PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Stamp Pad

Pam
16-09-2008, 05:07 PM
This is new to me:o and I just wondered if anyone has used it and what do you think of it if you have?:confused::)

Rainbowwand
16-09-2008, 05:24 PM
gonna have to google that one Pam :confused:

Rainbowwand
16-09-2008, 05:25 PM
ooooh!! hmm

Rainbowwand
16-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Hmm Pam i am blaming you for the fact that i have found some rather nice rubber stamps while googling for said ink pad, but i forgive you lol :D

DianaDreads
16-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Ooh, I bought one of those on holiday but haven't had the chance to use it yet :rolleyes:
If I get the chance I'll give it a go later

Rainbowwand
16-09-2008, 05:56 PM
let us know how you get on with it, if you do have a little play :)

Pam
16-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I know what you mean RW - I googled it too because I didn't want to buy it from QVC, didn't need all the other stuff with it and would rather not buy from QVC ended up with three stamps as well!!!!! lol Mind you they were ones I'd been looking at for quite a while. lol The stamp pad looks good doesn't it?

I'd like to know what you think about it too please Diana.

gill71
16-09-2008, 08:38 PM
I thought the same as you Pam, didn't want the stamps but liked the idea of the ink pad. DB did seem to struggle to get it to bleach out effectively on TV today though.

Winspiration
16-09-2008, 08:46 PM
You could always maybe test out Dawn's tip of using bleach on a kitchen towel to stamp with :p

Pam
16-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I thought the same as you Pam, didn't want the stamps but liked the idea of the ink pad. DB did seem to struggle to get it to bleach out effectively on TV today though.

Very true Gill, it looked good on some of the samples though didn't it.:rolleyes: She did say it wouldn't work very well on some papers/card, you would have thought she would have used paper/card she knew it would work well on though.:eek:

You could always maybe test out Dawn's tip of using bleach on a kitchen towel to stamp with :p

Knowing me I'd get sky/blue/pink. lol

CaramelBunny
16-09-2008, 09:35 PM
It looked interesting, but I'm a bit scared of what it might do to stamps over time. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I'd have liked it if they'd at least mentioned something about it. Bleach on rubber doesn't sound good...

Pam
16-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I wondered about that too, is it actually bleach in the stamp pad?

CaramelBunny
16-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know if there's actually bleach in the pad. There's clearly a bleaching agent...is that the same?! Perhaps it's OK as it's thermo-reactive?:confused: Oh, & if some of the less than dramatic results are anything to go by I suppose it can't be very strong bleach!;)

Phree
17-09-2008, 01:18 AM
I have seen this pad on a few different web sites in recent months and been wondering about it. Bliddy missed it on QVC today as I would have liked to have seen a demo using it.

Anne
17-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Didn't see yesterday's show, but looking at the website, I think we have that ink pad in the shop. I'll try and remember to find out about it. :)

Pam
17-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, I've received the stamp pad today:eek:, glad I didn't order it from QVC, it doesn't say anything at all about 'ingredients' but I'd forgotten that you have to heat it after stamping. On the box it says to leave it for 5 minutes and then iron it with a fairly hot dry iron (cotton setting) to activate the colour altering process, I think Dawn used a heat gun.

CaramelBunny
17-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Please let us all know how you get on with it! :)

Does it say anything on the box about cleaning stamps afterwards? I mean, OBVIOUSLY you're going to clean them afterwards, but I wondered if it had any suggestions about what kind of cleaner to use in order to protect your stamps.

(Dawn used an iron too yesterday, but did say that someone on the QVC web site reviews had said she had used a heat gun. Personally I'd prefer to use a heat gun if it worked. Less hassle than getting the iron out. I NEVER get the iron out!:D)

Pam
17-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks CaramelBunny, I knew I'd heard her say something about a heat gun, trouble with me is I only half watch. lol

Nothing at all about cleaning the stamp after use.

Phree
18-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Let us know how you get on with that pad please Pam.

Pam
18-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Here you are Phree.:)

Well, I've had a play with the stamp pad - I didn't have much plain paper to hand, I used it on one piece of paper and a piece of card. On the paper it worked very quickly, I waited five minutes before I ironed it but it was very subtle.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/PamE24/P1010917b.jpg

On the card I thought it would soak up the ink very quickly but it didn't, I waited over an hour and a half for it not to be wet:eek:. Shows a bit clearer on this colour though. Don't like it mind you! lol

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/PamE24/P1010922b.jpg

I think it'll be quite difficult to judge how it's going to work though.

Phree
18-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for posting the pics waterlily. If this is bleach then I know that people who have demostrated bleaching techniques on Create and Craft usually say you have to play around with different card stocks as it does not always work so well on some as it does on other. But then they are demoing with regular household bleaches, no idea what is in that Castaway pad.

Pam
18-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for posting the pics waterlily. If this is bleach then I know that people who have demostrated bleaching techniques on Create and Craft usually say you have to play around with different card stocks as it does not always work so well on some as it does on other. But then they are demoing with regular household bleaches, no idea what is in that Castaway pad.

Hi Phree

You are welcome.

Dawn said the same about the ink pad. It's a bit of a pain though isn't it lol
I thought it would work much faster on the card because it was more fibrous
than the paper. You live and learn. lol:rolleyes:

CaramelBunny
18-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks ever so much for sharing how you got on with it.:D The blue paper is very pretty, but I agree the green's not quite so good! I suppose it's a bit hit & miss with what colour it's going to bleach into.

I'm still undecided about this one. I love the idea of a whole new kind of ink pad, but if it's trial & error what card it works on, how long it takes & what colour it goes I think I might not have the patience.:o Maybe I'll stick to Versamark & chalk. Not quite the same effect, but close enough for me.

Shepherdess
18-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I wonder if hydrogen peroxide would work, it's much gentler than pure bleach and therefore should be kinder to your stamps.

Boris Bear
22-09-2008, 12:59 PM
You can buy special card for bleaching, I got some from the people who do clarity stamps

Pam
22-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks Boris Bear, I'll have to look out for it.