PDA

View Full Version : A (probably silly) question...

sillysausage
24-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi everybody!

I am new to the forum, although I have been around the shoppingtelly forum for a long while, and indeed there are some names here I recognise :hi:.
I am going to take up scrapbooking, and I am in the process of shopping for all the bits I need (isn't that the best bit?). I also got a couple of scrabooking books out of the library, but I am stuck with one doubt...

One of the books says that most scrapbookers (or scrappers? I clearly still have to pick up the jargon) use thinner patterned papers as their page backgrounds, and thicker paper or cardstock for matting and embellishing. Now, this seems counterintuitive to me. I would have thought it would be the other way round, as a cardstock background would make for a more solid scrapbook page, right?
I had a look at tutorials availble on youtube which seem to confirm my initial thought. So, I'm completely confused now: which one it is? I got this kit (http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.588590) from hobbycraft, so will I be able to use the block colour papers as background, or are they too thin?

I hope one of you serious scrapbookers will be able to enlighten me, and I look forward to getting to know you all.:flower:

Rentochops
24-11-2009, 10:08 PM
oo hello Sillysasuage - I know you from st.com - who could forget a fab name like that LOL, so welcome over here.

Not a scrapper I'm afraid, but I don't think the paper has to be too thick for scrapbooking as the finished page ends up in a protective cover whereas cars have to stand up. I think for all craft you should use the best quality paper for the job - if I did scrap I would use K&Co and DCWV, but it doesn't have to be very thick.

This kit looks great to start off with and certainly the background papers should be fine. I note there are chipboard embellies in there, so I guess if the paper is too thin they might drag the paper down, but the paper in this kit should be fit for backgrounds.

Have a good Google cos there are loads of US sites which can help you for example: http://scrapbooking.about.com/

...and no it isn't a silly question LOL

sillysausage
24-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Thank you so much Rentochops, I sure remember you too!:hi: I am so thrilled we can still thank people here! LOL
Thanks for the info. Off to check out that web site...:up:

fabyon
24-11-2009, 10:15 PM
It really doesn't matter much as the page ends up being protected by the toploading plastic cover. It's true though that if you use a very flimsy paper for the background and you put lots of embellishments then it will look precarious. So judge it accordingly to your page scheme as using too much heavy cardstock can make it too heavy too ! Also a tip is to leave your scrapbook always standing like a book so that the embellishments don't dent the other pages. (which I found out from trial and error ! wink) LOL

Welcome to CraftTelly ! :)

budgie
25-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum sillysausage!

craftycat
25-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi silly sausage. As the others have said, a lightweight backing paper doesn't matter as the whole thing is held together by the plastic pocket. Advantage of a lightweight layer is that you can do a layout on both sides of each pocket more easily. I tend not to do bulky embellishments as this can make it harder to do the "both sides" thing!!!!

scrappin'granny
25-11-2009, 07:19 PM
If you think your page is a bit flimsy slide in or attatch it to the white paper that usually comes in you page protector, but usually there's no need as by the time you've got another page it the protector it's quite firm IYSWIM

sheilaj
25-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Mmmm going to ever so slightly disagree here. If you use really thin paper then the page will flop around in the page protector. You don't need to use actual card but IMHO the paper does need to be stiffish if you are doing 12x12. At smaller sizes then even thin paper may have enough body, but i reckon that if you are doing a big page then the base should have at least as much body as cartridge paper.

Pam
25-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi sillysausage and welcome to the forum.

I'm Waterlily on shoppingtelly.

sillysausage
25-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all your replies guys, I am really excited and rearing to go now!
I have done some online shopping at a web site called http://wigan-craft-supplies.com/index.aspx which seemed to have good value stuff and got a K&Co baby album kit and papers.

I think I'll have to have a play with different papers and get a feel for the different weights. So far I have only looked at the papers in the one kit I have bought yet, so I don't really have a clear idea of the full range of alternative papers and how they might work as a background. I imagine a certain degree of trial and error is inevitable, and I'm actually looking forward to it: it's going to be fun learning by making.

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome, I see this really is ST's sister forum, same friendly environment, love it already!!:heart:

Ribbons
25-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Silly Sausage, you managed to get on here then!

I remember that was the first thing I thought about when I started scrapbooking, but found the page protectors kept everything in place and strengthened the page. I like using DCWV papers and find the pads useful for the variety of designs but the paper quality is perfect for scrapbooking, as is K & Co as ROC said. I can see you are going to enjoy this hobby, but beware, collecting beautiful papers can become compulsive :D

Millburn
25-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I scrapbook a wee bit; I have to say I use good quality paper of a decent weight, across the board; but I shrink at the idea of using "light-weight" paper background and "heavy" card for the matting :confused2:

The page protectors help oddles :) and as ribbons says, collecting papers becomes very addictive

:wave: btw

sillysausage
25-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Silly Sausage, you managed to get on here then!

I remember that was the first thing I thought about when I started scrapbooking, but found the page protectors kept everything in place and strengthened the page. I like using DCWV papers and find the pads useful for the variety of designs but the paper quality is perfect for scrapbooking, as is K & Co as ROC said. I can see you are going to enjoy this hobby, but beware, collecting beautiful papers can become compulsive :D

Yes, I'm here Ribbons!! Oh, I'm getting the collecting/hoarding bug already, I think. I got a lovely set of ribbons from QVC last clicks as I thought they would be perfect for a baby scrapbook and they arrived this morning; when I saw them, my first thought was that they were beautiful and that I couldn't possibly use them, they're just too pretty to look at as they are!!!

Ribbons
26-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh dear, it sounds as if you have caught the bug already, there probably is no hope for you now.......:wink:

Wellington
26-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Oops SillySausage - just wait till you get to the paper stroking stage LOL You make every excuse under the sun as to why you won't be cutting into a paper yet. Usually you decide it'll be for a very special occasion for a very special person. Watch out for the pigs flying by your window at this point :D

And then there's the day when you just say 's*d it' & go for it. It's almost liberating, once you've got past the physical pain of using/cutting lush papers that is :cheeky:

Beverley
26-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Sillysausage (love your name:giggle:)
I honestly don't think there is a wrong or right way to scrapbook, it is all dependent on how you store your pages really. If you have them out on show (I have some round the house and in the studio on little easels) then they probably do need to be on heavier card/paper, but for those in albums it is less important.
Have you started collecting all the embellishments too?! I love buying ribbons, buttons and bits and bobs -and as for American Crafts Thickers stickers, I could probably open up a shop!

craftycat
27-11-2009, 07:27 AM
been thinking about this one. I do often use the flimsy paper that comes with the album, but as it is all covered with layers of fancier paper/card I suppose it is really only there to hold stuff together. So, the strength copes from the pretty, heavier card that is part of the actual design.

I really must get some more scrapbooking done. I have three scrap books on the go. One about my cats, one for my son's wedding and one with Tarot card designs (only done one page in that so far) Trouble is that stuff like Christmas card making gets in the way!