Thread: The Drop In Sessions Start Friday

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Drop In Sessions Start Friday

I just wanted to use this section to let those of you who have been kind enough to donate cards and stash (and you have been so generous) know that the drop in sessions are beginning this week. We still havent got a permanent room sorted at the hospital yet but until it happens Macmillian nurses will be taking over a suite of rooms in the department where I work.

So today I spent my 30 minute lunch break spending the money raised so far from the cards on some niceties (yes my made up word) ready for Friday. As we want those who are coming not to feel like it is yet another hospital appointment we have "acquired" some easy chairs and a coffee table for the rooms they will be using at the moment. We all had a chat amongst ourselves and we thought that rather than the macmillan nurses having to keep popping to the kitchen to get drinks for the people who came it would be nice if they were to hand in the room. Unfortunately there wasnt enough in the kitty for an all singing all dancing drinks machine that you just put a pod in (and those pods dont come cheap either) so we decided upon a filter coffee maker, some beautiful bone china mugs (cos who wants a tiny cup and saucer) and of course the coffee to go with the machine. A new tea pot (and have you tried to find those lately at a decent price) and last but certainly not least some nice biccies. We have also insured the coffee machine against breakdown for three years. Im going to raid my stash of doilies tonight for the biccy plates and take in a cloth to cover the coffee table.

We know its not ideal but we just wanted to get things up and running as soon as we could and while we wait for decisions to be made about who goes where, pays for what etc etc then people are not getting the help they need and deserve and at the end of the day that is all we nurses and healthcares care about, that our patients receive not only the best care possible but all the information they need and that they know they have somewhere to reach out to for support.

So fingers crossed that Friday goes well. The card making and fund raising will continue - well the coffee and tea have to keep flowing lol and when we eventually get our new permanent home then we will use the next batch of funds raised to get anything else needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Morgana123. It sounds like it is going to be a boon. Do you still need cards sending?
    Janet
    'Misspent youth, overspent middle age'

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone wants to send cards they would be most appreciated. My youngest daughter decided today that shop bought biccies wouldnt be good enough for the first drop in session so she set to and baked a very large tray of flapjack, brought it to work ready for tomorrow (Im not there in the morning) along with a few more of my paper doilies. The staff were most disappointed when she told them to keep their hands off as they really love her flapjack.

Fingers crossed tomorrow goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Jacqui - seemed to have missed this post yesterday. I'm so glad you're making real progress with your plans. A drop in centre must be so comforting for people and a nice way to have a chat with others in the same position away from a formal hospital environment.I'm sure it helps them a lot. Bless your daughter for her kindness baking her flapjacks. I'll pop you some more cards in the post in a few days x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jacqui, will you post pics if possible? I found some more bits and bobs for you but won't be able to post for a couple of weeks. It's nice to have something a bit local to concentrate on but don't we all hope we never have to use it???

I bet you won't get a decision about even placement of a chair until the Quangos have been in and done an assessment so they can report back to the planning committee who will then need to meet with the suits who will then have to draw up a budget etc etc :huh:

Hope it all goes well. xx

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to post some pics but probably wouldnt be allowed because of confidentiality. However, we are planning to get the local press in after easter so if they take piccys I will post some on here because obviously then the patients will have given permission for publication.

Eldest daughter was at work today so she popped down to the department to see how it was going. She said the door to the room was shut which is a positive as it means someone was there getting advice and she said that the smell of the coffee was wondeful - much better than the usual hospital sterle smell.

Just hope the other patients visiting the department for clinics today didnt feel they were second class as there wasnt coffee and biccies for them lol.

And as for the suits well I am sure that once it is up and running and proving a success they will wave a magic wand, a room will be found and they will claim it was their idea all along. Not that we will care because it will mean the drop in sessions will continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops, bad typing! Sorry, meant the pics of the room not the patients!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that I can sort but please dont expect anything too fancy lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you still wanting cards for the drop-in centre?
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

craftycat Guest

And where should they be sent? Seem to have missed the original post and can't find anything now.