PDA

View Full Version : My Stamp Storage System

LoobyLou
07-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

Not sure if any of you are interested in my stamp storage system. Pretty sure a few of you are likely already using this but it only just came to me as an idea, so in case none of you have thought of it I thought I would share.

Having recently been converted to tack-n-peel, it meant that there was no longer any sticky (EZMount, Kling-On etc) on the backs of my stamps to stick them to a carrier sheet. So whilst stamping them becomes quite easy and relatively inexpensive - no more foam to buy - storing them became really difficult.

I have come up with this idea

First pic shows the stamps in their storage pocket

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww54/TwistedWitch1957/Craft%20Telly%20posts/Stampwallet.jpg

Second pic, is the index sheet

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww54/TwistedWitch1957/Craft%20Telly%20posts/IndexSheet.jpg

Both are filed one behind the other so I know which stamps belong to which sheet, in lever arch files. One for each subject. The one in question here is in an elusive images folder. The index sheets here were already laminated so the cling foam would cling to them. If you didn't want to laminate, making them quite thick, you could just put them in an A4 document wallet.

Some index sheets have more than one storage folder or differently sized pockets.

I bought a range of pockets from a seller on ebay. Not all perfect, but those things that have been heat sealed like wallets never really are. It means you can put one stamp per pocket though so they dont all tumble to the bottom of a plastic A4 wallet and get jumbled.

I got ones divided into 4, as shown above, 6, 8 and 9. Obviously the more the pockets the smaller each pocket is.

So far it appears to be working okay and takes up a good third - maybe even half - less space than the stamps already mounted onto cling foam, plus they don't lose their cling and drop off.

I may add index tabs to the edges of the wallets. Depends if I find it might be quicker locating them in the folder! Anything for an easier life, lol

Forty assorted sheets as above, ten of each, including postage cost me a total of £15.55 and I have filled 7 lever arch files with them. Lever arch files 99p each from Asda.

Anna Griffin had a system on Craft Day which cost nearly £30 not including postage, and whilst it did include a folder there were only about 4 storage sheets, and no hint of refills, at who knows what cost.

4 storage wallets would have taken me 10 secs to fill, not to mention the fact that they were designed to slip A5 sheets into so you would still have stamps all fallen to the bottom.

If anyone is interested and wants to do the same yell out and I will give you the ebay blokey's name.

juliet
07-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Gr8 idea Looby........I love to be organised with my crafting stuff. The only thing I have difficulty with is the mess I have to make before I create something great!!! LOL

sugarplum
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I have been eyeing up my sons football card folder as each card has its own little pocket which would be just right for my smaller stamps Hopefully he will lose interest in the cards and I can "inherit" the folder

Winspiration
07-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Great idea, Looby :)

I use a similar system for my Sizzlets type dies, of which I have a few... :o

I have clear sheets with lots of small pockets, each holds a die and a test die cut so I can see at a glance which is which.

tru-ella
07-03-2010, 11:23 AM
so organised, well done you

mine have all been flung into boxes, lol

Millburn
07-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Can I have his name please :D

I might not be a stamper yet (I do own a few :rolleyes: ) but I know I will be and having them all stored nicely will keep me busy (and not spending ... hopefully)

craftycat
07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm still getting in a sticky mess with ez mount. Main problem is that I am gradually adding mount to stamps that have already been cut from the original sheet.

Love your storage idea Looby

LynneH
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Looby. It looks a really good idea. I've also recently converted to Tack n Peel. At the moment I have just put my unmounted stamps into an A4 storage box but that's a lot more organised.

englishminx
07-03-2010, 04:57 PM
This might sounds a bit silly, but i use the cuttblug die folders to store my clear stamps from craft stamper, the little pockets for the smaller dies are perfect, and they fit about 20 in a wallet.

Mistyblue
07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Great idea Looby, thanks for showing us. Am off now to work out just how many stamps you don't admit to lol!! :D

LoobyLou
07-03-2010, 07:44 PM
HI for anyone wishing to get some reasonably priced pockets. This seller is the one I used. The link is for the 6 pocket wallets. Just click on his shop link and type in Multi Master into the search box and all the other sizes will come up. He combines postage, £2 I think for one set and 25p for each additional. My parcel was heavy and very well packaged. So postage rates were really reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350279015384&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

angela
07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
I was thinking about storage for clear stamps and this sounds good, I did have a a football card folder which my son had finished with and I had put my atc's in, then along comes 6 year old nephew and 'borroed' it for his football cards, kids eh!

lolathelamb
07-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Do you remember 'Jj's underpants/Speedos'? These were the purple & black zip-up peel-off sticker folders (referred to here (http://www.crafttelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696)) that QVC sold before the new clear folders came into vogue. They are excellent for the smaller packs of clear stamps I find.

I don't have unmounted red rubber stamps and have not removed my wooden blocks. I never will - having recently inherited Gran's wonderful wooden sewing/stationery drawers! All my wooden and foam stamps now live there with room for guests and newbies!

agelesscraft
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Just a few words to say Thanks for the idea Looby, I have filed all my stamps in folders after buying the storage wallets you advised.
It saves a lot of space unmounting my Su stamps next .
Thanks again
Ann

LoobyLou
09-05-2010, 02:04 PM
You're welcome ageless. It certainly tidied up my stamp area and also made them MUCH easier to locate!

kitten_with_claws
09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm so glad this thread was bumped up as, not only do I like your great storage idea Looby but I found out about Tack n Peel, so cheers ladies! :up:

lee
18-08-2010, 02:02 PM
great idea looby! thanks

blarf
18-08-2010, 03:53 PM
After seeing this I bought a load of these to keep my stamps in too. It works excellently although I have 3 folders full of them and they're bulging. I also found some box folders with a ring binder in in staples so they don't fall out. They are like these: http://www.ukofficedirect.co.uk/emgee-chunkee-box-ring-binder-prd_803523.aspx

LoobyLou
18-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I have six bulging folders myself blarf - so just imagine how much space they took up mounted with foam backings!

Love that link you posted by my word it's pricey. I use Asda's 99p lever arch files myself, and okay they don't close up completely like your lovely link would but they work perfectly well for me.

morgana123
08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Another crafter who has just found this thread and popped off to buy some of the storage sheets. I have several spare sheets for storing my sizzlets dies and had never thought to use them for my single small stamps until I read this thread.

I went into Wilkinsons today, after watching qvc yesterday decided to get myself some expanding files to store my unmounted stamps in, they are currently on A4 laminate sheets in a box so I have to lift each one out to find the sheet I want. I picked up two different files from their Peacock stationery range cos the designs are lovely. The large expanding file has 19 pockets and a carrying handle. The second file I bought is plastic and at the reverse has 12 tabbed sections but at the front is one large rigid pocket a couple of centimetres deep, perfect for storing stamp blocks and other accessories in. Both together came to less than £8 and will easily store at least 31 A4 sheets of stamps, more than enough for my small collection and plenty of room for it to grow lol.

craftycat
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the link Blarf. I'd seen the post before but forgot about it. I like storing my stamps on plastic sheets but wanted something a bit more secure than a ring file.

Office direct isn't the cheapest of companies but they seem to have a range of goods not always available elsewhere.

craftycat
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Spent some time yesterday playing about with the best way to store mounted Clarity stamps. If they are stored "stacked" quite a depth of box is needed and it is hard to see what the image is. If they are laid out, just touching in a shallow A4 box ( the sort Crafty superstore sell) it is easy to see the image, no risk of damaging the stamp and no more storage space needed than the single deeper box. Bit more expensive of course but not much in it in the long run I don't think!

morgana123
12-09-2010, 09:36 PM
I "spooned" my Clarity stamps when I first got them, as Barbara often mentions doing. However, I didnt remove the blue ink that is on the stamps so you can see the design easly and it transferred to the handle of the stamp on top and blow me but it will not come off the handle. So ladies, if you do stack like this, remember to take off the blue first.

lizinbena
12-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I wonder,:thinking: if you've got wall space, would the rails available from Ikea work for the Clarity Stamps? ... but only if you've got 'soft' floors I have ceramic tiled floors and they don't take prisoners when anythings dropped on them.lol:sad:

Liz

blarf
13-09-2010, 08:49 AM
morgana - does nail polish remover not work? Barbara uses it to take the blue off the stamp so maybe it would work on the handle.

budgie
13-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I had the same problem and I did use nail polish remover on the handles, but they are now a bit cloudy looking. Won't be doing it on anymore.

kitten_with_claws
13-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I had the same problem and I did use nail polish remover on the handles, but they are now a bit cloudy looking. Won't be doing it on anymore.

Yes, I'd definitely avoid the handles with it - I accidentally got some on the handle when removing the blue from a very small stamp & as Budgie says, it has gone a bit cloudy where it touched it.....!

morgana123
13-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Im living with it lol, I'm a quick learner and havent done it since lol.

craftycat
13-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I wonder,:thinking: if you've got wall space, would the rails available from Ikea work for the Clarity Stamps? ... but only if you've got 'soft' floors I have ceramic tiled floors and they don't take prisoners when anythings dropped on them.lol:sad:

Liz

Just tried hanging a couple of my mounted Clarity stamps on my Ikea kitchen tool rail. Works well but wonder whether they would get dusty if stored out in the open. And I for one don't dust!

morgana123
13-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Just tried hanging a couple of my mounted Clarity stamps on my Ikea kitchen tool rail. Works well but wonder whether they would get dusty if stored out in the open. And I for one don't dust!

Crafty my aunt would be throwing her hands up in dis belief - dont dust!!!!! The first time she visited me she caught me hoovering the tops of the skirting boards with the brush attachment to get the dust and dog hair off them and offered to buy me a chamois leather so I could clean them properly every day. I declined her kind offer much to her disgust lol.

I suppose they would get dusty but a quick clean with a baby wipe should have them ready for use.