Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A frozen Cricut!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A frozen Cricut!

This weekend I've been loading up the Design Studio onto my laptop, which requires down-loading the new version of the software off the Cricut website so that I've got the most up to date version.
    I've been doing some designs on my laptop, fairly basic stuff but unfortunately when I've tried to cut them today, found that cutting machine itself has frozen up since I had it attached to the laptop whilst going through the installation process.
    What seems to be happening is that every time I switch the machine on, everything lights up except for the character keys, but nothing comes onto the display area and it won't accept any commands at all.
    Anyway I've tried switching it off and on, re-installing the DS software, changing the cartridge etc and nothing works. Before I go onto the Cricut site has anyone ever had this problem before and if so, how did you fix it?
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Post Thanks / Like

Silly question but have you tried resetting your cricut Marie.

Found this on the internet

Turn your machine on with no cartridge loaded.
    Roll all your dials (the two on the left and the one on the right) down to there lowest setting. This is your starting place for resetting your machine. This will sound a bit odd, but many times it can fix your little "bug".
    Roll all your dials all the way up and all the way down three times-three times for each dial.
    Press the "Cut" button and turn the machine off.
    Let the machine sit for a few minutes, load a cartridge, turn it on, and try a practice cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Tnanks for that Jeanette, I'll give it a go later on! I guess it's a bit like re-setting your computer when it freezes for no apparant reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get this sorted Marie? A lady on another forum is having exactly the same problem so I'll keep an eye out for her solution too.
    I'll make a note of your suggestion Jeanette, it sounds like it could come in handy if I get any problems with mine in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it didn't work for me unfortunately as the right hand wheel isn't stopping up or down, it's just going round and round and won't stop, which ever direction. I've emailed Provocraft Customer Support and am waiting for IW to get back to me with the contact details for the UK distributor, but someone on Provocraft's site message board said that if the r/h wheel won't stop, the machine is broken and needs to go back. So I'm waiting to hear if that's true or not. Actually just realised that I've got the name and address of the UK distributor on the user manual, so I might try to give them a call tomorrow to see if they can help. I'll let you know if I find an answer, but otherwise would be pleased if you can find any more info on this problem. Thanks, Marie

Post Thanks / Like

I've just emailed the distributor so will let you know if I get a solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Marie, you bought the machine from IW, your warranty is with them as the seller of the product which appears to be faulty.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes thanks Phree I'm aware of that but there is a sticker on the front of the leaflet taht tells you to return it to the distributor if it goes wrong. I'm waiting for IW to get back to me about it but as I doubt there's anyone at IW who has any expertise in this area, I've asked the distributor for advice before sending it back.
    No harm in asking, anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Got an email from the distributor who advised me that it's broken and needs to go back. So it's a trip to the Post Office tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't throw the box out or the packing material.
    Just been up to my local craft shop Samuel Taylor and they have it for £245, which is pretty well what I paid for it on IW. So when I've got my refund from IW, i'll get it from them. And if it goes wrong, then it's just a trip up the road to get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Got an email from the distributor who advised me that it's broken and needs to go back. So it's a trip to the Post Office tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't throw the box out or the packing material.
    Just been up to my local craft shop Samuel Taylor and they have it for £245, which is pretty well what I paid for it on IW. So when I've got my refund from IW, i'll get it from them. And if it goes wrong, then it's just a trip up the road to get it sorted.
    lets hope that the next one doesnt go wrong though Marie :( and a sensible idea to get it locally if it isnt costing you any more