PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Craft Robo

Granny Penny
01-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Mine has not yet arrived but I found these hints and tips

http://ucutathome.com/blog/silhouette-sd-tips-tricks/

LadyKatkin
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Today's the day GP! I actually got mine set up yesterday (with help from Graphtec and hubby) as I am using Windows 7 and needed a different driver. The instructions are very dodgy translations from the Japanese, so I downloaded the Silhouette software, 'had a bit of a play' (a la Leonie) and managed to join my text and cut out a couple of names with astonishing ease and effect. I'm really pleased with it. I decided to buy the machine because it was cheaper than 3 Cricut font cartridges and I'm too tight to buy a Gypsy and wanted to join text. And now Cricut won't let us use the other software, whatever it was, it seemed the only way to get more fonts and I think it will be great. I do think my eldest will nick it when she goes to uni later this year (I think she's headed for Bangor, lucky so-and-so) cos it just works with a laptop and is very dainty. Really it's brilliant and we will probably soon be wanting one of the new Silhouettey models with the optical eye, I expect. There's always something to aspire to!
Have fun with it when it comes. I still think we should start a little club for beginners though. Stick together!
Kate x
PS Let me know if you need that driver. (It's for 64 bit)

jenty
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
A very useful page, GP, thank you

Granny Penny
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I thought text would be my first thing Jenty so it looked useful.

Kate, as far as I am aware I have Windows 7 (my computer was new at Christmas) but I don't know where to look to find out if it is 64 bit or not. It is amazing that having been away from the workplace (and helpful techy people who were happy to teach me about computers) for 5 or 6 years I am so out of touch with things like this.

LadyKatkin
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Here you go, GP. Click on start menu and right click on computer, go to properties at the bottom and then look at System and it will tell you if you're 32 or 64 bit. (I thought I was 32 so it was a bit of a surprise!)
here (http://downloads.graphtecgb.com/craftrobo/CraftROBOdriver.zip)'s the driver link anyway, just in case you need it
(Hope it works! You'll probably need a driver anyway, even if not that one lol)
Kate x

Granny Penny
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks Kate - it's 64 bit. I did think I would need help getting going with the Robo but expected it to be after I had received it:grin:

LadyKatkin
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
well it saves frustration when it won't recognise the 'printer'. Just do the install, and when it gives up the ghost you can add your driver. You won't have to contact Graphtec. They got back to me really quickly, but it does save aggro (and I've had quite a lot of that today, one way or another! Craft ROBO not even coming into it lol!)
Kate x

Granny Penny
24-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Driver now added and I'm off to find You Tube tutorials. All hints and tips welcome!

Paul Thomason
25-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Granny Penny

Here are some basic tips for using electronic cutting machines.

The sticky surface of the cutting mat will loose its 'stickyness' if left exposed to the air for to long so remember to put the plastic cover sheet back on when not in use.

When the 'stickyness' wears off you can use products like crafters companion stick & spray (the purple one)
this will extend the life of the cutting mat for quite a long time but I find whilst in constant use I have to re-apply the spray after 10>12 sheets have been cut.

Always test cut new card or paper to make sure that you don't cut to shallow or worse still to deep.

Take care with the cutting blade holder as it has made from plastic and has a weak threaded joint which is prone to snap during heavy use (or when the blade is set to deep)

After a bit of use check the little nylon wheels that guide the cutting mat through the machine as a build up of glue will affect performance (you will see that the wheels look dirty) just give them a gentle clean with a non-abrasive glue remover on some cotton wool and they will come up like new.

I hope this helps

Paul

Granny Penny
25-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Thank you so much Paul. Those are real trail and error hint and it's good not to have to go through the "trial" bit. I am usually very good at picking up new software but this includes a new machine and, basically, fear slows me down.:mysmilie_486:

As always, though, in a short space of time I will be wondering what I worried about.

dyzni
25-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Thank you GP, I've just popped the site onto my favouites for a read later.
One tip I picked up (can't remember where) was to only peel off the inner part of the protective mat cover leaving a strip approx 1cm wide at each egde of the mat - this apparently stops the guide wheels getting sticky.

Granny Penny
25-04-2011, 01:47 PM
So much for thinking I had downloaded the driver successfully - I hadn't and it isn't recognising the machine. I can see from googling the problem that many people are having the same one ... grrr. Off to see if I can find out anything else.