Thread: Not strictly scrapbooking but any suggestions would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not strictly scrapbooking but any suggestions would be appreciated

Some of you may have seen the wedding and retirement memory books I posted in the here's one I made earlier thread. I love making them and seeing the reaction they get when people open them up and read the personal messages.

Well tonight I got a message from one of the women I have made them for saying she has been asked if I will make one. Doing the book and pages isnt a problem, its the why it has been asked for and I think this will be the hardest one I will ever do and I so want to get it right.

The book is for staff at one of the hospitals in the trust I work for as a memory book dedicated to a nurse who has died suddenly. She was only 35 and a mum to three young children and obviously loved by her colleagues. Im going to make the book this weekend but what I would like is to have a nice poem or maybe song words on the first page. I didnt know the nurse and I dont want to intrude on everyone's grief by asking delicate questions so I was hoping you lovely ladies and gents may have a few suggestions. I wanted to avoid anything too religious or too sentimental but wanted something that would well not make you smile when you read it but, bearing in mind it is for her family, would when the time is right, let them know that their wife, mum, daughter was special to all those who have written in the book.

I hope Im explaining it, I know what I mean but Im having trouble expressing it at the moment and I really want this to be just right so that it can hopefully bring her family some comfort seeing just how much she was loved.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

You must be so proud to be asked. Why don't you go to all her friends and ask them each to write a short message about her and how she affected their lives. You could even put them streight into the book or recreate them in different fonts. Hopefully then the creativity will come from them and you will get a better idea of the lady.

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing this in the mix - not sure it's what you need, but I remembered it from the funeral of a young man I went to some years ago
    It's one of those things that seem quite blunt initially but may actually be very comforting after a little time has passed. I liked that it was about feeling the same about the person, even though they can't see her anymore.
    Hope it helps
    Kate x
    My blog: tattersandfrills.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

This was in my Mum's purse, and she'd made Julia (more than just a paid carer, she did stuff for Mum as her friend) read it too her the night she went into hospital for the last time, I found it the day after; and it was on the back page of her funeral service sheet

Though I am dead
    grieve not for me with tears
    Think not of death
    with sorrowing and tears:
    I am so near that every tear you shed
    touches and tortures me
    though you think me dead.
    But when you sing
    and laugh in glad delight
    my soul is lifted upward to the light
    Laugh and be glad
    for all that life is giving
    and I, though dead
    will share your joy in living.

Anonymous

It did/does make me cry, but it does also seem to help

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your replies. When I logged on tonight I had a pm from Granny Penny who has written me the most beautiful poem. Today I spoke to one of Debra's colleagues about her and her children and what they wanted from the book and the words Granny Penny has written echo just what she said to me about why they wanted the memory book. If its ok with Penny I will post the poem she has written but will let her ok it first. I dont usually have a problem with writing personal poems and words, I do this in most scrapbooks and memory books I make but just could not get my head around this one.

I think I may scatter the poems through the book, interspacing them with the blank pages her colleagues are going to write on.

Once again thank you for your help. This forum is simply the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see what a difficult task you've got, it's lovely to be asked but quite a responsibility to get it right. Don't be afraid to ask family and friends questions about her, it's usually very helpful for them to be able to talk, they'll all have great stories for you. If she had small children maybe someone could get hold of some of their drawings of mummy for you, they'll love to look back on how they saw her. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide it'll be cherished and appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the poem Granny Penny sent me today. I am sure you will agree that it is beautiful and the sentiments expressed are truly wonderful.

The memory of you brings a smile to our faces
    The nurses and doctors who each worked with you
    We look back at your life and how ours interlaces
    Knowing we’re the richer for the person we knew.

You loved your dear family, who share in our grief
    But they will look back and know that we found
    Your thirty-five years on this earth seemed too brief
    Yet you made such a mark on those all around

So farewell, for now, to a friend we all cared for
    To someone who shared in our life’s ups and downs
    And yes, it’s our wish is that this time could have been more
    But our memories of you makes smiles of our frowns.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a beautiful poem

Post Thanks / Like

I did say to Morgana to tweek it if she wanted to and I would echo Milburn's comments on the "Thank you all" thread I love the fact that I can get help, reassurance and a boost to my confidence from all the lovely people on here but equally it is so important to feel you can offer help too.
    Think this links to my Pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/chucklemouse/