PDA

View Full Version : Christening gown...

Craftyktee
08-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I was thinking of making a baby Christening Gown for someone; I have not mentioned it to them yet as I want to be sure I can. Anyone ever made one? Any advice would be grateful. I promise If I manage it I will post a pick. I have until the summer to complete. I would also like to get steered in the right direction for a simple pattern for one. Thanks... :)

budgie
08-01-2010, 06:14 PM
How spooky. I was just thinking about my mums christening gown! It was hand sewn by my grandmother 85 years ago. I have it wrapped in tissue paper upstairs. I was wondering whether to keep it when I move, or donate it to a museum where other people can see it. It is very delicate. I am having to get rid of a lot of stuff at the moment, before I move into sheltered accommodation. Couldn't bring myself to give it to charity shop. They might just think it is some old thing and chuck it away!

Craftyktee
08-01-2010, 06:34 PM
How spooky. I was just thinking about my mums christening gown! It was hand sewn by my grandmother 85 years ago. I have it wrapped in tissue paper upstairs. I was wondering whether to keep it when I move, or donate it to a museum where other people can see it. It is very delicate. I am having to get rid of a lot of stuff at the moment, before I move into sheltered accommodation. Couldn't bring myself to give it to charity shop. They might just think it is some old thing and chuck it away!

I would go for the Museum for two reasons: wouldn't it be nice to let others see your Grandmother's hard work and the Museum would take good care if it. (and insure it I would imagine.) Great of you to think of giving it away; it must mean so much to you...

budgie
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
It does, but it seems such a shame for it never to be seen. I only occassionaly get it out, and I would hate to think of it been chucked out when I pop my clogs!

I also have a shawl, that belonged to my great grandmother. (not a baby one). I might keep that though to keep myself warm when I am an old biddy!

Craftyktee
09-01-2010, 12:00 AM
It does, but it seems such a shame for it never to be seen. I only occassionaly get it out, and I would hate to think of it been chucked out when I pop my clogs!

I also have a shawl, that belonged to my great grandmother. (not a baby one). I might keep that though to keep myself warm when I am an old biddy!

I would get the shawl out now Budgie; it's sooooo cold!!!:eek:

budgie
09-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I don't feel cold at all. I am sat here with just a t shirt on! Even at night I am laying on top of the bedclothes half the time! I am not normally like this, I am usually frozen, so can only think it must be something to do with my medication!

Lioness
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I made a gown for my neice - well actually more a 'long coat' as she did have another dress underneath, back in '98 or '99 using a Simplicity pattern no. 7488. I was given a piece of raw silk material to use and just added some lace around the edges. There are 6 options for the neckline so you can choose your own look. I don't think it was too difficult to do.

There is a picture of the pattern here (http://www.tymbercreekfabrics.com/popup_image_pid-1932.html)

Alice3_2009
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Only crocheted, with matching long 'coat' and bonnet which was for my daughter .

Craftyktee
09-01-2010, 07:31 PM
I made a gown for my neice - well actually more a 'long coat' as she did have another dress underneath, back in '98 or '99 using a Simplicity pattern no. 7488. I was given a piece of raw silk material to use and just added some lace around the edges. There are 6 options for the neckline so you can choose your own look. I don't think it was too difficult to do.

There is a picture of the pattern here (http://www.tymbercreekfabrics.com/popup_image_pid-1932.html)

Thanks. I will have a closer look at that patern Lioness, it looks good. I'm confident I can go ahead with this project...

Purplepig
09-01-2010, 11:59 PM

oh that looks lovely! hope you managed to make one CKT what a lovely surprise it would be :)

Little Jan
11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
about 15 years ago (omg is it that long)My best mate rang to ask if I could run up a gown for her sons Christning.. Now if she had been local it would not been such a problem, but she lived in Lytham St Annes, so measurements were exchange many times , she will not be offended by this but she was a little ditzey and anything to do with craft sewing ect was way over her head, she sent me the train from her wedding dress which was ivory taffitta and with the help of a neighbours baby as a model. I made my patteren, all I did was cut out a T shape to start with then I cut in the neck with at the back added poppers for easy dressing added loose elastic to the sleeve part, then hand embroidered the yolk and hem, she was very pleased and used it for her second son and its been passed down ever since. What I thought was going to be hard and daunting turned out easy as with a baby measurements don't to be too exact.Only thing to remember is babies grow quick so dont make it till near the christning
Good luck and don't forget to show us the pictures of the finished item.

Craftyktee
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
about 15 years ago (omg is it that long)My best mate rang to ask if I could run up a gown for her sons Christning.. Now if she had been local it would not been such a problem, but she lived in Lytham St Annes, so measurements were exchange many times , she will not be offended by this but she was a little ditzey and anything to do with craft sewing ect was way over her head, she sent me the train from her wedding dress which was ivory taffitta and with the help of a neighbours baby as a model. I made my patteren, all I did was cut out a T shape to start with then I cut in the neck with at the back added poppers for easy dressing added loose elastic to the sleeve part, then hand embroidered the yolk and hem, she was very pleased and used it for her second son and its been passed down ever since. What I thought was going to be hard and daunting turned out easy as with a baby measurements don't to be too exact.Only thing to remember is babies grow quick so dont make it till near the christning
Good luck and don't forget to show us the pictures of the finished item.

Told hubby over the weekend and he thought maybe they would have their own or want to buy one. Surprisingly when I told him I'm just going to make it anyway he was OK with the idea :eek: If it's not too bad I could always sell it or give it away. Yes LJ, I thought the measurements would not have to be too perfect; better a wee bit big than too small I suppose. When I get the spare cash I'm going for it. Only thing is the couple I have in mind visit often so I will have to be careful I'm not working on it when they pop in :cool:

Little Jan
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
would be a lovey supprise, but I would test the water first , as I know my mates Mother was quite put out that she could not buy the christening gown,also when my daughter was Christened, although I had already told family I was getting the outfit and as it was a winter Christening I got a Practical yet pretty warm dress and leggings sort of outfit, MIL turned up on the day with this hidious over the top lace and ribbons gown, with a marobau feather trimmed hat and was put out that I did not put it on Claire. I explained that I had already said I was buying the outfit and that my Mum was happy with that so no way was I now going to upset my Mum buy using her outfit LOL.Never did find out where she managed to get the outfit from or what happened to it LOL

Shepherdess
04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I made the Christening gowns for both of my children, this was 32 and 34 years ago and finances didn't run to a sewing machine, so I hand stitched them, I used a normal baby dress pattern but extended the skirt part, after I'd made the dresses I stitched lace on the bodice and threaded velvet ribbon through the lace, the finished dresses were lovely, sadly I have no idea where they are now, they seem to have disappeared, but as neither of my children are likely to have children themselves then there is never likely to be anyone to pass them on to.