PDA

View Full Version : Big N Juicy Pads Help

LoobyLou
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi all.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Vibrant Primary pads and the Happy Birthday pad? They look to me to be almost identical and I am not sure which one to choose. I wish they would put pics up of the actual ink on white paper instead of those covers on the pads which are, in my opinion, worse than useless.

kitten_with_claws
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Are these pics any better Looby? They look somewhat enhanced but show the colour differences in the yellows & greens better than most:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Big-and-Juicy-Raised-Felt-Ink-Pad-Vibrant-Primary-New-/300332128905?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ed309a89

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Big-and-Juicy-Raised-Felt-Ink-Pad-Happy-Birthday-New-/300366568347?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef3e1b9b

I think the Birthday one is more 'pastel' & the greens in the two pads are totally different tonal ranges?

Phree
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Those "worse than useless" labels on the ink pads are actually hand brayered using the same ink that is in the pad.;)

Anyhow I checked out the Ranger site to see if they actually named the inks used in each different band of the pad (they used to do that with the now discontinued Adirondack Rainbow Pads), but I couldn't see any names.

I have been meaning to do that for myself actually because with the old Rainbow pads the inks used were all from the regular Adirondack dye in range and it made it easy to repeat some of the colours from the "rainbow" in single colour element by going to the plain Adirondack pad for that part of my project. It was not always easy to tell which shade exactly was in the rainbow version - eg is that pesto or oregano? The colours used are named on the bottom of the B&J pad, but that's no good when you are trying to decide if you want to buy one - I have some of the inks as plain ink pads in pads like the Spice one, but others I do not so I know I can do more in the way of effects with Spice if you see what I mean.

Here's the Ranger link in case you are interesed. - pics are small but it will let you see all of the B&J pads on one page.

http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_dyeink_bigandjuicyrnbw.htm

LoobyLou
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks, but it's the covers that I think are carp kitten. In my opinion, judging on those covers you posted, the happy birthday one is actually more vibrant, and the vibrant one is more muddy........ see my problem!

Does anyone by any chance have both so they can give me an opinion on how they actually stamp?

See what you mean about the greens though, one is sort of limey and the other more turquoise.

Phree
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Looby, why not e-mail Ranger - ask them what colours are in those 2 pads. Perceptions differ - on my screen the vibrant looks truely vibrant.... the Happy Birthday looks as kitten said, more pastel. I don't see any green bands at all in the Vibrant - only 2 shades of blue on the right side of the pad as you look at it on screen and the pinks are way hotter - but that may be to do with how my screen is set up and individual differences in what we think of as "bright and vibrant" vs "deep" colour tones.

LoobyLou
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Those "worse than useless" labels on the ink pads are actually hand brayered using the same ink that is in the pad.;)

Anyhow I checked out the Ranger site to see if they actually named the inks used in each different band of the pad (they used to do that with the now discontinued Adirondack Rainbow Pads), but I couldn't see any names.

I have been meaning to do that for myself actually because with the old Rainbow pads the inks used were all from the regular Adirondack dye in range and it made it easy to repeat some of the colours from the "rainbow" in single colour element by going to the plain Adirondack pad for that part of my project. It was not always easy to tell which shade exactly was in the rainbow version - eg is that pesto or oregano? The colours used are named on the bottom of the B&J pad, but that's no good when you are trying to decide if you want to buy one - I have some of the inks as plain ink pads in pads like the Spice one, but others I do not so I know I can do more in the way of effects with Spice if you see what I mean.

Here's the Ranger link in case you are interesed. - pics are small but it will let you see all of the B&J pads on one page.

http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_dyeink_bigandjuicyrnbw.htm

Thanks Phree. Boy do I feel stupid now!

But even though they are hand brayered, surely the difference would be on how they look on the glossy someone offwhite looking labels and how they would look on white card?

That link you gave does give a better impression of the ink colours though, in my opinion anyhow, the vibrant primary there looks less 'muddy' although the picture of the label there looks more pastel than the happy birthday label looks normally.

I still can't make my mind up whether to go straight for the vibrant, or try to get a similar brightness of colour by getting the happy birthday and building the colour up. After all as Barbara Grey is always telling us, you can add colour, but you can't take it away.

I don't want them for brayering anyhow, I want them for painting.

LoobyLou
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Looby, why not e-mail Ranger - ask them what colours are in those 2 pads. Perceptions differ - on my screen the vibrant looks truely vibrant.... the Happy Birthday looks as kitten said, more pastel. I don't see any green bands at all in the Vibrant - only 2 shades of blue on the right side of the pad as you look at it on screen and the pinks are way hotter - but that may be to do with how my screen is set up and individual differences in what we think of as "bright and vibrant" vs "deep" colour tones.

I spose when you think about it, about the blues/greens, that's common sense, after all it's meant to be primary colours and green is not a primary, it's a secondary. So that being the case is one of those colours a true red?

Confused.com lol

Phree
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I can't help with actual colours Looby, but as I already posted.....some, but not all of those colours are in the Adirondack Earthtones ink pad range.... now I would be prepared to bet money that the deepest pink shade in Vibrant is Wild Plum - it look really like it may be. However now you have said you want to paint ....here's the thing.....

Painting with dye inks is really a form of water colouring.... the paint is transparent and the more you water it down the paler the colour gets..... I honestly don't think you will get a "true red" in either of those pads - they look far to pinky to me, but I would say go for Vibrant primary - that gives you strong colours which can be made pale by adding more water. Barbara is correct in saying you can always add colour, but you can't take it away, However you cannot add MORE colour than you originally started with so you can't turn a pale shade darker simply by using less water if you see what I mean - you have to start mixing it with another colour that will darken it. The lack of a green band does not matter as you can mix greens from the blue/yellow bands on the pad.... guessing the yellow band in that on is "Butterscotch"

Just incase you need to know - the true red in the Adirondack range is "Red Pepper"

LoobyLou
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks Phree, that's much more informative. I already paint with distress inks, but there are not really any particularly vibrant colours in them, I wanted something to add into the mix to hot things up a bit. Sounds like the vibrant primary is the way to go. I have btw mailed Ranger about the colours in the various pads, but have not yet had a reply.