PDA

View Full Version : Tim Holtz - Vagabond

Purplepig
23-01-2011, 01:22 AM
... is anyone planning on getting one?

http://www.craftydevilspapercraft.co.uk/crafts/20141-sizzix-tim-holtz-vagabond-machine.asp

... it doesn't appeal to me :whew:

papercraftbycarole
23-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Don't like the look of it!! Does it do A4?? Cxx

Millburn
23-01-2011, 08:20 AM
could it get uglier ??? and from how I read it, it's just another form of the cuttlebug or bigshot, just an ugly version with that magic label, Tim Holtz

craftycat
23-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I thought this was meant to be an electric diecut/embosser? Nothing about electronics mentioned on that link. Not sure it is the first model I would think of if I was renewing beloved Cuttlebug! The only thing that would make me change is the possibility of using A4 but not sure I really need that anyway.

lee
23-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I am very happy with my big shot and if I had £175 spare i would be buying dies!

JanTheNan
23-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Looks electric to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaK8a0w2llA

craftycat
23-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Looks electric to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaK8a0w2llA

that is the video I saw. Glad I wasn't imagining things! Must admit it looks more attractive when you see the video. Or maybe that was just Sir Tim:giggle:

cmazza
23-01-2011, 10:37 AM
It does look nicer in the video. Not interested as I already have a bigshot. I bet this is what Tim is coming to QVC to premier.

juliet
23-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Design is very Tim. Yes cmazza I thought I'd heard somewhere that he was at QVC next month - I reckon you are on the button there with the premier!

sam
23-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Hope he does a bit more than run dies and embossing folders through it a la c & c "demos". Hope he does a bit more than distressing tags as well!:wink:

kitten_with_claws
23-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Doesn't appeal to me - might be brilliant but then so is my CB! lol
It's rather expensive in comparison to similarl machines & I'm not keen on the in-your-face/I worship at the altar of TH design aspect of it, has the reverse 'style over substance' psychological effect on me, as it makes me immediately suspicious & paranoid that it may be a bit of a tarted up turkey.....! LOL

CraftyK
23-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Hope he does a bit more than run dies and embossing folders through it a la c & c "demos". Hope he does a bit more than distressing tags as well!:wink:

Don't hold your breath Sam. If it's anything like last year when he had the same demo's all day and Dawn fawning over him, I doubt that we'll see anything we can't already access on his You Tube video's :movie:

Much as I loved to see Sir Tim, it really annoyed me that he had to have not only a 'presenter' but also Dawn in on the demo's. He TEACHES workshops, so why do we need people interupting him ? (Alright - I do know it's a shopping channel)! QVC probably want to emphasise that they have an 'industry leader', but surely only non-crafters wouldn't know of TH.

If it is to be a Vagabond TSV, lets hope he is allowed to show its full potential, and pass on hints and tips (as with using embossing folders), that could also be used with the BS, CB and GC.

Millburn
23-01-2011, 11:43 AM
From yrs of working with Designers in the high end fashion industry, I have very little faith in design lead products, the bigger the name in textiles the sillier some of them were, and I once produced the same caridgan, initially for our own label, then Pringle wanted it, they changed the button (to a cheaper one) then Littlewoods ran it in the 3 best selling colours and them Aquascutum, you can image the price difference between Littlewoods and Aquascutum, (£45-£110)

sam
23-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Worse than Dawn fawning all over him, CraftyK, is Dawn and Catherine Huntley fawning all over him!

craftycat
23-01-2011, 01:01 PM
This is why I would sooner watch a decent video (Sir Tim's are usually excellent) than waste a lot of time being "sold" stuff on QVC or C&C.

By the way I've found a wonderful new way of distressing tags and the like. Lock one of the cats in the craft room by mistake. Yikes to put it mildly. At least she didn't wee on anything though

lee
23-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Would she cock her leg or squat?:mysmilie_484:

pyjama princess
23-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I love quirky things so the look of this really appeals to me - but that's where it ends. At 14lb it seems quite heavy and I have a Big Shot Express which is motorised. I also have a Wizard which I love using.

Purplepig
23-01-2011, 02:36 PM
- it's definately a boys toy imo ... and I'd probably go for it if I was one, makes me think of a tank rather than a case, don't know why!

craftycat
23-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Would she cock her leg or squat?:mysmilie_484:

Always squat. They both still squat. LOL what a very interesting topic Seems like animal toilet habits are running on two threads now!

craftycat
23-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Back to the Vagabound. I quite like the look of it from the video. I have two "tastes" of style. Sparkly and pink or shabby chic and grungy. Vagabound certainly isn't sparkly and pink! Not convinced about whether I'd pay that much though. Just think how many sets of Nesties etc we could buy instead

lee
23-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree and with the new spellbinder dies coming out and new TH stuff coming out would prefer to spend money on that! I supposed I am used to the handle turning but those who need moterised its sad its at such an exspensive premium!

Clairella
23-01-2011, 06:04 PM
It is kinda cool looking, but I realy need a "craft buddy" to share the use and the cost. Too expensive for the amount of crafting I do.
In fact this is the first time I have posted on here for months:wave:. I seemed to loose my "craft mojo" back in the summer. Made a card today, first one in months. Got inspired again last week with the "Ranger" show on QVC.....I do love a bit of vintage!!:clapping:

CraftyRich
23-01-2011, 07:59 PM
- it's definately a boys toy imo ... and I'd probably go for it if I was one

Well I am and I'm not :grin:

Nothing wrong with our old blue BS or we can wheel out the Pro if we're using big dies. It can see it appealing to the Timites though.

debo
24-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I think I might have considered it if I hadn't already taken the plunge with a Bigshot. I think part of the reason for the higher price is that it needed to be more sturdy for Tim's grungy style - he wanted to be able to emboss grungepaper (and board?) as well as cut it, so his embossing folders are deeper than the standard ones. He likes to work with metal and found objects so I can imagine that he would want as many materials as possible to be able to go through his machine.

So for now I'm happy with my BS, and will be spending any spare pennies on new dies (and he's releasing some lovely new ones at CHA!)

Purplepig
25-01-2011, 12:24 AM
- it's definately a boys toy imo ... and I'd probably go for it if I was one

Well I am and I'm not :grin:

... no I don't blame you Rich ... I don't really think I would either, even if I was a boy!

- too expensive imo :nod:

Purplepig
28-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Quote from the Sizzix newsletter:

"We are really excited to be demonstrating on QVC again this month, starring our very own Fiona Williams and crafting superstar himself Tim Holtz! The shows will feature the brand new Vagabond™ machine, the eclips™ and Texture Boutique™ in addition to a wide range of dies and embossing folders.
So don’t miss the shows on Tuesday 22nd February at 2pm and 6pm!"

CraftyRich
21-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I saw the finished product in the flesh for the first time yesterday and I have to say it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It's quite heavy so should be stable in use and seems to be finished to a much higer quality than the prototype suggested, it feels much less plasticky. It gives the impression of being very robust with brass metalwork corners and false catches, which are actually the forward and reverse controls. Sizzix tell us that the motor is more powerful than the now discontinued Express machine and so should have no trouble cutting through the thicker grungey materials that Tim likes to use. It seems to be slower than the Express, which might be becasue of the extra pressure but it is also very quiet, which is a bonus.

We should be getting our first batch very soon and they will be available on the website HERE (http://www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk/pre-order-656850-sizzix-vagabond-machine-only---inspired-by-tim-holtz-4998-p.asp)

In the meantime here is a pic I took yesterday:

http://www.richiemouse.org/CountryViewCrafts/Vagabond_Stitches_1.jpg (http://www.countryviewcrafts.co.uk/pre-order-656850-sizzix-vagabond-machine-only---inspired-by-tim-holtz-4998-p.asp)