PDA

View Full Version : Any quilters out there?

Rentochops
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
If you do this craft I would love to know.

Pam
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I've never done any but used to go to a needlework class and there were lots of beautiful creations being made there.

Don't think I've got the patience.

LorraineJ
02-11-2008, 12:13 PM
A friend has made some fabulous things over the years (she is a member of this forum). Perhaps she could be persuaded to show off some of her creations. I have been very impressed with some of the fabrics she has painted herself.

artysam
02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I have " dabbled" just made my dad a comforter blanket type thing to put over his legs while watching telly!! will have to take a picture of it.

Prudence2
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I am a quilter. Have made about 12 different types of quilt. My original 'sampler' quilt I made with egyptian fabrics, long before it became a trend in paper crafting.

I have also made log cabins and bears paws quilts. A couple of welsh whole cloth quilts, which I particularly like. I have one I made which is entirely of geese in rows, and a couple of picture type quilts including one armish. It is a great thing to do - but believe me it costs as much, if not more than card making!!

I have a huge stash of japanese fabrics, which I am not prepared to cut up, and a couple of antique kiminos.:D

Rentochops
02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I am a quilter. Have made about 12 different types of quilt. My original 'sampler' quilt I made with egyptian fabrics, long before it became a trend in paper crafting.

I have also made log cabins and bears paws quilts. A couple of welsh whole cloth quilts, which I particularly like. I have one I made which is entirely of geese in rows, and a couple of picture type quilts including one armish. It is a great thing to do - but believe me it costs as much, if not more than card making!!

I have a huge stash of japanese fabrics, which I am not prepared to cut up, and a couple of antique kiminos.:D

Can we see some please Prudence, I have one from QVC which I love, but I expect yours are much lovlier!

Rentochops
02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I have " dabbled" just made my dad a comforter blanket type thing to put over his legs while watching telly!! will have to take a picture of it.

..when you have the time - we'd love to see this too (as you can see I am interested in taking this up)...

lovetoshop
14-04-2009, 03:47 PM
oohh now, this i am very interested in ........as i have a brand new sewing machine that i havent touched yet but im sure it has a quilting foot, although i dont know where to start, any ideas prudence? would it be easier getting a book, or looking online for ideas and instructional tutorials? you know, like youtube and that

i realise this is an old post but i just wanted to ask what you thought, and i love the sound of your quilts you've made and the two kimonos, lol i love the orient, hubby and i plan to visit there one day!!!!!!! i can dream!

Muffintop
16-05-2009, 10:58 AM
If any of you peeps have Sky please check out Rural TV and the Quilt In A Day Programme. (Channel 287 I think). It's on a Friday night at 7pm and repeated Sunday morning at 11am. It's a proper American Quilt programme - Yay! Never thought I'd see that ever on Brit TV. The lady is Elenor Burns and she does strip quilting. I'm not sure about some of her patterns but she's brilliant at teaching the basics and I've learned a lot from watching her. She also has a website with tutorials on.

sheilaj
25-09-2009, 04:24 PM
thanks! have sky+'d it

Muffintop
07-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I love her enthusiam but not always the fabrics she chooses!!!!!!!! :down:

She's really opened up quilting via ways of the strip method and I've got a couple of grids so when (when) I get time I'm all set lol :happy:

This company sells them and were really helpful when I emailed them for some advice.

http: www.creativegrids.com/

Hope my link works.

Happy quilting!

craftycat
19-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I have done a lot of patchwork quilting in the past, mainly cushions and wall hangings. At the moment I am working on some preprinted panels, celtic cushion designs and a big Christmas wall hanging. Just a case of layering up and hand stitching round the design.

My favourite quilt type though is log cabin. I even have a pattern for a knitted square in log cabin style

dizzyjoan
06-03-2011, 06:18 PM
If you do this craft I would love to know.

I have been saving old clothes etc with a view to start quilting; just got to dust off my sewing machine and Im off:rock:

suban
06-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Done cushion and have a bag of scraps for when I get all the other fabric goods done.

Muffintop
17-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I caught up with a quilting friend I have'nt seen in an age at the weekend and she makes quilts by hand. She showed me her latest ones and they are absolutely fantastic and really whetted my appetite again for quilting. She's made a lovely cat one but in brown and fawn for a male friend and it looked spot on.:140:

I've just indulged myself on the Tabby Cat quilt site with some cat panels and the celtic knot panel in a gorgous gold. These will be the centre for cushions I think. They arrived this morning and the service from this company is excellent. I might even get to a quilting festival this year.

Reminder to myself; you are supposed to be saving money and not spending...you are supposed to be saving money and not spending...:139:

keiko1
17-01-2012, 02:08 PM
It's something I would like to try but wouldn't like to mess it up and waste my money...
A trip up the library may be in line....

keiko1
17-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Had a look on our channels on sky and we haven't got RuralTV channel :( will have to hunt around and see if it has a frequency number

Muffintop
18-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Had a look on our channels on sky and we haven't got RuralTV channel :( will have to hunt around and see if it has a frequency number

Well, they seem to have vanished now from Sky as I haven't seen them for ages. Used to be a really good channel, lots of Bluegrass music, cowboy stuff and quilting plus cooking. If it has gone it's really sad as it was a nice individual channel that was different.