Thread: where is everybody?

craftycat Guest

Default where is everybody?

Come on folks, there must be more charities around who would be glad to receive cards!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you not have a local "shoebox " organiser who sends shoebox out to the troops (Afghan atm ) ? I send all my spare cards to a local organiser who sends about 30 boxes a month out ( not all cards btw lol )

http://www.operationshoebox.co.uk/ have a look on there see if anyone is local

craftycat Guest

Thanks, didn't know about that one. I sent off a load of cards for troops to use themselves a few years back but think the organiser must have stopped as I can't find any info now.

I've contacted the local co ordinator but what they want, according to the site, is a shoebox filled with goodies that includes a card. Not quite what I was looking for. Thanks anyway though. Siily craftycat, you've already said "not all cards" in your post!
    Last edited by craftycat; 22-02-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Craftycat, I think this will be a slow burner but once the word gets around that a lovely group of crafters want to donate smashing cards to raise funds it will take off.

I think we are waiting for Morgana123 to give us contact details so we can send stuff to help her drop-in in Goole as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Crafty Cat!

I would love to receive some of your cards! I am holding a charity coffee morning next month to raise money for my little boy's rare genetic condition: Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.

We are running the coffee morning at Rochdale Town Hall on Friday 15th June 2012, to raise funds for FOP Research, The money from the Coffee morning will all go to the Oxford University FOP Research department again. We need to raise £120, 000 by January 2013 or the research programme will be significantly cut / closed down.

FOP is a rare genetic disorder, affecting only around 45 people in the UK. Over time, the sufferers will grow a second skeleton, effectively turning them into human statues. There is an article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...cles-bone.html about a friend of ours who is also suffering from the same condition. Her mum has been amazing at raising money this year to help us reach our target to maintain the Oxford Research department. The outcomes of FOP research also have positive implications for the understanding of other conditions such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and heterotopic ossification. Postoperative surgeries can result in heterotopic ossification (bone formation) which may affect people having hip replacement surgery, injured military personnel and sport people with injuries

Last year the coffee morning made an incredible £1400 but with times being more difficult I don't think we can hope to match that, but I am still hopeful we will make some contribution to the Research team.

I know this is a big ask since the lovely folk at Royal Mail have just made a ridiculous price hike, but if people we able to donate just half a dozen before the 15th June, that would be amazing!

If you would like further information about how the money will be spent or about the condition, just ask. I'm not sure how to get my address to anyone who can help, so maybe a more experienced poster could advise?

Many thanks for reading

Helen

www.friendsofoliver.com
    www.fopaction.co.uk
    www.ifopa.org

P.S Any ladies who live in or near Rochdale are welcome to come along!!! Friday 15th June 10am - 12:30pm Rochdale Town Hall. £2.50 including refreshments and entry raffle! Lots of lovely things to buy!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Could you pm with where to send?
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also like to send you some cards if you send a private message with the details. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Combat stress is a wonderful organisation and until they received some money from Help for Heroes they struggled to keep their hospitals going. I have a great deal of time for them http://www.combatstress.org.uk

There is also Help for Homeless veterans too https://www.facebook.com/Home1ess/info
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out

Post Thanks / Like

Now they are right up my street Comfrey - forces charities deserve help especially with governments breaking the covenant!
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515: