Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there many jewellery makers on here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are there many jewellery makers on here?

I'm interested in how many of you make jewellery, I've just started mainly because Sarah on C&C made it look so easy and produced some lovely items. I bought 4 boxes of beads from Joanna Sheen quite a few years ago, they were in the special offers section and looked so pretty I just had to have them, they've been sitting in a drawer all this time, so I bought some findings and have made some pretty necklaces, earrings and bracelets. I wish I knew where Joanna got the beads from as they are gorgeous, they are only acrylic bicones but have lots of facets and really sparkle, I think I paid about 99p for each box and there are over 600 beads in each box, could do with a few more boxes at that price. I wonder if Joanna would remember where they came from if I emailed her.
    "Many will walk in and out of your life,
    But only true friends will leave paw prints in your heart."

Those who believe a dog has no soul have never looked in the eyes of a German Shepherd.

Post Thanks / Like

I make jewellery, not sure what beads you are talking about, so can't help there I'm afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Shepherdess, I don't make jewellery, but my latest absolute obsession is hat pins. I've bought all my beads from Ebay at very reasonable prices. There is just so much choice on there, I find it useful to narrow down the search with quite specific tersm such as 4mm bicones. I have bought from both UK sellers and China, with prompt efficient serivice in all cases.

Post Thanks / Like

I make jewellery too, but beadweaving and lampworking (I have all the set up to make my own glass beads, you know how we are), and sometimes embroidery. I can recommend places to get lovely beads from, but they won't be acrylic, and they certainly won't cost 99p (which is a huge shame!).
    I'm going to suggest you look in the children's section at the Range, if you have one nearby, or have a look in Hobbycraft. They always used to sell big bags of acrylic beads.
    I just googled and found this site, but there are others.
    That Sarah has quite a lot to be responsible for, I think! She nearly got me into chain maille last week, except I can't take on something new. I spurned Sheena's Paint Fusion for the same reason so I have to be consistent, lol!
    Have fun!
    Kate x

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of people buying cheap beaded jewellery from Primark, Claire's etc & using the lovely beads from them to make their own stuff.

Loooooove chainmaille, have bought some technique books & am gonna give it a whirl lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken up jewellery making too & find it really relaxing. One of the first things I made was a beaded chain mail bracelet (except I didn't know it was called chain mail lol!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your replies, Dips I've succumbed to ebay and some of the gorgeous beads on there, I could spend an absolute fortune on pretty sparkly beads. LadyKatkin I know what you mean about the chain maille, I am so tempted to give it a go, I just love the look, I'm tempted to buy the set from Sarah just to get the book of different effects you can create, it is a bit pricey though so it may have to wait. Juzzab I had a thought that it might be worth having a look in the charity shops for some jewellery with lots of beads on, I might get OH to take me to have a look the next time I feel up to going out.
    I find making jewellery is something I can do on days when I don't feel well enough to get out of bed, it doesn't take up much room and means I can still create something when I can't make cards. I've taken some photo's of the first pieces I made I shall have to try and be brave and post them on here so you can all have a laugh.
    "Many will walk in and out of your life,
    But only true friends will leave paw prints in your heart."

Those who believe a dog has no soul have never looked in the eyes of a German Shepherd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherdess View Post
    I've taken some photo's of the first pieces I made I shall have to try and be brave and post them on here
    I'm looking forward to seeing them, I'm sure they'll make me smile at your creativeness but no laughing will occur :)

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has taken up making jewlery to save her money on all the teacher gifts she has to do at Christmas.She has some lovely marano(sp)glass pendants that she got from ebay for 10p each from china, she has strung themonto leather cord, once in nice box they look as good as any more expensive item you would get in a store, she also gets some lovely glass beads from a shop in town some are bound in stirling silver at only 99p she managed to make her friend a lovely necklace with just a few of these with one large centre bead as the focal point it looked like it cost a fortune, and as she had made it especially to go with her mates outfit she was over the moon.proving that sometimes hand made may be cheaper but can bring more joy then a more expensive shop bought item. I have also bought sale bits from primark to make things with, last week I got a necklace with nearly 300 beads on for 50p.
    Looking forward to seeing what you have made Shepherdess
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - hope we can maybe expand the jewellery bit! I started after seeing Beaders Companion and at the moment just can't resisit buying pretty beads. I've started by making illusion necklaces - pretty and effective and also very economical. Jewellery making is just as bad as cardmaking etc - have to be forced to make instead of just stroking the pretty things!! Mind you there's a real sense of satisfaction in creating something that will last. I love deciding what to wear then rattling up a necklace to go with it!!!