PDA

View Full Version : Stamping onto Glossy Card

Anne
27-08-2008, 01:45 PM
HELP!!!! Please!!!!

I'm trying to stamp an image onto glossy card and it's not coming out as well as I would like it to. I've tried using both Brilliance ink and Stazon but neither are giving me a perfect result. The main issue is with a fairly large flat area on the stamp and it's coming out all blotchy. I've also tried using my anti-static bag on the card prior to stamping but that didn't help either.

If anyone has any ideas they would be gratefully received.

Phree
27-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds to me like you are not getting even coverage of the ink onto your stamp before stamping. I find large solids can be tricky to ink up. Have you tried applying the ink to the stamp with a brayer- that may give you a more even coverage of ink on your stamp.

janny
27-08-2008, 02:22 PM
is it a new stamp your using

Pam
27-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Can't help I'm afraid Anne. I recently had the same problem on acetate with one particular stamp. Gave up in the end!

Anne
27-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Sounds to me like you are not getting even coverage of the ink onto your stamp before stamping. I find large solids can be tricky to ink up. Have you tried applying the ink to the stamp with a brayer- that may give you a more even coverage of ink on your stamp.

Thanks Phree. I don't own a brayer but I might have to get myself one if I can't crack it any other way.

is it a new stamp your using

Hi Janny. It was new when I started, but I've had so many attempts with it I wouldn't really call it new any more! And it's been cleaned a couple of times throughout the process when I've changed to a different ink.

Anne
27-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Can't help I'm afraid Anne. I recently had the same problem on acetate with one particular stamp. Gave up in the end!

I don't like the sound of the "giving up" option. I want to crack this! :D

Phree
27-08-2008, 02:31 PM
OMG....... do you remember the saga of RW with that pretty vintage photo of a little girl? Took her a long time to crack that stamp Anne....hope we are not heading for another marathon ;)

PS if you decide to fork out for a brayer....don't buy a cheapie.... Speedball are prolly the best.

Anne
27-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info Phree. Erm, not sure how to phrase this next Q, but would you recommend soft or hard? :eek:

Pam
27-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't like the sound of the "giving up" option. I want to crack this! :D

lol That's not like me either I usually persevere!:o I ended up stamping on card and and sticking that to the acetate:rolleyes:. It was my Aug swap to Marzipan.

janny
27-08-2008, 02:40 PM
on all new stamps i get some heavy duty tape and press it on and off the stamp about 20 times before i use it, it seems to have better coverage after doing that.

Oh and by the way i go for hard everytime!!!!!!!!

Anne
27-08-2008, 02:43 PM
on all new stamps i get some heavy duty tape and press it on and off the stamp about 20 times before i use it, it seems to have better coverage after doing that.

Oh and by the way i go for hard everytime!!!!!!!!

I think you'll get on well round here, janny. ;)

I am aware of that tip - might give it a go as there's nothing to lose by doing it. :)

Phree
27-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info Phree. Erm, not sure how to phrase this next Q, but would you recommend soft or hard? :eek:

Anne, I really hate to disappoint you, I really really do...... but you ain't gonna like my answer...... because I am sure you prefer things to be hard, if not even rock solid........... anyhow here it is.....

Soft :D

Speedballs are a soft brayer as are the Ranger ones. Hard brayers are less versatile IMO, you can't get a "wheelie" with a hard one.

Anne
27-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Here's a Speedball hard 'un

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speedball-4-Hard-Rubber-Brayer-Block-Printing-Pop-In_W0QQitemZ150287943951QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16507QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Phree
27-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Never seen the hard Speedball brayer for sale in the UK...... I still recommend the soft one tho. If you can find the soft one at the same price on e-bay grab it cuz it sells around £9.99 to £10.99 in the UK so even with shipping it's cheaper from the USA.

blarf
28-08-2008, 08:41 AM
It the flat are on the surface or part of the bit that wouldn't get stamped? if it's just background rubber getting in the way give it a trim.

Could you try versa mark and embossing powder? I know that can sometimes solve weird problems. Or maybe versafine, I'm just thinking of different ink types that might work.

Phree
28-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Versafine won't dry on glossy card stock.......sigh I know this to my chagrin as I made a lovely card once and then found my beautifully stamped black versafine silhouttes smeared when touched long after you would have expected it to be dry. Mind you that was only one kind of glossy cardstock.....there may be others it will dry on, so if you give versafine a try Anne you may want to experiment with a small scrap piece of your card first.

Rainbowwand
28-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Have you tried using the stamp on plain cardstock, does it do the same thing?
it might be the stamp itself not the fact that you are stamping onto glossy card

will you be embossing? i havent tried this myself but if you have an embossing pen perhaps you could use that to fill in the missing bits then go on to emboss

Goood Luck :)

Anne
28-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies.

It the flat are on the surface or part of the bit that wouldn't get stamped? if it's just background rubber getting in the way give it a trim.

It's actually part of the image, sk.

Have you tried using the stamp on plain cardstock, does it do the same thing?
it might be the stamp itself not the fact that you are stamping onto glossy card

will you be embossing? i havent tried this myself but if you have an embossing pen perhaps you could use that to fill in the missing bits then go on to emboss

Goood Luck :)

It makes a much better impression on plain cardstock - although still not *perfect*. Wasn't intending to emboss, but it might be something I'll try if I can't solve it any other way.

blarf
28-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I had a thought while I was a work (just the one mind ;) )

Have you tried lightly sanding the surface of the stamp? I am fairly sure I've seen Glenda and other experts do this for really stubborn stamps.

Anne
28-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I had a thought while I was a work (just the one mind ;) )

Have you tried lightly sanding the surface of the stamp? I am fairly sure I've seen Glenda and other experts do this for really stubborn stamps.

:eek: That sounds a bit scary.

Phree
28-08-2008, 06:24 PM
While I can't recall seeing stamps sanded what Blarf says does ring a bell, I think I *may* have heard this mentioned. Anne, if you recall a birthday card I sent to you with the lady in the red dress, I had a similar problem with her dress as there are large solid panels in the skirt part of the dress - I think I stamped and embossed that lady 20 times trying to get the card right!

Lord I bought 3 red ink pads including trying to emboss with Stazon (which works btw if you are quick) but I don't think I ever got the stamp to really give even coverage. I wanted a particular shade of red and Red EP I had was the closest but I was loosing fine detail - she has lovely slim ankles does that lady..... anyhow I was trying to emboss with clear fine detail over red inks in order to keep the delicate outlines of her legs and ankeles while acheiving the bright vivid red colour I wanted for the "Lady In Red" theme of the card....... but at the end of the day I had to use Versamark and my red EP and even then I was not convinced the Versamark gave truely solid coverage.

Rainbowwand
28-08-2008, 07:15 PM
:eek: That sounds a bit scary.

Its sometimes recommended for Photo Realistic stamps, as in the little girl stamp saga :D

blarf
29-08-2008, 08:40 AM
I think it has to be really fine grade sanding paper, I would use the rough side of a nail buffer because I'm paranoid! I have tried it before and it certainly didn't damage the stamp (but I can't remember if it worked).

janny
29-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi
It could be the sponge on the ink pad that is making little bubbles.
Have you tried using a thick tipped marker pen,

Mothership
06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi hope this link might be of use http://patstamps.blogspot.com/search/label/Stamp%20Conditioning

She explains it all a lot better than I could and begins with trying to clean the release agent from the stamp with Stazon cleaner.

I've always used a fine grade sanding block and have never damaged a stamp, though I must admit I found it a frightening prospect the first time. :)

Phree
06-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the link Motheship, that looks like a really interesting blog! Oddly enough I have always cleaned brand new stamps with Stazon cleaner and a rubbit-scrubbit mat first - but I guess I may need to try sanding them too because I do get splotchy results sometimes!

Flowerpot
07-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Thank you from me to Mothership. I see there is a newsletter you can subscribe to, they do a 3 issue for $12.00..... wonder if it would be worth a go??
http://www.patstamps.com/Newsletter.html

Biddie
22-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I know this Thread is a bit old but I'm wondering was the problem ever resolved?

Would putting a stamping mat or foam pad eg like a pricking mat or even a phonebook or a mouse mat under the glossy paper-just for a teeny bit of "give" help?

B

Rainbowwand
23-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Thank you from me to Mothership. I see there is a newsletter you can subscribe to, they do a 3 issue for $12.00..... wonder if it would be worth a go??
http://www.patstamps.com/Newsletter.html

Did you go for this Flowerpot? would be interested in your opinion if you did :)

Phree
23-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I have to admit I have been tempted by the Technique Junkie Newsletter, but not quite got around to subscribing yet.

Anne
23-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I know this Thread is a bit old but I'm wondering was the problem ever resolved?

Would putting a stamping mat or foam pad eg like a pricking mat or even a phonebook or a mouse mat under the glossy paper-just for a teeny bit of "give" help?

B

I got that disheartened that I gave up on it Biddie. I'm sure I'll give it another go sometime when I haven't got other stuff that needs doing.

And I did put magazines under the card. :)

Rainbowwand
23-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I have to admit I have been tempted by the Technique Junkie Newsletter, but not quite got around to subscribing yet.

Me too Phree but as it usually takes me a month of sundays to get round to anything i guess it wont be any time soon :D

Marzipan
23-10-2008, 08:14 PM
i can second that, im just glad she cant research it on the net before subscribing or it would be years lol

Flowerpot
23-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Did you go for this Flowerpot? would be interested in your opinion if you did :)

Not yet, keep looking & thinking if it's worth a go.... not to sure how I go about it so I've just sent an email saying I'd like to go for the 3 issues... will let you know what happens :)

Rainbowwand
24-10-2008, 12:05 PM
i can second that, im just glad she cant research it on the net before subscribing or it would be years lol

Hey! although the sad thing is she is right, i am terrible :D

Rainbowwand
24-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Not yet, keep looking & thinking if it's worth a go.... not to sure how I go about it so I've just sent an email saying I'd like to go for the 3 issues... will let you know what happens :)

Thanks flowerpot :)

Flowerpot
24-10-2008, 03:12 PM
UPDATE
Sent an email to the lady last night for a PayPal invoice (went for the trial subscription), got it this morning & have paid. Just waiting now for it to arrive.

Rainbowwand
25-10-2008, 06:22 PM
UPDATE
Sent an email to the lady last night for a PayPal invoice (went for the trial subscription), got it this morning & have paid. Just waiting now for it to arrive.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, do let us know what you think of it please :)

Phree
27-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks flowerpot, I too would love to know what you think of technique newsletter when it arrives.