PDA

View Full Version : canon pixma mp 640 printer

lilac froggy Jan
01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I chose this printer as it has very good reviews and some folk on here recommended it too as being very good for crafting.

Now it might just because it is new and the inks may be have been produced a while ago, but I am not always that happy with the results I am getting when printing from my cds.:confused2:

I usually use HP everyday semi-glossy photo paper for decoupage and always got excellent results with the HP multifunction we had prior to the canon. Also got good results on the c&c super smooth paper and other 100gsm paper I use for backing and inserts. Always clear crisp images.:mysmilie_499:

The canon doesn't always seem to be a crisp. I am trying different settings for different papers to see if that makes a difference and it does sometimes. Colours aren't always as good as they were with the HP either.

I have one of those colour heuy gadgets that Fab once recommended that I haven't used yet. But then that won't make nay difference to how the printed result will be though from the printer.

I'll just have to keep trying. But it's wasting ink and paper! I have ordered a new set of inks to have instock as they others run out. Maybe I will eventually see a difference.

sheilaj
01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes! it does make a colour difference because it will show you on the screen what will be coming off the printer.

we use bulk buy decent quality paper from staples and Kodak or staples photo products and have been very pleased with the results.

papercraftbycarole
01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I have an MP550, and I use Staples photo paper. Haven't had a problem, but then I don't print a huge amount from CD's. Cx

lilac froggy Jan
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I know it shows what will be coming from the printer Sheila. What i meant was, surely it doesn't make the printer print any better. If that makes sense LOL
I only use quality paper and card for printing and never had any problems with the HP.

I'll carry on trying different settings. The other day I was printing popcorn bear. Was pale and hardly any detail on photo paper on ordinary setting. On the HP that would have been fine. Then I tried setting for semi glossy and it was slightly better but still pale. Vest was when I did matt photo setting on the super smooth paper. Much darker and picked up every little detail.

sheilaj
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I think that HP's use more ink than canons (at least our usage is less since we switched) which is why a standard setting on a Canon might print out paler than on an HP IYSWIM. Are ypu using the high quality settings?