PDA

View Full Version : I've got the yarn and the crochet hook

angela
06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Now watch this space, I am determined to learn how to crochet flowers if it kills me:rock:, I have been watching various youtube vids so shall crack on with it this week. Pics will follow my triumph yeah!:thinking:

kitten_with_claws
06-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished results Angie - is this your new craze then.....flower making in a hundred different ways? LOL

cmazza
06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I have a hook and a book, that is as far as I went. I think my yarn was to thin.It wasn't much different to embroidery yarn.

vampyre
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Enjoy! Crochet is great fun.

suban
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
If the yarn is fine you need a thinner hook! Otherwise it becomes floppy - and there's nothing worse than floppy flowers!

cmazza
06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Is it easier to start with a big hook and big yarn?

fabyon
07-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Is it easier to start with a big hook and big yarn?

Yes deffo, I use a hook 5mm and some yarn I got from the art of crochet !

Marie
07-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I bought one of these sets http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crochet-Hook-Zipped-Wallet-Case/dp/B0048CE43K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297083726&sr=8-2 which has 6 of the very small hooks for using wiht threads and very find yarns, plus all of the normal sized hooks for normal wools etc and good value. There are some fab books on the subject - I'd recommend "The Crochet Bible" by Sue Whiting which has step by step instructions with pictures for several different flower designs, £10.49 from Amazon.

It's really not difficult - once you've got your head round the main stiches, doing flowers is just a case of combining them in different patterns. Good luck!
Marie

angela
07-02-2011, 05:52 PM
What a coincidence Marie, the link for the needle kit is actually a lady who has a wool/knitting stall on our market.

Oh yes I'm doing a 1001 flowers lol,

fabyon
07-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I have the crochet bible and it's great but also received today a copy of Crochet 200 Questions Answered (Search Press) and it's invaluable for all those questions the other books don't cover.

craftygee
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I have bought 'The Crochet Bible' as well and this is a very good book that I evetually pick up how to crochet!! I also bought the '200 crochet blocks' and started to make a granny square blanket... the 1st one I have done which gone out of shape, so it wasnt quite a square...lol...and I am trying again with the pattern calls 'chocolate box' and hope I can keep the square shape this time.

craftycat
08-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I have bought 'The Crochet Bible' as well and this is a very good book that I evetually pick up how to crochet!! I also bought the '200 crochet blocks' and started to make a granny square blanket... the 1st one I have done which gone out of shape, so it wasnt quite a square...lol...and I am trying again with the pattern calls 'chocolate box' and hope I can keep the square shape this time.

I looked on Amazon for "200 crochet blocks" and put it on my want list. It is lovely isn't it! If you found granny squares where going out of shape it may be that the chains you work between the sets of trebles were a bit loose. Lots of newcomers have that problem. Case of practice really.

suban
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Mine always had a bit in the middle like a camel's hump when I first started.

craftycat
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Mine always had a bit in the middle like a camel's hump when I first started.

Same reason probably, tension too loose. Worth being aware with crotchet that it can take a while to get the tension right.

cmazza
09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
The largest hook I have is 3.5 mm, would you recommend a larger one for a beginner?

craftygee
09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I looked on Amazon for "200 crochet blocks" and put it on my want list. It is lovely isn't it! If you found granny squares where going out of shape it may be that the chains you work between the sets of trebles were a bit loose. Lots of newcomers have that problem. Case of practice really.

Thank You Craftycat. Yes, the 200 crochet blocks book is lovely and there are so many patterns that I would love to have a go... but I think I should stick with a basic one at the moment and go from ther... and I also think I do have problem with the tensions especially every time when I join the new colour yarn :sweat:,,, but I wont give up!!:wink: as I found crochet is really relaxing!!

suban
09-02-2011, 07:03 PM
The largest hook I have is 3.5 mm, would you recommend a larger one for a beginner?

If you're using double knit then you need 4 mm - 5 mm. Just like knitting. :up: