PDA

View Full Version : Table Cloths

cmazza
16-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Not really the right section but...

I am hoping to make some table cloths for my mum's B&B and I was wondering what fabric to use? I was thinking of cotton or a cotton/linen mix? Has anyone made any table cloths and what fabric did you use?

Thank you x x

suban
16-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Cotton/poly mix is good for washing and ironing. Are you going to decorate them?

LadyKatkin
16-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper to buy them?
I would say consider washing - cotton will crease a lot and need lots of ironing, plus it can be difficult to get rid of stains. Ditto linen, and presumably a mix as well. I know it won't be as nice, but the best tablecloths I have are a nasty polyester with a damask-type pattern. I just shove them in the wash, don't even treat the stains, and they come up clean every time. And I entertain a lot. Just my thoughts. Don't want to put you off cos it would be a nice thing to do.
Kate x

LoobyLou
16-02-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm guessing you would need something that can be washed quite hot in case of spills? Other than that I wouldn't have a clue, sorry

Millburn
16-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Cotton/poly mix is good for washing and ironing.

:mysmilie_497: as a textile scientist; being totally honest; I'd also consider price; as in regular replacement, as nothing really comes up to what people expect in today's world, or, try not being white a nice colour in 65% cotton/35% poly would give you a crisp look, and if coloured will allow for ageing and some discolouration

The 65/35 cotton/poly mix is about perfect for easy ironing and the look/feel of cotton

LoobyLou
16-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Of course you could always go for those HIDEOUS transport cafe type waxed cloths! Eeeeek puts my teeth on edge just thinking about them.

cmazza
16-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I will have a look around for a polycotton mix.

I have had a look around for tablecloths but the furniture in my parents B&B is antique and the table sizes are strange, I can't find any tablecloths that would look good, one side would have a 30 cm drop while the other a 3 cm drop.

cmazza
16-02-2011, 11:14 PM
:mysmilie_497: as a textile scientist; being totally honest; I'd also consider price; as in regular replacement, as nothing really comes up to what people expect in today's world, or, try not being white a nice colour in 65% cotton/35% poly would give you a crisp look, and if coloured will allow for ageing and some discolouration

The 65/35 cotton/poly mix is about perfect for easy ironing and the look/feel of cotton

Thanks Millburn for the advice, unfortunately they have just redecorated. They chose to keep the red carpet (large room - v. expensive to replace) and have gone with white walls with a black and white feature wallpaper. I couldn't do black or red, so it has to be white.

suban
17-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Why not black or red? Especially with white serviettes - would look smart!

suban
28-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Our local market sells very heavy poly/cotton sheeting - £1 per metre single bed width, £2 per metre double bed width.

cmazza
28-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks Suban, I picked up some white polycotton/cotton mix at the weekend. Just need some space and peace and quiet to make them now.

cmazza
28-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Here are some pictures of the re-decorated dining room.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/clairemazza/Mum%20and%20Dad%20BB/diningroomre-size.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/clairemazza/Mum%20and%20Dad%20BB/diningroomre-size1.jpg

It needs some finishing touches and a blind.

suban
28-02-2011, 05:19 PM
It looks lovely - see what you mean about all the tables being different!