PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Marvy Heritage inks for stamping?

kitten_with_claws
30-06-2010, 11:59 PM
These:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.586747

Got them today & wanted to try them out with my new Anna Griffin sentiments stamps.....big fat failure!
Now I will readily admit I am truly cr*p at stamping (though I practise daily! lol) but the ink simply would not take on the stamp, was all little surface dots & this showed on the resulting image!

Inks are dye-based & stamps are clear. I tried cleaning stamps with stamp cleaner, even washing them gently with washing-up liquid, made not a jot of difference!
They do however stamp beautifully (for me!) with my House Mouse rubber, wood mounted stamp, no problems at all!

OH took a look & started burbling something about the stamps' surface tension etc. & then started waffling on about photographic stuff where one can apparently encounter the same problem.......!
Bit miffed as DB was clearly using a clear stamp on the demo......?

I have now ordered some of the new Clearly Better ink pads (little ones!) which are designed specifically for clear stamps & will try those but wondered if it was just me having a problem here? (I don't seem to be very successful so far at stamping generally & a total disaster with clear stamps.....feeling a little crushed tbh......!) :confused2:

Wellington
01-07-2010, 10:01 AM
That sometimes happens to me with Distress Inks - & not just on clear stamps either...But depending on the image, the effect can be part of the design IYSWIM

Lioness
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I get the same effect when I use Memento on some clear stamps, and yet when I try versafine with the same stamps, the images come out fine. This causes me a problem if I want to use promarkers, as I find versafine smudges even if I leave the image overnight

kitten_with_claws
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks ladies!
Sounds like it is a bit of a case of trial & error with inks then? Hopefully the new Clearly Better ones will be suitable for my clear stamps though......! :flower:

icebubble
01-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I've also found the same thing happens to me with Memento and clear stamps sometimes and yet my Versafine gives a lovely crisp image. Don't despair Kitten it's nothing you are doing wrong. I have heard that you can either use sticky tape or very lightly sand the surface of the clear stamp and the ink should adhere better to the surface. I think there is sometimes a coating left when they are manufactured which can cause this problem. x

kitten_with_claws
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I've also found the same thing happens to me with Memento and clear stamps sometimes and yet my Versafine gives a lovely crisp image. Don't despair Kitten it's nothing you are doing wrong. I have heard that you can either use sticky tape or very lightly sand the surface of the clear stamp and the ink should adhere better to the surface. I think there is sometimes a coating left when they are manufactured which can cause this problem. x

Thanks IB - I'm also ordering a small Versafine pad in Onyx Black to try out!
OH said about a coating & also suggested lightly sanding but stamps are new & shiny & I just squawked 'Don't you dare touch them!' at him.....! lol
As I say, inks were lovely with the rubber stamp I tried them with, so definitely keeping as colours are beautiful!
*sigh* This stamping lark is harder & more complicated than I thought but......'never give up, never surrender!', eh? lol
*fingers crossed for the Clearly Better & Versafine ones then!*

icebubble
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
OH said about a coating & also suggested lightly sanding but stamps are new & shiny & I just squawked 'Don't you dare touch them!' at him.....! lol
*fingers crossed for the Clearly Better & Versafine ones then!*

:giggle: I know how you feel! Sometimes my daughters venture into my crafty space and I virtually break out in a cold sweat when they start messing with stuff! Don't touch the precious I feel like yelling. I'm quite protective of my stamps. :cheeky:

Would love to hear how you get on with the Clearly Better inkpads as I haven't seen these in action. I ordered the small Versa Magic Dew Drop inks from QVC when I saw Dawn using them this week as I loved the colours and haven't used chalky inks before. Can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out. I don't think you can ever have too many inkpads. :flower:

kitten_with_claws
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Would love to hear how you get on with the Clearly Better inkpads as I haven't seen these in action.

I will report back when I've tried them out IB, both as regards stamping & how they perform with Promarkers because let's face it, if I have any success with them, anybody will.......! :blush: :nod:

icebubble
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks Kitten I look forward to hearing how you get on with them. :wave:

You're doing brilliant at crafting so don't be tough on yourself. You've tackled stamping which some people never do and you're doing really well and ask all the same sort of questions I did when I first discovered rubber and ink! So you go girl you're doing great. :clapping: :flower: