Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Zipper roses for cards

Post Thanks / Like

I've often thought about making these from old zips. Yours look stunning M123. Like Dips I'd appreciate some info on the size of rose the zips made. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the zipper roses and bought some in all the colours. Yours are brilliant Morgana, and give a softer look. Did you find them cheaper to make? I haven't a clue as to the price of zips!

Post Thanks / Like

What a spanking good idea. I've got a box of old zips somewhere!
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments. To answer the questions the two zips cost me £2.80 in total so that works out at 70p per rose. If I remember correctly the metal one was a bit more expensive and I did buy them from a shop - next time I am in Doncaster it will be zips from the sewing stall as well as ribbin and lace lol.

The black zip was 6 inch in lenght and the finished rose is 1 and a quarter inches across.

The cream zip was 16 inches in length and the finished rose is slightly larger at an inch and a half. The zip fabric for the cream rose was not as stiff so the rose wound easier and tighter, because of the metal teeth the metal zips will not wind as tight but the plus side is you dont need to buy such a large zip to get the same results.

And that is the last time a broken zip gets thrown away in this house.

I have to say that when I have seen the zipper roses on cards on tv I have been umming and aahing as to whether they are my thing or not which is why I decided to try it myself rather than buys some. I have to say that I do like them in the flesh, especially the nylon zip ones because they give a much softer look but give a nice defined edge to the rose. They certainly wont be the last ones I make.

Post Thanks / Like

Sue Wilson herself said on a show ages ago that they'd probably cost more to make yourself, and I see that CraftyRich sells 4 for £2.49. However, it's great to make something yourself from scratch and of course if you have old zips around the house, then even better! At the moment, the ready made ones are only available in a limited range of colours, so that's another bonus of making your own. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations Morgana!

Post Thanks / Like

Brother makes these zipper roses, so all the old zips are being recycled at last :
    The ones you made are lovely I like the beige one. what with Debbie Shore and recycling old clothes and now old zips I think it proves what you can use to make cards etc

Post Thanks / Like

I love them !!

Post Thanks / Like

They're lovely Jacqui, especially the cream ones. I've just found a website where they sell continuous zip 50metres for £9.03, they also have budget zips, 10 x 10" zips for £1.40 which would make them very cheap to make. I won't put the link on here as they're not sponsors but if you want it let me know and I'll send it to you.
    "Many will walk in and out of your life,
    But only true friends will leave paw prints in your heart."

Those who believe a dog has no soul have never looked in the eyes of a German Shepherd.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen zipper roses before, but I particularly like the black ; )