PDA

View Full Version : UK Class with Tim Holtz

morgana123
13-09-2010, 12:56 PM
On another forum I go on there is a very lively thread about Tim Holtz and some classes he will be holding in the UK early next year. They are being organised by Paper Artsy, all details on their website and the cost is £150 plus VAT for 4 hours with Tim and 2 further hours with two designers from Paper Artsy.

Im afraid it is way, way out of my price range but I thought I would post on here if anyone was interested. Tickets go on sale tonight on line I believe at 8pm. There are 4 classes over 2 days, no details as to how many in each class.

Wellington
13-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Good grief - have you read all the T&Cs that go with the scary scary prices? No large bags or scrapping totes allowed....

blarf
13-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I hope everyone tells them where to go with this ridiculous class - don't they know people are struggling financially at the moment?

angela
13-09-2010, 04:41 PM
I like TH and his tecniques but HELLO it's only bloody paper art Tim, and your only a regular guy, so drop the prices of your stuff and your classes and crawl down from up your own arse!

angela
13-09-2010, 04:42 PM
ps he's on at art from the heart as well, don't know if the charges will be the same

angela
13-09-2010, 04:47 PM
pps you can watch him for free tomorow on HSN they are having their 1st 24hr craft day apparently

CraftyK
13-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I saw the classes advertised too - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the prices were extreme. I love most of TH's products and his techniques, but I don't think a four hour class is worth more than double what Barbara was charging for her workshops.

He has come over to the UK in February for at least the last two years, and made appearences at several shops as well as QVC. Let's hope the people who stump up for his classes get more than the usual 'distressed tags' and 'stickles/crackle' techniques that were repeated all day last year.

kitten_with_claws
13-09-2010, 05:13 PM
I like TH and his tecniques but HELLO it's only bloody paper art Tim, and your only a regular guy, so drop the prices of your stuff and your classes and crawl down from up your own arse!

Don't hold back now Angie, tell it like it is.......! LOL

The prices are ridiculous & the T&Cs even more so - fair enough you can't flog the tickets on (bet some appear on eBay though & unless you turn up with a passport how the hell would they know you weren't the original purchaser anyway?) but if you're unlucky enough to fall ill (or get run over by a bus or something!) they take a 10% cancellation fee from your refund & if within 4 weeks of the event & there is no-one on the waiting list for your ticket, you don't get a refund at all......!

Eh? Laughable! :mysmilie_507:

kitten_with_claws
13-09-2010, 05:19 PM
And that's 150 quid plus VAT.......& they don't even chuck in lunch for that........! :mysmilie_514:

Presumably the 'only 1 small bag allowed in the classroom' is so you don't pinch all the goodies......maybe they'll frisk you at the door too so you don't try & smuggle in a camera to take pics of the great man to flog to 'Hello!' magazine or summat.......! :mysmilie_507:

Rainbowwand
13-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Ow much? i got 5 plus hours of Lindsey Mason for nowt! at my local craft shop, she was there from 10 till 4 with a sort break for lunch. ok so not Tim Holts but blooming eck! £150 plus vat what planet are they on, although saying that i bet that the places are all booked up

budgie
13-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Wouldn't even pay that for 4 hours of Barbara!

Rainbowwand
13-09-2010, 06:42 PM
they have other workshops covering a weekend £275 for those, although you do get fed and watered on these ones and all you need for the workshops, the Warrington on is in the De Vere Daresbury Hotel which is quite nice we have stayed there before, shame there wasnt a workshop on then i could have tried to sneak in lol

blarf
13-09-2010, 07:02 PM
i booked 3 hours with sheena for £20

angela
13-09-2010, 07:15 PM
:bandit::bandit::bandit:Tim Turpin!

icebubble
13-09-2010, 10:16 PM
The words too big for your boots springs to mind. Sorry but think I'll stick to Youtube and blogs and spend the money on craft goodies instead. I wouldn't pay that much for any craft demo or class to be honest but I'm sure lots of people will. They can only charge that amount if there are those willing to pay it I suppose. Good job we are all different!

Wellington
13-09-2010, 10:51 PM
i booked 3 hours with sheena for £20

Bloody bargain! And quite possibly more entertaining IMHO

Phree
13-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Gotta agree.......the price is ridiculous. Not sure who set it tho, we are assuming it's Sir Tim, but it might be the shop owner. Anyhow it's not a price I would be prepared to pay even if I had £150 to spare.

On the subject of small bags... I suspect they are more afraid of people trying to steal a "Sir Tim Original", saw a recent blog post on someones blog where that person was having to appeal for some of her samples to be returned after a workshop.... she seemed pretty sure they had been nicked and was saying "return them annoymously, and the matter is done with" or words to that effect. Pretty low thing to do really, stealing stuff from a workshop.

Mothership
14-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm not justifying the cost of the event but would point out that this is to be full blown tutorial by TH and not the short demo you generally get when visits shops in February. Leandra Franich and Lin Brown will also be teaching.

The restriction on bag size is explained on Lin's blog and if you look at the photo from a previous weekend it becomes understandable. http://yoursartfully.blogspot.com/

Selling the tickets on could be to do with insurance, I'm going over to the shop shortly I'll check it out.

LoobyLou
14-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Whatever the reason MS it's still bloody expensive. 'Specially when you consider you can get him for free and gratis on Utube.

sheilaj
14-09-2010, 08:51 AM
He seems a nice unassuming guy when you see him on TV. I actually wonder how much of the fees will be profit..not much I suspect. having said that there is NO WAY I would cough for that unless I was much richer than I am :)

Purplepig
14-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Everything connected with TH has an inflated price imo, I think this is a shocking price to charge!

morgana123
14-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Well my daughter sat with her calculator and worked out that at £150 plus vat the classes will bring in over £35,000 if there are 50 for each class, which Im told is the usual number at classes Paper Artsy hold at this venue, so even if you were to allow £15,000 to cover vat, room hire and materials that is still leaving £20,000 in the kitty. It will be interesting to see how much Art From The Heart will be charging as it appears he is going there as well.

I also think the terms and conditions are quite unbelievable, keeping 10% if you cannot go and they sell your ticket to someone else at full price or horror of horrors you cannot go and no refund whatsoever but they still sell your ticket to someone else. I think in todays economic climate this is totally unacceptable. And the small bag, hey I would assume if there are five on a table and five lots of everything and I just choose because of my personal taste not to use every bit of my stash on the projects, I would be allowed to put the rest in my bag and take it home to use later on. After all, I have paid for it havent I? Cos at £150 plus VAT it certainly isnt for free.

Im so glad Im not alone in thinking this is just a little excessive. I was beginning to think I might just be a northern skinflint. After all, I thought £25 for a class at Summer Crafting to make just one card was a bit pricy lol.

Victoria
14-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Morgana - someone needs to show your daughter how to use the calculator! LOL

sheilaj
14-09-2010, 01:03 PM
that's actually 58ish in each class.. I have discounted the vat as its not relevant, the ticket cost is plus vat not inc as the vat will be passed straight on. You have made no mention of Tim's fee either which i bet is more than sixpence.
50 per class comes to 30,000 :)

Wellington
14-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Morgana - someone needs to show your daughter how to use the calculator! LOL

Ummm, yes....tiny miss-calculation there hun...the total income for 50 attendees is some thing more like £8500/9000...

--- edit ----

150 x 58 = 8700??? Where does £30K come from? (sorry if I'm being a bit fick, maths is sooooo not my strong point!)

Mothership
14-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Ummm, yes....tiny miss-calculation there hun...the total income for 50 attendees is some thing more like £8500/9000...

--- edit ----

150 x 58 = 8700??? Where does £30K come from? (sorry if I'm being a bit fick, maths is sooooo not my strong point!)

The same class is to be held 4 times over the weekend, therefore that is 200 attendees, multiply by £150 each equals £30,000.

The size of bag is a Health & Safety issue, read Lin's blog and look a previous pictures and it is valid.

Millburn
14-09-2010, 03:47 PM
50-58 people a class :drunk: how do you get to be actually taught anything that you couldn't match with a kit and a DVD

Victoria
14-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Didn't realise there were 4 classes!

morgana123
14-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Victoria, daughter worked it out including vat for four classes, thats why she got the figure of over £35,000. And in estmating the £20,000 left over after material costs, venue, vat etc I was saying this amount would be for the demonstrators fees (Tim included) and profit. Boy would I love to know what hourly rate of pay that works out at. A tad more then the minimum wage which I bet most crafters (myself included) earn. And yes I know Tim et al are talented but I still dont think anyone is worth that sort of money, whatever their talent. I craft because it gives me pleasure, the cards and scrapbooks I do for friends give them pleasure and no I dont make anything from them, I just ask for a contribution towards the cost of the materials I use so not being someone out to make a buck from it I probably end up out of pocket most of the time. But then again, the look of pleasure, astonishment and delight on my work colleagues face when I handed her a completed scrapbook on her 60th birthday was, as the advert says, priceless.

Oh, and just a thought, wonder if the ladies and gents who are going can pop one of those fold up re-usable shopping bags in their small handbag. At least that way they can take things away without breaching any Health and Safety lol.

sheilaj
14-09-2010, 06:18 PM
guys lets keep this in perspective. He's a performer it (and the sponsors) are a business and they will charge what the market will bear...just like singers, actors, celeb chefs etcet. yes it will earn more than mimimum wage, but that's kin of spurious, so do loads of other things that people enjoy.

chris-c
14-09-2010, 06:27 PM
As much as I love the man I don't think I my money will run to this.But if anyone lives close they could get lucky and see him......just hope he is doing more than inking tags!!!

Chris x
ps just moved this over from other post ...... (I'm getting to slow)

sheilaj
14-09-2010, 07:00 PM
:) :) :) :)

Wellington
14-09-2010, 10:34 PM
The same class is to be held 4 times over the weekend, therefore that is 200 attendees, multiply by £150 each equals £30,000.

See I tole you ....durrrrrrrrrrr...Beats me how I passed that numeracy exam the other month LOL

oldscrapper
15-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I hope everyone tells them where to go with this ridiculous class - don't they know people are struggling financially at the moment?

If the classes sold out in 40 minutes and the website went into meltdown, probably not.
I imagine that as such a famous person in the crafting world, Sir Tim's fees are pretty hefty, but it's certainly not for me at that price.

Competa
15-09-2010, 08:48 AM
The saying "Rip off Britain" was the first thing I thought upon reading through the email notification yesterday. I wonder what the cost of a similar class would be in the US? £150 would almost buy a complete set of Distress Ink Pads - AND that would include VAT. The additional cost of lunch is just adding insult to injury so far as I am concerned. Surely at £150 plus VAT the organisers could have thrown in a pack of sandwiches, a WHOLE bottle of water and still made a big, fat profit!!

sheilaj
15-09-2010, 09:13 AM
85 to 110 bucks plus lunch 11 dollars, tickets are non refundable (but you can pass the ticket on yourself) no bags boxes or totes to be brought.
http://absolutelyeverything.com/?p=17

As I said before, why should we expect craft events to be any different from celeb chef events, concerts etcet. The organisers (and the performer(s) charge what the market will bear...it sounds like tickets are selling well, no one is forcing anyone to go at gunpoint so why the indignation?

Purplepig
15-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Well my daughter sat with her calculator and worked out that at £150 plus vat the classes will bring in over £35,000 if there are 50 for each class, which Im told is the usual number at classes Paper Artsy hold at this venue, so even if you were to allow £15,000 to cover vat, room hire and materials that is still leaving £20,000 in the kitty. It will be interesting to see how much Art From The Heart will be charging as it appears he is going there as well.

I also think the terms and conditions are quite unbelievable, keeping 10% if you cannot go and they sell your ticket to someone else at full price or horror of horrors you cannot go and no refund whatsoever but they still sell your ticket to someone else. I think in todays economic climate this is totally unacceptable. And the small bag, hey I would assume if there are five on a table and five lots of everything and I just choose because of my personal taste not to use every bit of my stash on the projects, I would be allowed to put the rest in my bag and take it home to use later on. After all, I have paid for it havent I? Cos at £150 plus VAT it certainly isnt for free.

Im so glad Im not alone in thinking this is just a little excessive. I was beginning to think I might just be a northern skinflint. After all, I thought £25 for a class at Summer Crafting to make just one card was a bit pricy lol.

... good grief! ... fifty per class! :whew:

... so it's not exactly an intimate little gathering for the price either, but I'm sure devotees will think it's worth every penny! :dull::dull::dull:

Purplepig
15-09-2010, 09:22 AM
85 to 110 bucks plus lunch 11 dollars, tickets are non refundable (but you can pass the ticket on yourself) no bags boxes or totes to be brought.
http://absolutelyeverything.com/?p=17

As I said before, why should we expect craft events to be any different from celeb chef events, concerts etcet. The organisers (and the performer(s) charge what the market will bear...it sounds like tickets are selling well, no one is forcing anyone to go at gunpoint so why the indignation?

... not indignation SJ, just people's opinions on the subject I think :thinking:

blarf
15-09-2010, 09:26 AM
I bet he's on at Topaz too, the classes there won't be £150! Although maybe if Dawn sees how much others have charged the price will go up.

sheilaj
15-09-2010, 11:14 AM
... not indignation SJ, just people's opinions on the subject I think :thinking:

well yeah but indignant feeling :)

alwayscrafting
15-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Wow that's a hell of a price, I love his style & stuff but not at this price.

It will probably be well subscribed to, but I have more pressing things to spend that kind of money.

I have done classes before but always find that the more people there are the less you see and learn and there are always those that dominate a class, which always gets on my nerves. :mysmilie_10:

Purplepig
15-09-2010, 11:42 AM
well yeah but indignant feeling

:thinking: :giggle::giggle::giggle:

MrsBubbles
22-06-2011, 06:37 PM
The thing is as well, it says 4 hours with Tim Holtz but I've watched some of his classes on You Tube and there are rows and rows of tables, people crammed in on top of each other. Everyone gets a kit of stuff and he stands on stage demonstrating, I'd rather sit at home watching C&C or You Tube with my own craft stuff and plenty of room to move.

dizzyjoan
22-06-2011, 08:52 PM
:puke:what planet does TH live on £150 for 4 hrs, jeez I bet the Queen wouldnt charge that much to show us her loo, plus the stuff he sells are expensive in the main, and up to now his demos are ALL the blooming same phew:dull: I fully agree hes up his self and fame has bloated his ego