless you want to count the disappointment of thinking I had nabbed a couple of inkpads at a bargain price only to find out that they were useless.

iggy
23-09-2009, 03:58 PM
phree
thanks for the warning...........any chance of a how to on brayering........[ i did know about the tilting the pads.......i tend to sit my flat till they start to fade then store them upside down........i am talking though about the usual stazon ^ versamark pads etc......many thanks again,.
i will let you know once they arrive if they are any good [ she cant help the way they are kept while shipping.........BUT i have said i know they are used BUT still in USEFUL condition........

Phree
23-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Brayering and Kaleidacolor ink pads

Brayering is perhaps best learned by watching, can you watch Create and Craft on Sky, or Freeview? And are you around on week day mornings? If so then Barbara Gray of Clarity stamp is the person to watch. Unfortunately at the moment her shows are usually on weekdays in the mornings, so if you have a Monday to Friday full time job you would need to record them if you can. Next show is due on the 5th of October (a Monday). and will probably have a title like "Stamping with Clarity". If you cannot watch or record for later viewing Barbara's shows then the I suggest investing in her first DVD. It can be bought directly from Barbara on her web site.

http://www.claritystamp.co.uk/introduction.php

If you have specific questions or can describe specific problems you get I can do my best to reply - but the typed word is not always clear.

Regarding the Kaleidacolor pads - I have a large collection of those too ..... about 14 I think at the last count - and they are good too. On the right card the ink does blend and you loose any lines from the fact that the colour bands are on seperate bits of felt. Hope this helps.

iggy
23-09-2009, 08:50 PM
phree
nope not stuck for mornings only the early ones as i need to get my old bones to move....i only do tuesday lunchtimes as a volunteer.....so i will & have watched her [ ive spent a small fortune since i stumbled across her on the august show......we have sky but not sky + [ that will HOPEFULLY come after the builders have left ]..

i have bought all 3 of the DVS full price & spitting that they were £30 for 3 at the shows.......me thinks a trip to NEC will be in order in Nov...
my 1st go at the speedball was tuesday & not in ideal circumstances...so will have a play on different paper /cardstock.....cheers again

budgie
24-09-2009, 07:52 AM
phree
nope not stuck for mornings only the early ones as i need to get my old bones to move....i only do tuesday lunchtimes as a volunteer.....so i will & have watched her [ ive spent a small fortune since i stumbled across her on the august show......we have sky but not sky + [ that will HOPEFULLY come after the builders have left ]..

i have bought all 3 of the DVS full price & spitting that they were £30 for 3 at the shows.......me thinks a trip to NEC will be in order in Nov...
my 1st go at the speedball was tuesday & not in ideal circumstances...so will have a play on different paper /cardstock.....cheers again

Hi iggylover

I am new to using a brayer too, and my first attempts were awful. Keep practicing and watching Barbara on the videos, and have a go at following what she is doing. Mine has improved, but not any where near Barbaras (or Phrees) standard! I have managed to produce a picture or two that although not perfect, I am not consigning to the bin! I am going to keep them to see how much I can improve. One of them is shown in another thread,
http://www.crafttelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3659

I did this after just a few hours practice, (and a lot of paper and card in the bin!). I know it is far from perfect, but then I haven't had years of experience like Barbara, nor am I in any way arty! If I could be just half as good as BG then I would be very happy!:flower:

iggy
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi iggylover

]

I did this after just a few hours practice, (and a lot of paper and card in the bin!). I know it is far from perfect, but then I haven't had years of experience like Barbara, nor am I in any way arty! If I could be just half as good as BG then I would be very happy!:flower:

how fabulous i MUST get my finger out & practice loads......
just a thought thoug about the 'postcards' that barbara uses.....IF you buy them from michael bossom of encaustic art [ barbara often on the DVD's mentions the encaustic bit ]...its much much cheaper than CS or C&C......

budgie
02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Will have to look out for them!

iggy
02-10-2009, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Phree;59289]A word of warning about the Ranger pads - especially with regard to buying used ones.

Storage matters - the pads MUST be stored flat and the right way up. If they are stored upside down, or tucked tucked down the side of a box or draw on their edge (like standing a book on a shelf) the colours will bleed together and you loose the integrity of the colour bands. Another thing which will cause the colours to bleed together into one murky colour is misusing the pad - never roll a brayer from one colour band into the next - alwasy go across the pad keeping the integrity of the colour bands, likewise with a stamp - be careful how you ink the stamp so as to cause as little cross contamination of the colour bands as you can.

phree..........1st it was cabin fever that i bought that was USED....the other 2 are also used & they are cranberry & bottle........you were RIGHT,the cabin fever is all shades of brown nice & juicy BUT useless as a multi colour.....ive mailed her & she says she will refund price + % shipping....ive declined the % shipping as it was very fair......the other is the stained glass is new........thought i would give you an update as youve been so kind.....