PDA

View Full Version : My First Cinch Project

LynneH
22-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I've just finished my first Cinch project. I've bound together the cards that come with the Page Maps book. I thought they would be a lot easier to look through. I made a few mistakes but I'm pleased with it for a first effort. Next time I will know to make the covers a bit wider as I made the mistake of making them the same size as the cards. It looks OK but it would have been better if they were a bit wider.

How is everyone covering the chipboard please? I covered the chipboard with PVA and then stuck the paper on. It was a bit messy though and I can see it being quite awkward on the larger boards.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/LynneH_photos/PageMapsBook.jpg

icebubble
22-06-2010, 02:26 PM
That is gorgeous Lynne and such a lovely book to keep on your desk for reference. I love all the special things people are making and it's giving me tons of inspiration. Your front cover is beautifully created and such gorgeous colours. You should be really pleased with your first project. x

I used DST and made sure it was flat and smooth and it was easy to use but I've only made 6x6 size books so far.

LynneH
22-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Did you just use the DST around the edges please IB? I noticed when you did yours that you turned the edges over and did the back too, but I went for the easy option. LOL! I just covered the front with paper and stamped on the other side.

icebubble
22-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I made the front cover slightly larger than the chipboard cover and first of all laid the chipboard on the paper and folded the excess over to get an impression of where the actual square of the front cover would be. Then I put DST around the edges of the 'square' and a piece diagonally in the middle of the cover. I pressed down and made sure this was neat and smooth. Then left with the excess paper on all four sides I tried to mitre the corners put tape pen on the excess and folded and smoothed down. This gives you a neat edge all around the book. Next I measured and cut a square of card or paper to fit the back side of the front cover and when this is stuck down hides all of the folding and sticking leaving a neat finish. I just need to learn how to mitre the corners as mine were very hit and miss. I hope I've explained that ok shout if I can help. x

LynneH
22-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you IB. I might try that next time if I feel brave enough. LOL!

kitten_with_claws
22-06-2010, 02:50 PM
That's absolutely beautiful Lynne, I adore those colours, it looks very posh & professional, you must be well chuffed!
So nice to see that an item actually works for a change & everybody is already producing some brilliantly imaginitive works of art with the Cinch! :star:

juliet
22-06-2010, 03:01 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/1sm181GoldStars.gif
That's brilliant lynne! Very arty! I was looking at the shabby sheek/altered chipboard books on You Tube. Very nice.
Adore the way you have used different lettering on the front.
Might have to have a go for my page maps! LOL
The trouble is I always end up doing projects for other people and forget about myself!!!

JanTheNan
22-06-2010, 03:30 PM
It's really beautiful.

What is a page map please, sorry for being such a dim wit?

LynneH
22-06-2010, 03:34 PM
It's really beautiful.

What is a page map please, sorry for being such a dim wit?

They're sketches for scrapbook pages, Jan. They're great for when you're lacking in inspiration, which for me is most of the time! :grin:

Millburn
22-06-2010, 03:39 PM
another great thingy :up: (sorry busy day, so I'm loosing words) using the cinch, and I'm not giving in and buying one

JanTheNan
22-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for that Lynne, still not a lot the wiser, LOL, thicket moment, would it be possible to see a pic of the inside please?

kitten_with_claws
22-06-2010, 03:44 PM
They're sketches for scrapbook pages, Jan. They're great for when you're lacking in inspiration, which for me is most of the time! :grin:

Are they ones you've just gathered together yourself Lynne or do they actually come as a sort of book thingy.........*totally scrapbook ignorant me, as you can tell!* lol

LynneH
22-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I'll go and take some more photos.

JanTheNan
22-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you so much Lynne, looking forward to seeing what's what.

Like Kitten I'm totally in the dark, LOL.

LynneH
22-06-2010, 04:10 PM
The book is Scrapbook Page Maps by Becky Fleck. It came with some quick reference cards in the back of the book. You could detatch them and put them in a box like a pack of playing cards. They are very useful but I thought a book would be so much easier to flick through.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/LynneH_photos/IMGP5589.jpg

Here's a photo of the back and the stamped inside too. The papers are from the Graphicus guild pack and the stamps are Elusive Images ones.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/LynneH_photos/IMGP5590.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/LynneH_photos/IMGP5591.jpg

3BC
22-06-2010, 04:18 PM
What a fabulous book, what a first effort!

Summer
22-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Love it Lynne, brilliantly done.

How did you get the rounded corners on the covers? and also the pages?

I like the idea of page map as well, i do find the planning of scrapbooks quite hard. I have been known to cover bedroom floor with 12 x 12 papers and photos, leaving enough space for me to hop between to change things around. I'm sure thats not the right way to do it lol

JanTheNan
22-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you so much Lynne, seeing it in the 'flesh' really does help.

Possibly the Corner Chomper Summer, or some other corner rounder methinks.
I have the Corner Chomper and use it a lot.

LoobyLou
22-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Lovely Lynne, simply lovely. Like Summer I too am intrigued about the rounded corners as it really finishes it off nicely.

I must try and do something with mine, or it will still be sitting there this time next year, unused!

LynneH
22-06-2010, 04:33 PM
The pages were already rounded so I used my Corner Chomper (love WRMK!) to do the chipboard cover. Luckily they match perfectly.

There is a fab website too Summer. www.pagemaps.com

JanTheNan
22-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry, another stupid question, what's DST please?

LynneH
22-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Double Sided Tape.

sillysausage
22-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry, another stupid question, what's DST please?

I think it's double sided tape, Jan.
Lynne, I love the book with the page maps. I have that book too, so I might have a go myself as it seems a manageable project to try out the cinch, which - beleive it or not - is still unopened in my craft room. I've just been so very busy i haven't even had the time for a quick play!

LipstickCherry
22-06-2010, 04:57 PM
It's really lovely Lynne.

LorraineJ
22-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Fab idea, one to shameless copy me thinks. I bought a corner chomper last week in Bognor for £12.50, a very good price.

kitty
22-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh Lynne, thanks for the fab idea, my page map cards never come out of their box as they are fiddley - I'm going to do mine - tonight! I use 'make me' photo glue for covering etc, was introduced to using it on Rosemary merry's retreat and she swears by it, it's easily removable and just rubs off if it gets anywhere it shouldn't.

LynneH
22-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for that tip Kitty. I'll look out for that glue. The rubbing off part sounds really useful.

LynneH
22-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I just Googled the glue and came across an article by Rosemary recommending it. LOL! When you use it, do you need to cover the whole area please Kitty, or just the edges and a few blobs in the middle? I don't want lumpy covers. :doh:

juliet
22-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Lynne - I would email Becky Fleck via page map website and send her a link for this thread. I'm sure she would like to see your book!
I have contacted her in the past about her book and she did reply.

LynneH
22-06-2010, 08:06 PM
She might think I've messed it up her cards. :giggle:

juliet
22-06-2010, 08:12 PM
She might think I've messed it up her cards. :giggle:

No lynne she wouldn't think that at all. Those little cards are to take out and have handy. I think it's a brilliant idea. Honestly Lynne you really should - she'll be pleased. I bet she is really interested to see it! She knows our Fab btw so no need to be scared!!! LOL (meant in the nicest possible way fab if you happen to read this post!!!)

Summer
22-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the page map site link Lynne, I think that will really help me. Noticed it also has card maps too which i will also find useful :up:

LoobyLou
22-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Word of warning on the photoglue ladies. It looks great and does exactly what it says on the tin, but you sit and wait and watch what happens to the sticky once your projects get warm, such as in a centrally heated room.

One year I made all my christmas cards with photoglue and put them up on display for a couple of weeks before they had to be mailed, cos I am a sad little bunny who likes to admire her work before she sends it. Anyhow a large proportion of them just fell apart in my warm room and I had to restick them with DST.

I suppose I could just have had a duff batch, but it worried me that it might be in the recepient's house and then fall apart.

kitty
23-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Word of warning on the photoglue ladies. It looks great and does exactly what it says on the tin, but you sit and wait and watch what happens to the sticky once your projects get warm, such as in a centrally heated room.

One year I made all my christmas cards with photoglue and put them up on display for a couple of weeks before they had to be mailed, cos I am a sad little bunny who likes to admire her work before she sends it. Anyhow a large proportion of them just fell apart in my warm room and I had to restick them with DST.

I suppose I could just have had a duff batch, but it worried me that it might be in the recepient's house and then fall apart.

Thanks for the heads up on potential sticking problems, I haven't had too much of a problem with mine so far - I have only used it on paper to cover altered items. I covered a box in March and okay so far. I use it around the edge and in the middle of the paper, not too sparingly.