PDA

View Full Version : Big Sh*t Express!!

Ephemera
25-04-2011, 08:35 PM
My DH's words not mine,

It keeps on jamming! I hate the bleeding thing. Haven't used it that much. It's fine with the Bigz dies I have but any of the wafer thin dies, it either doesn't cut cleanly or it jams, then it takes forever to unjam it. Also trying to emboss slightly thicker card seems to be a major problem. It is jammed at the moment and a frustrated DH is trying to sort the bliddy thing out now.

I was thinking of getting some nesties but the rate I'm going I think I will have thrown it out of the window by then and being the thin dies can't see them working in the damn thing.

I was thinking of getting the vagabond at some point but I'm put of by it being motorised like the Big Sh*t.

Any thoughts or advice on the best/most reliable die cutting machine!

Feeling very grumpy and need of a serious chocolate fix to calm me down!

:headbang: :headbang::headbang:

vampyre
25-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Mine has never given a seconds trouble cutting or embossing with any dies or folders. I use the adapter plate to state the obvious and I have the silicon mat that came with the texturz plates. Get on to wherever it was bought pronto.

Ephemera
25-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I haven't got the adapter plate, but I use the multi purpose platform that I purchased separately for using with/or trying to use with thinner dies. I also have the tan embossing mats. so I'm sure I have the right kit and am following the correct sandwich, so think it must be a duff one!!!

Rentochops
25-04-2011, 09:15 PM
that's rubbish, Ephemera, I can see the attraction of the motorised machines but maybe a Grand Calibur would be the answer, I haven't found a crafter who doesn't like theirs yet.

lee
25-04-2011, 10:05 PM
sorry to hear this Ephemera how long have you had it? I would contact the British Sissix and have a chat with them! This is making me nervious having just got the vagabond I did resist cos of the thought of moters not working...

Ephemera
25-04-2011, 10:43 PM
that's rubbish, Ephemera, I can see the attraction of the motorised machines but maybe a Grand Calibur would be the answer, I haven't found a crafter who doesn't like theirs yet.
Will have a look at the Grand Calibur I think, prefer the idea of a manual one now!

sorry to hear this Ephemera how long have you had it? I would contact the British Sissix and have a chat with them! This is making me nervious having just got the vagabond I did resist cos of the thought of moters not working...

Don't worry Lee I'm sure I've just got a duff one! I only got it in August and I haven't used it that much. I've just tried it with a bigz die and the normal cutting plates and it got jammed again, managed to some how get it through, and it made an awful noise, so will ring sizzix tomorrow as I think it is definitely not right!

Rentochops
25-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I would love a Grand Calibur, but I've a Cricut gathering dust, I do use my Cuttlebug a lot though, think wedding would be off if I bought one atm, maybe a wedding gift...or not? :)

agelesscraft
25-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I have Big Shot Express had it over a year never jammed yet it cuts nesties no problem, The Grand Calibur looks good for the bigger nesties but dont think you can used the Bigz dies in it.

lee
25-04-2011, 11:40 PM
You have only had it 8 months or so, that dreadful...yep it should be sorted by them and tell them your on a fourm...and we (I) want to know how you are treated if the are funny with you at all! Good luck!xx

I couldn't cope with cricut digi machine thingies, I keep seeing them on C&C and they stop my brain working they look so complex. Having the vagabond was a big choice it being motorised!

Victoria
26-04-2011, 12:38 AM
The only thing I can add is that I have the GC and I love it. However, I haven't got any Bigz Dies.

Ephemera
26-04-2011, 06:16 AM
I would love a Grand Calibur, but I've a Cricut gathering dust, I do use my Cuttlebug a lot though, think wedding would be off if I bought one atm, maybe a wedding gift...or not? :)

Ha ha,

Scrap the wedding list ROC and have a craft list instead, and put your most wanted on it. That would be fab wouldn't it I'm sure your future DH wouldn't mind! :giggle:

CraftyRich
27-04-2011, 09:55 PM
We've never had a problem with any of the Express machines we sold (they are now discontinued) but I have heard of them going wrong. The Vagabond has a stonger motor and being the second electric machine produced by Sizzix I would imagine they would probably have sorted out any niggles by now. The Calibur is a great machine but only if you never want to use any Sizzix Bigz or Original dies, we've also heard of a number of plates breaking which is odd. The Big Shot Pro is the best of all worlds and is manual too so no motors to go wrong, although we're still waiting for a decent set of adapter plates to use the Grand Nesties dies with ease.

cmazza
27-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Really the Big Shot Express is discontinued? I got mine last November for my birthday. I haven't had a problem with it jamming, I get annoyed with all the having to put shims in. I often get the depth of shim wrong, so it doesn't cut.

CraftyRich
28-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Top be fair that's probably going to be an issue with most machines, including all of the manual ones. I don't think any of the machines are produced to particularly tight tolerances so there is always going to be some variation from machine to machine and add to that the state of wear and warpness of the cutting pads and the endless variety of cardstock and other materials that people cut then it's not suprising there are issues with exactly what sandwich is best for what. Wouldn't life be boring if it everything was simple :wink:

With regards to the Express, it's not been discontinued because it was bad, it's just been replaced by the Vagabond (albeit in a different price bracket!).

pyjama princess
28-04-2011, 10:36 PM
..... The Vagabond has a stonger motor and being the second electric machine produced by Sizzix I would imagine they would probably have sorted out any niggles by now. ......

I think this lady would disagree with you there rich LOL!!!

http://kath-allthatglitter.blogspot.com/2011/04/shame-on-you.html

CraftyRich
29-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I think this lady would disagree with you there rich LOL!!!

http://kath-allthatglitter.blogspot.com/2011/04/shame-on-you.html

Probably, but then she is complaining about the customer service rather than the machine. I also assume she is moaning about customer service from US Sizzix rather than Ellison Europe who, in my experience have been pretty good. The few problems we've had with their products have been sorted out quickly without any fuss.

CraftyK
30-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Well I've never had to deal with US Sizzix Rich, but if you're saying that in your experience Ellison Europe are better, than heaven help us all ! After the downright fiasco with them last year (during the sale) I for one would never deal with them again, no matter how much discount they are offerring.

Only after multiple phone calls, twice copying and supplying invoices/notes, after receiving the incorrect item and being charged for the priviledge. The only way I finally got all my monies refunded was to tell them I would take them to the small claims court. It's bad enough not receiving items ordered, but to send out the wrong one and then when it's returned to also expect the customer to pay not only the return postage but also the original postage is outrageous.

I like their products, and have many of them, but I would never buy directly from them again.

CraftyRich
30-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Do you know, as soon as I hit send on that I thought I might be opening a big can of worms. I remember it was a shambles, but I think that was down to a very poorly planned sale and then them being inundated with complaints. I still think that under normal circumstances they deal pretty well with customer problems, well they have done for us so far. But I take your point.

Ephemera
02-05-2011, 08:40 AM
:headbang::headbang:After waiting in for two consecutive days for the courier to collect my Big shot I should be finally getting a replacement from the Internet shop where I purchased it tomorrow hopefully.

As I'm rather nervous about it jamming again I thought I would make sure that I was definitely using the correct sandwich.

I had been using the multi purpose platform I bought separately but I think I will buy the adaptor and use with the essentials platform as this is seems to be what other people use. I have the tan mats can't remember what make they are though so would it be better to get the texture pad instead???

So apologises as I know this has been asked before but I can't find the post what is the correct sandwich for cutting and then embossing marianne dies and spellbinders. Also is it safe to use thick cardboard or chipboard in embossing folders?

Thanks in advance

X

Ephemera
04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Today I have finally received my replacement machine, well actually Mycraftstore sent a Big shot instead of the express. My blood was boiling yesterday as after being reassured that a replacement machine was sent out on Thurs I rang to make sure yesterday that it was definitely being delivered, to be told that no it hadn't been sent out. I was livid these customer service people just seem to lie and say they have done something when they haven't. I told customer services that I would name and shame them on this forum as I have had to wait in for four days, two days for a courier to take my return ( who still has yet to arrive!) I wish I bought one from CVC in the first place!

Well at least it has turned up, but as it is a cheaper model I don't know whether to I ring to say I want a refund of the difference. I have just tried it and the dies go through so much easier than ever they did on the express, definitely was a dud. Just wish I hadn't had to get keep ringing mycraftstore and complaining. I shall never order from them again as I don't trust them now.

Anyway I think I much prefer this manual machine, its slightly smaller I think and can't believe how effortlessly the dies go through. So finally a result!