PDA

View Full Version : Crocheted flowers

Lioness
30-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I came across some instructions on how to crochet flowers (http://inkclinations.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-does-your-garden-grow.html)and thought it might be useful to someone.

I assume that you could use them to embellish cards with.

pyjama princess
30-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Quite some time again there was a thread about crochet flowers but these are there prettiest I've seen. Thanks for the link.

fabyon
30-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm going to attempt one flower with a bigger hook ! I struggle with small hooks. I assume that double means treble and single, double. :)

Marie
30-01-2011, 12:50 PM
These are lovely - actually doing crochet flowers is easier than knitting them as it's less fiddly, at least I think so! Thanks for the link!

fabyon
30-01-2011, 01:19 PM

I struggled but will practice again so that it looks even ! :giggle:

Lioness
30-01-2011, 02:12 PM

I struggled but will practice again so that it looks even ! :giggle:

There is nothing wrong with your flower! Looks good!

Lioness
30-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm going to attempt one flower with a bigger hook ! I struggle with small hooks. I assume that double means treble and single, double. :)

I forgot that US instructions are different to ours. Well spotted and thanks for the reminder.

craftycat
30-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Hi Fab, yes, American site so their crochet terminology. This is one reason I just go by the pictures and read the pattern that way for online crochet sites. OK for flowers, scarves, bags but not too good for anything more complicated.

fabyon
30-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Fab, yes, American site so their crochet terminology. This is one reason I just go by the pictures and read the pattern that way for online crochet sites. OK for flowers, scarves, bags but not too good for anything more complicated.

Yes I was reading that the pattern icons/symbols are the same regardless how you call them ! So both side of the ponds can read the same pattern but not the instructions dc tr etc ! LOL I guess they call it a double because one draws the thread through twice, we call it treble because we end up with three hoops on the hook ! :)

angela
30-01-2011, 07:26 PM
sounds confusing!

suban
30-01-2011, 08:29 PM
They look great Fab!

I've got patterns for roses and pansies - I'll dig them out and post them for you!

craftycat
31-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes I was reading that the pattern icons/symbols are the same regardless how you call them ! So both side of the ponds can read the same pattern but not the instructions dc tr etc ! LOL I guess they call it a double because one draws the thread through twice, we call it treble because we end up with three hoops on the hook ! :)

I don't bother with the symbol bit ( that is quite easy to do though) just "read" the actual picture. So, with the flowers you are making you can see you have to start off with a ring. Usually possible to tell which stitch is used there. Then you can see the petals are built up from smaller to larger stitches, so double/treble/double treble/treble/double (equally one petal worked)

Not really complicated, Angela. I have worked directly from an American pattern. Just posted myself a reminder to "think American" - a little postit stuck on top of the pattern.

and now that I have probably sent everyone's brain into mush I will disappear back into the woodwork:whew:

Mothership
31-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Here's a beauty, totally useless on cards unless you use fine crochet cotton but makes the most beautiful corsages.
It can be made in just about any thickness of yarn and size of hook and these will determine it's size.

Again it's a US pattern so where it says Double Crochet read Treble http://the-dark-knit.blogspot.com/2008/11/crochet-roses.html

Biffo
20-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I recently found a book in Hobbycraft called 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet by Lesley Stansfield.
I was going to try to master crocheting but then heard that I am to be a grandma again so got out my wool and pins to knit baby clothes as I know I can do them without all the practising first.

fabyon
20-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Is this it Biffo ?

100 flowers to knit (http://amzn.to/eVyusr)

I had it on my wish list for a while and wondered if it was any good ! :)

LoobyLou
20-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Fab, Do you belong to a library? If so, go and get this out of the library and see for yourself. I thought it was an excellent book and will be buying it, following hiring from the local library.

amorgan
23-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I love crocheted flowers. They look so beautiful but I think it is very hard to make them isn't it? To be honest I never tried it but I will definitely would like to do it on my own. I will try the how to so thanks for sharing this. Maybe I can send my mother instead of real mothers day flowers (http://www.serenataflowers.com/Mothers-day-flowers) the next time crocheted flowers. That would be so awesome. If my crocheted flowers will look good I will definitely post photos here.

Little Jan
23-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I used to crochet a lot and me being me never started with something simple, I was taught by the lady who looked after me when mum had cancer, I was 6 at the time and she said you are never to go learn,in fact she taught me to cook and sew. but gave up compleatly on the knitting as she said I was too kack handed lol. she made the most beautifull items ,mum has one of her doilies well too good to be called that its all fine thread and bunches of grapes.. my first big item when I was 20 was a hooded cape for a baby and it was all what they called quilt stitch all little raised squares,started when the women was 4 month pregnant got it done for the babies christening at 3 months lol, bit like the cross stitch for my mum, first attempt was a a vase of roses with dozens of shades of pink took me 5 months to finish LOL
I watch the crochet show on C&C this morning making those lovely snow flakes, they said they would about 1.99 in the shop, well I have seen them for nearly £5.00 wonder if this should be another want and need item LOL
maybe not have not even had a go with my cricut yet except to cut out one shape:blush: but I have had other things on my mind

keiko1
23-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Canada/USA
UK/Australia/Europe
sl st - slip stitch sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet dc - double crochet
dc- double crochet tr - treble crochet
tr - triple crochet dtr or dbl tr - double treble

keiko1
23-09-2011, 10:37 AM
sorry about that system decided to add before I could edit it!!!

USA UK
sl st - slip stitch - slip stitch
sc - single crochet - dc double crochet
dc - double crochet - tr treble crochet
tr - triple crochet - dtr / dbl tr double treble

craftycat
23-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Crocheting flowers won't be as easy as making basic squares but there are only a few stitches in crochet. Remember to check out if the books are American as the stitch names are a bit different. Keiko has posted a list.

Joanne
29-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I am very new to crochet but found these very easy to follow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwK4hxUd07s&NR=1&feature=fvwp