PDA

View Full Version : can't wait to sew this

angela
13-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Mum treat me today for taking her to the dentist for new teeth for the last 5 weeks, so I thought before I spend it on silly things like food, I would get something proper, sooooo I went to the local craft/sewing shop just for a hem gauge and spotted these kits for bags from www.hambleandjemima.co.uk I got the small doggie shoulder bag kit, it's right up my street, a bit pricey at £20 but the pattern can be used again and again and as there's some gorge fabrics out there I know I'll be making some lovely bags for pressies. can you tell I'm excited lol

Wellington
13-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh they look really nice Angela - & that's coming from a complete non-sewer! An all materials included fun kit to play with & have a go at something different

angela
13-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi Welly it was the dogs that did it, been looking for a bag like this for ages, I have assigned sunday and monday to play lol

Granny Penny
13-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Super site Angela. Looking forward to seeing the finished bag.

Millburn
13-04-2011, 03:20 PM
treat money is for treats, and sewing is guilt free unlike chocolate; enjoy :D

angela
13-04-2011, 04:19 PM
wish I could find some similar fabrics especially the dog one, as a couple of my friends are dog lovers, if any of you come across any please give me a shout. thanks

Granny Penny
13-04-2011, 04:44 PM
There is this Scottie Dog one Angela http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARKE-CLARKE-CURTAIN-FABRIC-SCOTTIE-DOGS-TAUPE-PER-M-/110670714180?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item19c47d1544

Granny Penny
13-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Also here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Curtain-Fabric-Scotty-Dog-Design-Very-Cute-/110673851320?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item19c4acf3b8 with a better picture and I think this is the one they are using http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRESTIGIOUS-CURTAIN-FABRIC-DOGS-IVORY-CREAM-PER-METRE-/400192431289?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item5d2d53e4b9

I wish they weren't quite so expensive or I would get one to see how they make them up and, as you say, to use the patter on other bags.

I put "curtain fabric dogs" into Ebay by the way and I already had the scottie dog one on my wish list!

angela
13-04-2011, 05:32 PM
I could kiss you GP that is exactley what I was looking for, I don't mind paying a bit if I make it for pressies, not sure if I can but if I can I will make you a cope of the pattern and the instructions if you like, the whole kit cost £20 but it might be cheaper if we just get the fabric, It's lovely fabric btw

Granny Penny
13-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Glad to be of help Angela. I think you will get 1.5 to 2 bags out of a metre and it is £8 a metre. It depends whether it is self lined or whether they use a matching self coloured fabric, which may be cheaper. I like the fastening; it should be very easy to do. Actually, looking at them I bet the lining matches the fastening loop. Some of the more expensive ones seem to have the handles cut as part of the body which would take more material and they have a pocket too.

angela
13-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi GP in the kit you get about 1/2 metre of the dog fabric and the same in a beautiful floral fabric, a label, a fastening button and 3 decorative buttons, I hope to have a crack at it at the weekend the main bag part is in fact printed on a double a4 sheet of paper if that helps

Little Jan
14-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Oh this sounds like fun,saw some hand made bags at the market a while back and the price:omg:my daughter is a shoe and bag fanatic,don't know where she gets the shoe addiction from:smirk:so I might look for some patterns online and have a go at making her some bags.can't wait to see your finished bags Angie

craftycat
14-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Tempted. So tempted. Didn't actually think the prices were that bad for a decent bag. I've made patchwork bags for myself in the past and spent up to £15 on fabric and fastenings.

angela
14-04-2011, 02:35 PM
They are very nice quality, they had some made up in the shop, might be a week or 2 before I get on with it, gotta finish the Cath Kidston one first.

Granny Penny
14-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Just watching Debbie Shore and she said there is a whole day of sewing next week. It sounds like the POD on Tuesday night is a Singer Sewing Machine on offer. She was making a denim Union Jack bag and forgot to stich in the handles (there but for the grace of God:giggle:). I am looking forward to them bringing more sewing to C & C. Debbie keeps mentioning Stick and Spray and Stick and Stay (which she irons) and I can't work out if these are the same as the crafting ones.

craftycat
14-04-2011, 07:16 PM
They are very nice quality, they had some made up in the shop, might be a week or 2 before I get on with it, gotta finish the Cath Kidston one first.

ooooo! Cath Kidston does bags to make? Something else to check out.

angela
14-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah if you go on Amazon and search SEW Cath Kidston, you get the book with patterns and the material ready cut out to make a bag I think even with postage it was only about £7, I've half made the bag and it's pretty easy even for a novice like me

Rentochops
14-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah if you go on Amazon and search SEW Cath Kidston, you get the book with patterns and the material ready cut out to make a bag I think even with postage it was only about £7, I've half made the bag and it's pretty easy even for a novice like me

I've got a Cath Kidston book with projects in, fancy this though thanks Angela x

Rentochops
14-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Just watching Debbie Shore and she said there is a whole day of sewing next week. It sounds like the POD on Tuesday night is a Singer Sewing Machine on offer. She was making a denim Union Jack bag and forgot to stich in the handles (there but for the grace of God:giggle:). I am looking forward to them bringing more sewing to C & C. Debbie keeps mentioning Stick and Spray and Stick and Stay (which she irons) and I can't work out if these are the same as the crafting ones.

Yes they are GP, I've used Stick and Stay for taking up a hem (beats double sided tape)!

iggy
14-04-2011, 11:37 PM
wish I could find some similar fabrics especially the dog one, as a couple of my friends are dog lovers, if any of you come across any please give me a shout. thanks

try here
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=dog+fabric&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

Granny Penny
16-04-2011, 08:35 AM
It was interesting to see that the day after you gave us the link to this site Angela they updated it and a large number of extra kits went on.